• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

13 year old killed at Nashoba Valley

skiNEwhere

Kinda feel bad for the GM too. You could tell he was almost speechless, first and only death at NV in 51 years

steamboat1

Unfortunately trees don't move. I know because I hit one once. Thank God I wasn't going fast at the time or I wouldn't be here. Still got hurt pretty bad.

My condolences to the family, friends & everyone involved. Way to young to lose his life. RIP

splunge

I ski a lot at nashoba, racing for my HS, really sad to hear, one of my teammates told us.

But really j don't think that was the first death at nashoba, a snow boarder named Dan Crowther who was in my sister's year, he died after slamming his head into a rail, going into a coma and died 3 days later.

BenedictGomez

Unfortunately there was basically no details in that 1:50 NECN video. Anyone know what happened? I know it's usually a situation of an advanced-beginner or lower-intermediate going too fast for their abilities, but I'm always curious as to "what happened" when these awful tragedies occur and I cant seem to find an explanation anywhere.

dlague

Unfortunately there was basically no details in that 1:50 NECN video. Anyone know what happened? I know it's usually a situation of an advanced-beginner or lower-intermediate going too fast for their abilities, but I'm always curious as to "what happened" when these awful tragedies occur and I cant seem to find an explanation anywhere.

I was curious too! Went to their Web cam to look around and notice that the run is very short.

splunge

I was curious too! Went to their Web cam to look around and notice that the run is very short.

No run on that hill is more than 40 seconds if you have any kind of speed, iirc, it has less than 150" vertical.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Gforce

I believe most skiing fatalities like tree strikes in the east and avalanche incidents out west usually involve advanced to expert skiers. This is anecdotal of course, I am not sure if there are statistics on ability levels with these terrible accidents but based on a few tragedies I had informed knowledge of-- it almost always involves skiers on the edge at high speed and/or dangerous snow conditions. Nashoba is a very small suburban ski hill so this would seem to be an outlier.

hammer

This makes me think of the accident a few years ago at Wachusett which IIRC happened on a more narrow but not really steep trail. Doesn't take much pitch to build up enough speed, especially with the frozen granular conditions we've been having recently.

Very sad.

SkiFanE

NV is my kid's home HS ski-race mountain, she was there every day last week - Friday she said conditions were great. They do have many trees dividing the trails. Very pretty. I thought I heard/read a report that said he hit a tree - which is entirely possible, given how many there are between/amidst trails. Freak accident - can happen anywhere I suppose.

splunge

NV is my kid's home HS ski-race mountain, she was there every day last week - Friday she said conditions were great. They do have many trees dividing the trails. Very pretty. I thought I heard/read a report that said he hit a tree - which is entirely possible, given how many there are between/amidst trails. Freak accident - can happen anywhere I suppose.

May I ask what school? I also race there for my highschool.

doublediamond

Sis teaches there. She said the word is that he was going way too fast and couldn't make a turn on Lobo.

In my experience, that trail can get rough and very scraped off on the best of days. I can't imagine on a holiday weekend...

Angus

BHS - very good coach from what I've heard who has program headed in right direction and an outstanding female skier already in the ranks.

splunge

BHS - very good coach from what I've heard who has program headed in right direction and an outstanding female skier already in the ranks.

Which is BHS? Bromfield? Belmont?

splunge

Sis teaches there. She said the word is that he was going way too fast and couldn't make a turn on Lobo.

In my experience, that trail can get rough and very scraped off on the best of days. I can't imagine on a holiday weekend...

Wow I didn't know it was there, we were using the course they set on lane 8 (big bow) for training on Friday. Weird thinking that a kid died right there the next day... Wow.