• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Radar Detectors

Funky_Catskills

Are they actually effective against LIDAR? I see all sorts of claims both ways, but can't find an actual study.

Depends.. But I wouldn't count on it.. When it's a nice day - I'm always on the lookout for laser traps..
Waze helps... and marking the spots on my RADAR detector warns me..

Use all my tools...

BenedictGomez

Are they actually effective against LIDAR? I see all sorts of claims both ways, but can't find an actual study.

IMO, yes.

If it goes off, you're almost certainly too late, but from my prior post, if that's the only way you think about the benefits of a radar detector, then you're not using it properly to begin with.

Laser is used from a stationary position. By the time that cop puts the unit down next to him, rolls up his window, is able to enter the highway (hopefully there's some traffic), I've already got a good head start and am looking for the next exit or a side road. The unit has done its' job, it has alerted me that I've been nailed and I need to take evasive action!

BenedictGomez

Other things to take into consideration are the fact that laser cant be used in rain, snow, sleet, fog, etc... and the fact that most places police don't have them to begin with.

HowieT2

I just wish that you could select which notifications that you want to receive. Unless it's been updated, I don't believe that you can do so. It's a HUGE shortcoming in an otherwise great app.

Not sure but I think you can do this by going to settings, display settings, show on map where you can choose to turn off road hazards and anything else.

Funky_Catskills

IMO, yes.

If it goes off, you're almost certainly too late, but from my prior post, if that's the only way you think about the benefits of a radar detector, then you're not using it properly to begin with.

Laser is used from a stationary position. By the time that cop puts the unit down next to him, rolls up his window, is able to enter the highway (hopefully there's some traffic), I've already got a good head start and am looking for the next exit or a side road. The unit has done its' job, it has alerted me that I've been nailed and I need to take evasive action!

Start stashing shti... :)

Hawkshot99

IMO, yes.

Be very careful with that. You are very close to "running from the police".

The Sneak

I have one o them new GTIs and it's a pretty quick car. It also, like many modern cars, has very little sensation of speed so you think you are going 60 and look at the speedo and you are going 85. It's just too easy to cruise at inappropriate speeds.

One thing I've noticed is that drivers of sh!tbox pickups like to blow by you in the passing line, even if you are going 90. This happened yet again on 89S, coming home from Sunapee recently.

Then again, I was driving home from BW last month and some young, ahem 'dubber' in a visibly modified older VW GTI (license plate 'MCDUBN') pulled the same maneuver. Only he sped up and slowed down repeatedly, trying to..get my attention? Challenge me to a duel? I dunno. But he surely should not have been going 100+ on those retarded cambered wheels.

skiNEwhere

Wish I had my radar detector last week. Got a ticket for going 75 in a 55. What sucks most is that this puts me in the "20-39 mph over" bracket which is a 6 point violation. Had it been 19 over it would've only been a 3 point violation. My first ticket since 2007 when I got a ticket for going 97 in an 80. That ticket was eventually conditionally dismissed (as long as I didn't get another ticket in one year in Texas, which I didn't). So now I'm thinking of getting a traffic lawyer to fight it, doubt it'll get thrown out but I'd at least like the be in the next lower bracket.

(Sorry for the threadjack)

dlague

Wish I had my radar detector last week. Got a ticket for going 75 in a 55. What sucks most is that this puts me in the "20-39 mph over" bracket which is a 6 point violation. Had it been 19 over it would've only been a 3 point violation. My first ticket since 2007 when I got a ticket for going 97 in an 80. That ticket was eventually conditionally dismissed (as long as I didn't get another ticket in one year in Texas, which I didn't). So now I'm thinking of getting a traffic lawyer to fight it, doubt it'll get thrown out but I'd at least like the be in the next lower bracket.

(Sorry for the threadjack)

Take it to court! Plea Not Guilty and show up for hearing date. No officer no ticket. If there is an officer then play dumb and get it knocked down to a three pointer. Speaking from experience!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

BenedictGomez

Be very careful with that. You are very close to "running from the police".

