• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Do you guys think this will be a good replacement car for skiing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hammer

Which Volvo AWDs come with a manual transmission nowadays?

FWIW my S40 just hit 100K a few weeks ago. Last issue I had was a dead battery. Will want to change the timing belt soon but last I checked the dealer was asking $600 for the job.

goldsbar

FWIW my S40 just hit 100K a few weeks ago. Last issue I had was a dead battery. Will want to change the timing belt soon but last I checked the dealer was asking $600 for the job.

$600 from a dealer? That's actually really good. Does it include the water pump? Make sure you do it at the same time or you'll just wind up doing the whole thing again in 10,000 miles.

Problem with the newer (post red block engine) turbo Volvos is that they'll last a long time IF they're properly maintained. They don't do so well if you start missing oil changes, etc. Electric gremlins are not uncommon and nothing is cheap to fix. Our 2007 XC70 has 104k and is still on the original battery (barely). Some sort of miracle of science.

Edit: Are any cars past 100k really reliable anymore? Honda and Toyota had a thing going for a while but even those aren't as good as they used to be.

Smellytele

Edit: Are any cars past 100k really reliable anymore? Honda and Toyota had a thing going for a while but even those aren't as good as they used to be.

I had a ford ranger that went 240k when I had it (still going with another owner). The only thing I ever had to do to it was oil changes, brakes and tires. Once had to change the alternator and battery.

VTKilarney

I popped into the Legacy GT forum to see if any other cars have been listed. One that was just listed has 113,000 miles and had the following work done:

During the 105K maintenance:

* Water pump
* Timing belt kit (timing belt, tensioner, idler pulleys)
* Drive belt
* Coolant flush
* Thermostat
* Light-weight crank pulley
* Oil change

During the engine repair at 108K:

* Both heads were sent out for machining.
* Engine Short Block
* Clutch Disk, CVR, Release
* Timing Belt (another new belt, but kept the same new tensioner and idler pulleys that were installed a couple of months prior)
* Ignition Coil
* Spark Plugs
* Camshaft Sensor
* Duct AY-AIR
* Engine Gasket & Seal Set
* More Seals/Plugs
* Various Clamps, Clips, Vacuum Hoses
* Oil / Filter
* Coolant

You guys weren't kidding when you said that these vehicles need a ton of work when they hit 100,000 miles or so. I notice that the vehicle that Tuna is looking at doesn't say that it has had any of this work done to it.

I'm starting to understand why the guy may be unloading it so quickly.

Tin

T5 S60. I will always go used though. $600 is an absolute steal. I would pay to have it done if that cheap. The entire kit with water pump alone is generally $200-$300. Timing belts on an interference engine are a scary thing. I would always do it early. If it says 100k, do it at 75-80. Volvo says you can wait to replace the water pump until the second timing belt but I wouldn't. If you're in there, just do it. I got quoted at $1200-$1500 in the Providence area. Need the special cam tool to hold them in place.

$600 from a dealer? That's actually really good. Does it include the water pump? Make sure you do it at the same time or you'll just wind up doing the whole thing again in 10,000 miles.

Problem with the newer (post red block engine) turbo Volvos is that they'll last a long time IF they're properly maintained. They don't do so well if you start missing oil changes, etc. Electric gremlins are not uncommon and nothing is cheap to fix. Our 2007 XC70 has 104k and is still on the original battery (barely). Some sort of miracle of science.

I choose to do preventative maintenance on mine (fuel pressure sensor and the mid 2000 2.4s had the PCV issue) things are getting older = just change, don't wait for a belt or hose to go. The turbo is indeed an issue and on any engine shortens the life span. I would say the most annoying Volvo thing is eating tires. As with all Euros, it has gremlins. Mine would not blow A/C because the temp sensor was off and if it picks up a below freezing temp it won't blow. Damn finicky.

Last edited:

Tin

During the engine repair at 108K:

* Both heads were sent out for machining.
* Engine Short Block
* Timing Belt (another new belt, but kept the same new tensioner and idler pulleys that were installed a couple of months prior)
* Ignition Coil
* Spark Plugs
* Camshaft Sensor
* Duct AY-AIR
* Engine Gasket & Seal Set
* More Seals/Plugs

Plugs not at the 30/60 interval (given how into their cars these people are) and this list of parts make me think the "repair" was the head gaskets blowing out and oil/antifreeze were pissed all over the new timing belt?

The coil/wires are common after about 7-8 years, real humid mornings or after a rain the car misfires like a SOB until it dries out. The 2.5s, because they are installed so wonderfully, take about 14" of extensions and a bunch of electrical tape, knuckles to get the plugs out and you can easily mess up the heads.

This thread is making me miss working on cars for a living. If I hit the lottery I will finish my PhD and open a garage.

bdfreetuna

As far as I can tell from his post, the car has 2 modifications:

2 which are performance related and have nothing to do with appearance of the car
2 which are directly related to the appearance of the car - HID kit and wheels

It is entirely possible that the previous owner (and potential new owner) like the way the car looks with these other wheels rather than the stock wheels - personally I don't like the stock Legacy wheels myself - and the HID kit can either be for looks or to make visibility better when lights are needed.

Either way, it is entirely possible that both the previous owner and potential new owner performed/want the modifications because of the way THEY think it looks or what they want. Now, if the car had a huge wing on the back and some disgusting vinyl decals running down it, I would absolutely agree with your assessment. However, subtle wheels and an HID kit does not scream "done for attention by teenagers" nor would most people look at the list of four (yes, 4) modifications and think they're all done for attention by "18 year old boys".

Yeah I'm pretty thrilled with the upgrades, both the mechanical and aesthetic ones. Car caught my eye instantly. Not too concerned about impressing folks at the senior center or kids on the playground with it. My Pastor is a car guy I'm sure he'll enjoy taking it for a spin.

Seems like a lot of folks on Legacy GT forums are pretty happy with the way their cars look. Always been a fan of various Subarus. There's only a few models and years I think were a bust in that department.

legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/post-your-single-best-picture-46496p2.html

That thread is 05 through 09 models. If you don't think half of those are gorgeous we'll just disagree then.

I also ride a Specialized 2004 Enduro with mad upgrades and IMO there aren't much better looking freeride bikes made to this day.

Timing belt just replaced btw.

Last edited:

bdfreetuna

Problem is, it's NOT a sweet ride. I've owned Subarus. NOBODY CARES you drive a Subaru, let alone a 8 year old sedan that looks like every other mid-00's sedan. Seriously, homeboy needs to get a clue.

Late to the party, but fascinating my thread has even managed to drag you out of the woodwork.

Probably deleting this tomorrow. People should go ski. Clearly this is taking up too much of some people's time, including my own now. We're now at the point with people mostly questioning my financial decisions and whatnot, it's becoming a little absurd and redundant. I didn't create this so that I should explain myself in every which way to people I've never met and mostly never care to meet.

Mod feel free to lock it prior to my return from Berkshire East tomorrow. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.