• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Should Radar Guns Be Used At Ski Resorts To Slow Down Skiers & Boarders?

MidnightJester

Interesting news item out of Switzerland where the accident insurer SUVA has deployed radar gun toting employees on the slopes of ski resort to raise awareness about speed related dangers:

Could speed limit signs be the next on mountain crap shoot? Tickets are coming soon after that starts.

Last edited:

Smellytele

Interesting news item out of Switzerland where the accident insurer SUVA has deployed radar gun toting employees on the slopes of ski resort to raise awareness about speed related dangers:

Could speed limit signs be the next on mountain crap shoot? Tickets are coming soon after that starts.
Speed limits would be tough as you can't tell how fast you are going. You can only tell slow, good speed and too fast and variations of those.

drjeff

I think many a person who boasts of their slope tracking app max speed of the day would be humbled when they find out it wasn't nearly as fast as they think it was ;):ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Edd

2Planker

We had a MA State Cop as a Patroller so YES they have seen use.

I had a major hi speed yard sale 5-6 years ago. GPS said 68mph and man was I sore for 7-10 days

ne_skier

In a perfect world it takes people who can reasonably and responsibly understand their surroundings. Completely empty trail ahead with no real risk of anyone merging in? Sure, let loose a bit. Crowded trail full of clueless beginners? Keep the speed down.
Situational analysis is the key to many of skiing's issues, not just speed. Things like not stopping just beneath a roll in the hill, not slamming on the brakes in the middle of a trail, not suddenly cutting from one side of a wide, crowded trail to the other. Maybe the busy connector trail isn't the best place to show off your wall-to-wall slalom turns, etc.

BodeMiller1

Each spring I met my neighbor to walk the wall. Spring is the mistif in me and I decide to put a notion in his head.Isn't it where there are cows? And he stands behind his father's saying "good fences make good neighbors". The work of hunters is another thing...

flakeydog

Short answer- No. Without a way to self-monitor speed, what good does that do anyway?

Plus there are already enough people out there using their ski trackers, etc to claim they were "going like 60, prob 70, maybe 100" down the mountain. Best that they don't know.

Interestingly, the coach for one of our kids' high school races set up a speed trap in a GS race. He had everyone predict their speed before the race and compare after. Many, especially on the girls side, underestimated their speed. Better use for a radar gun in my opinion.

Hawk

I can truely see why Doug Combs left the US for Alaska and then Europe. Rules Enforcment more rules. Why can't people just be normal and firure it out. I tell you, my European vacations are going to get longer and longer.

Domeskier

I can truely see why Doug Combs left the US for Alaska and then Europe. Rules Enforcment more rules. Why can't people just be normal and firure it out. I tell you, my European vacations are going to get longer and longer.

Literally the first line of the article (and Jester's original post): "Interesting news item out of Switzerland where the accident insurer SUVA has deployed radar gun toting employees on the slopes of ski resort to raise awareness about speed related dangers"

kingslug

Food was better too. :)