Not really. You're speeding to begin with. The cop cant prove the reason you got off at Exit 57 and got into the Burger King drive through line or stopped at Exxon wasn't because you're hungry or needed to fill up. Quite a different thing from a high-speed OJ chase.

Take it to court! Plea Not Guilty and show up for hearing date. No officer no ticket. If there is an officer then play dumb and get it knocked down to a three pointer. Speaking from experience!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

ScottySkis

Not really. You're speeding to begin with. The cop cant prove the reason you got off at Exit 57 and got into the Burger King drive through line or stopped at Exxon wasn't because you're hungry or needed to fill up. Quite a different thing from a high-speed OJ chase.
+1/I did that bunch of times. Cops didn't have lights on your free to travel to tehy put on the lights. I had them follow me so I went to deli I was going to anyway ate watch them run my plates and came out when I was done eating and they were gone.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Abominable

Valentine One - I don't leave home without it.

Despite driving a 30 year old truck that may have had 140hp when new, it has saved me more than a few times. It's true that the use of lane departure / radar guided cruise control / proximity warnings have increased exponentially over the past few years, and it can be an annoyance. On the V1 you can adjust that sensitivity or turn of K band altogether. Some of the little ski town sheriffs still use the K band though, so I keep it on.

It's good for situational awareness outside of just the speeding factor too. Good to know when cops are around, coming up behind you, two blocks away when you're contemplating rolling that stop sign to beat the line of ten cars stuck behind a truck going up a hill, etc. The big advantage of the V1 over other detectors is that it shows you where the signal is coming from.

Re: laser scatter, it's definitely a factor, and I've been saved at least once by this. The way the police enforce road rules these days makes it better to "push it" only when there are some other vehicles on the road. If you're the only guy out there, you're the only laser target. Most NY staties are on the KA band all the time, and you'll get a mile or more of advance warning on the highways and parkways. If you drive the same route frequently, the radar will reinforce your memory as to where the usual cops are.

SkiNEwhere - not sure about CO, but here in NY the best thing to do (from my experience) is sign up for a defensive driving course, plead not guilty and go to court. Before court you'll generally get a meeting with the prosecutor where he'll offer a plea, one level down (so if you're caught at 10+, he might offer a 0-10 over type violation). You can negotiate - in my case I said I have a clean driving record (bring official DMV copy), have signed up for the course, and negotiated down to an equipment violation (two levels down, so to speak). In my case it was important that I signed up for, but did not complete, the course (online), because you have to complete the course after the ruling, and send in evidence. No point in taking it twice. Just one bit of anecdotal evidence for you - do some googling and you'll find a good strategy for the specific department you'll be dealing with. DEFINITELY plea not guilty though. They might even offer you a plea by mail. Save some points and insurance money.

Re: CBs, I ran one in my truck for years. The usage has definitely gone down in the past 10 years, mainly due to the fact that most truckers are now on their phones instead, and with GPS and stuff they don't need to monitor the CB for traffic and whatnot. Furthermore, about half the truckers these days are transmitido on a different channel, en espanol. But they're still useful and entertaining, especially south of the mason dixon.

I don't use Waze, but google maps traffic is invaluable.

Have fun out there and be safe.

EDIT: totally unrelated, but did we lose Tuna's trip report from Kton? Was it that antagonistic?

Last edited:

Hawkshot99

I did not say that you WERE running. Just to be very careful as you are very close to that line.
Cops are not as dumb as you think they are. You are jot the first person to come up with that strategy.

makimono

Pros/Cons? The best?

Personal anecdotes?

I used to use radar detectors and regularly drive 20+ over and I got tickets all the time.

Past 10 years I haven't used a radar detector and regularly drive 10- over (except on motorcycle) and haven't had a single ticket (except on motorcycle).