• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Thoughts on MLK Weekend

Mariewatson777

Skiing Gunstock on MLK Weekend

Historically MLK has obviously been a busy weekend.
With lack of snow and rain in the forecast for down south, what do people think about crowds this weekend?
Will mountains make up some lost revenue or will this weekend be a bust for them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This weekend we are skiing Gunstock. They have a lot of trails open!

hammer

At Ragged now...definitely busy but the lift lines aren't too bad. Getting a bit more crowded on the trails. Conditions are pretty good considering, guessing yesterday's snow helped.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

drjeff

More crowded at Mount Snow today (Sunday) than yesterday (Saturday) Even the 11:30 shuttle bus coming over to the mountain from my condo complex was full (I was done for the day already having gotten 14 runs and 18.7k vertical feet in from 8 until 11:30)!

It's likely going to end up being an MLK Weekend that is at minimum at historical averages, if not a bit ahead of them - the ski industry needs this after the start to the season it was!!

deadheadskier

Staff member
Nightmare at Wildcat. Had to wait four minutes for the lift one run.

Attachments

• 1453050833951.jpg
    1453050833951.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 143
Last edited:

Savemeasammy

ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1453071719.213766.jpgImageUploadedByAlpineZone1453071736.876076.jpg
Whaleback today. At one point I almost had to wait in a line. But I didn't.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

Savemeasammy

Whaleback is a non-profit.

They only have one trail open at this point, so it doesn't really warrant a line right now! It would be a great option for someone looking for cheap mlk day turns without crowds. Kids don't seem to care nearly as much about lapping the same trail over and over...!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

Brad J

Nightmare at Wildcat. Had to wait four minutes for the lift one run.

I have been away out west skiing last week, How are thing shaping up, decent coverage and fairly aggressive snowmaking ???? sorry that you had to endure such a crowd, hope it returns to normal for my return on Saturday !!

deadheadskier

Staff member
I have been away out west skiing last week, How are thing shaping up, decent coverage and fairly aggressive snowmaking ???? sorry that you had to endure such a crowd, hope it returns to normal for my return on Saturday !!

Moving on to Cheetah this week. Upper Catapult could use a refresher.

Posted a bunch of pics in the Wildcat thread. Today was really good

son's first lesson of the season was today at camelback...he skis with PA adaptive and they are based there so it is kind of our default home mountain...it was as busy as i've ever seen it, but we stuck to sunbowl...the upper trails actually didn't look that crowded and the snow as ok...they were blowing on several trails and it snowed a bit while we were there and on the way home

good first day to get the legs back...we blocked out the crowds of nudnicks and did pretty well for day one

Terry

Yesterday was the busiest day I have ever seen at Shawnee Peak. All parking lots full, cars parked up and down the road, and a traffic jam on the access road. Good money day for them I hope. We bailed early when the trails got to crowded.

Smellytele

Bromley Yesterday was ski on except for the main quad which only had a 2 maybe 3 minute wait.
Stratton today only had a line at the gondola which I only took once. The wind was brutal today.

catskills

This Monday evening it looked like many people were still using their high speed skiing skills on the south bound lane of the New York State Thruway between Exit 19 and 18. Within 15 miles on theThruway I saw 3 accidents in the south bound lane and yes traffic was going about as fast as a snail. Fortunately I was traveling North. ;)

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
At Crotched Mt., Sunday was the busiest day we had this season with cars in the third (last) lot. Longest line of the day on the Rocket - perhaps 3 to 4 minutes; only a minute or so for the singles line. All other lifts were ski-on. MLK Day was a good crowd. The ski areas desperately needed that to make up a little for the lost revenues of the snowless Xmas week disaster.