• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Eaton Mountain, ME, 03/21/2015

SmallSkiAreas.com

Eaton Mountain - Eaton Mountain Page at SmallSkiAreas.com
Eaton, ME
Saturday, March 21, 2015

Located near Skowhegan, Eaton Mountain has been through many challenges in recent years, including a multiple season closure (more history here). Nonetheless, the family that owns it has pressed forward and was able to get limited ski operations off the ground this winter.

About 120 vertical feet of the 550 or so ski area are now served by a handle tow. If in the area and wanting a place to learn to ski (or hit a few terrain park features), the slope features snowmaking and grooming. In addition, there is a popular snow tubing slope next to it.

The upper mountain looks to have some interesting terrain (with some legitimate steeps that aren't captured too well by the photos), however either the chairlift or (never-completed) T-Bar would have to be rebuilt to restore access. They do hope to do this in the near future, but are still seeking the necessary equipment, on a debt-free basis. In the meantime, it's good to see the area not sitting idle anymore!

wa-loaf

Skied a lot there when I was a kid. It is about 30 mins from where I grew up. It would be cool if they can get that chairlift running again. There are some short, but fun steeps from the top.