• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Your favorite area as a kid.

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
I didn't want to hijack the kid's favorite thread because my step-kids are grown and have no interest in skiing or boarding.

So I only thought of MY favorite area when I was learning to ski. Long lost Berkshire Snow Basin was my favorite from late 60s to early 80s. It had herky jerky t-bars, loose stones in the lodge along with advanced intermediate terrain and all natural snow. Seemed like it snowed there every other day. It was just the best.

JDMRoma

King Ridge was my favorite, would skip school and ski for $4.95 a day !

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

SkiFanE

My parents did not learn to ski til I was a teen, but they put me on skis at 5yo (thanks Mom & Dad :) ). So our ski "trips" were after school on the bus to Nashoba Valley every half day all winter. Then my older sis had a co-op thru Northeastern to Crotched Mt. School - and she was a ski instructor there. She ended up being there 2 seasons. She got us all free tickets both winters. That's when my parents learned to ski. So for 2 years we went every weekend to Crotched Mt (the old side, not the one that's still going) and then alot after that. It was basically all I knew - I would get out with my older sibs and firend too other ski areas randomly - but I guess Crotched was my home for 2-3 winters.

Blitz...the big black diamond trail (blew out a binding tucking down the runout). Dipsy Doodle... 45minute waits for the T-bar - and if you crashed on the way up - back to the bottom and back of the line. Long waits for the chairlift too. Every afternoon for apres they'd have the german/swiss band with old skis they used as an instrument. lol. They had weekly Nastar races, $5 I think.

Have to say..when I complain about 10 minutes waits on the chairlift on holiday weekends I have to remember how bad it used to be. They had corrals - like Disney world... crazy... Basically one quick run every hour at peak times.

Ah....memories.

Angus

For the short # of years that my family skied together (mid-late '70's), we'd drive from S. Shore of Boston to King Ridge for day trips. It was a great little ski area. I would ski the trails on skiers left which was a bit steeper and serviced by t-bar. Reflecting back on it, I think the trails were spread out enough that things stayed interesting as you moved around from one part of area to the other. My other area was Attitash (pre-bear mountain) which I would get too on school ski trips...that was the big time. Doubt I've been back in winter since late 70's. Other than that I skied at Big Blue!

As I drive up/down 89 now, I always crane my neck to try and catch sight of the old trails at King Ridge.

Puck it

Big Tupper, we used to go the areas behind Ottawa to like Camp Fortune, Edlweiss and Vorlage.

Titus Mtn. and Snow Ridge were up there in high school.

This is for Warp Daddy, the old J-bar at the country club was the place where I did most of my skiing. I learned at Ace and Ann's on Black Lake at the rope tow.

Last edited:

Tin

Catamount and Berkshire East. Hit them one some crazy 20"+ days. Catapult and Liftline were so intimidating when I was 10-12 years old. I love them both because the trails and lodges have so much character. Both hills are nestled into these little corners and you never expect to see a ski area where they are. Then you come around a corner or over a river and there it is.

gmcunni

my parents were not skiers. i didn't start skiing until i was 13 or 14. my favorite place was any place i could get to.

a lot of visits locally to Big Birch (now thunder ridge). it was a "treat" to ski MT snow. Okemo sucked, not because of the terrain but back in late 70s early 80s the top half of the mountain was never open when we were there.

wa-loaf

Sugarloaf, my dad was an instructor there for a period. Also Eton Mtn in Skowhegan was fun time for night skiing especially in Jr High.

freeski

King Ridge was my favorite, would skip school and ski for $4.95 a day !
I remember skiing at King Ridge on a spring day the mountain was bare and there was a 4" storm the night before. I went with my dad and neighbor. Yep they opened with 4". It was great for the first half of the day. King Ridge was great as a kid.
My favorite was Pat's Peak. I used to go over on Thursday afternoons with my sister and neighbor (same as above) and his sister. We'd have a lesson and ski under the lights for a couple of hours. We skied on the Valley runs and the T-bar that went up the FIS trail. They had good french-fries. I haven't been back in 30 years. Around 14 started going to Loon, Cannon and Waterville Valley and Pat's was not an option anymore.

SkiFanE

my parents were not skiers. i didn't start skiing until i was 13 or 14. my favorite place was any place i could get to.

a lot of visits locally to Big Birch (now thunder ridge). it was a "treat" to ski MT snow. Okemo sucked, not because of the terrain but back in late 70s early 80s the top half of the mountain was never open when we were there.

My childhood friend had a place at Okemo. I remember going when I was about 8yo. All I remember is a freezing day, my toes had frozen and I had to wait forever for a poma lift that was halfway up the mountain. If it weren't for the frozen toes, I'd probably have no memory lol. Haven't been there since.

MadMadWorld

Wildcat. We made a week long pilgrimage every year. I had many a skiing firsts there....

First Gondola ride

First time skiing a black diamond (Wildcat trail I believe)

First time my parents let me ski alone with friends

First time I had to wait for my dad at the bottom of the trail instead of the other way around

First time breaking a bone (skiing the old lift line which is now Hairball)

So many great memories....

Tin

Wildcat. We made a week long pilgrimage every year. I had many a skiing firsts there....

First Gondola ride

First time skiing a black diamond (Wildcat trail I believe)

First time my parents let me ski alone with friends

First time I had to wait for my dad at the bottom of the trail instead of the other way around

First time breaking a bone (skiing the old lift line which is now Hairball)

So many great memories....

Did you pull a Squirrel in the gondola?

jimk

Blue Knob, PA. It had the toughest terrain around. I can't believe my Dad, a terminal intermediate who took up skiing at age 49, made it our primary destination over closer, easier hills.
dad bk.jpg
t and j bk.jpg

dlague

Jay Peak - I did not start skiing until I was a teenager and that was my home mountain and the only mountain I skied at. Even worked there for a season.

However, during my first year of college - Brodie and Mount Snow were the go to spots for us!

While in the military - Garmisch-Partenkirchen region.

Back in college post military - it was Burke.

So I guess it depends a lot on where you are in the world.

Last edited: