• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

considering quebec

KustyTheKlown

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. But we're more or less resigned to jay/stowe. The extra drive time, and the hotel costs etc...are keeping us VT bound I think. Small change we just keep driving to Tremblant.

the hotels are cheaper up there. theres a ton of <100 USD places on kayak with great reviews.

VTKilarney

Mid-week will be fine. Week-ends will be real bad.

Even at Tremblant?

We skied Orford yesterday. I really enjoyed it and there was more natural snow than I had expected, but Thursday it will rain. I would happily return, but not on the weekend. You can tell that it gets really busy on weekends.

crank

Terrain is way better at Ste Anne and Le Massif but if Tremblant is far enough north to get snow in stead of rain it makes sense.

freeski

What do you need to get over the border these days? Last time I went I could use my drivers license. Do you need a passport these days?

elks

What do you need to get over the border these days? Last time I went I could use my drivers license. Do you need a passport these days?

Passport for anyone over 16. Birth certificate for kids under 16 if traveling by land/sea. Passport for everyone if traveling by air. Just had a horrible experience with these odd rules.

skiberg

If you have any interest in skiing good snow this year go to the Tremblant area right now. Granted, this storm may mess things up a bit but there is a LOT of snow. Powder in the trees was deeper than my pole is long. In three days it never got skied off. Similar storm last week and it snowed on north side throughout. Small amount of rain on South but only on bottom 300 Vertical feet.

There are steeps to be found. Dynamite, Vertige, Zig Zag all are steeper than anything at Cannon and similar to SB or Stowe. They treat it like a real hill and allow moguls to build up. You can ski real, long, narrow, old school mogul runs filled with soft beautiful bumps all over the place. None of this nonsense of grooming half the trail. Once you commit you are skiing the entire thing.

The village is great and by far best of any East of the Mississippi. The on mountain food is excellent. Crepes and cappuccino's for mid-morning break.

Biggest negative is that there can be some flat spots on longer trails, but overall its really a great ski hill. There are also some secret gold mine ski areas very close to Tremblant that are absolutely off the hook. I leave those to you all to try and find.

moguljunkie

I've been looking into Quebec as well. I believe New Yorkers can use an enhanced driver's license instead of a passport if heading up by car. I'm applying for my EDL today (I think it takes 2 weeks to get) to hedge my bets in case NNE continues to take it on the chin in March.

VTKilarney

I've been looking into Quebec as well. I believe New Yorkers can use an enhanced driver's license instead of a passport if heading up by car. I'm applying for my EDL today (I think it takes 2 weeks to get) to hedge my bets in case NNE continues to take it on the chin in March.

Correct on the EDL, but very few states offer it.

We just used our NEXUS cards and breezed right through.

It's turning to rain right now at Bromont. We just called it a day.

KustyTheKlown

Correct on the EDL, but very few states offer it.

We just used our NEXUS cards and breezed right through.

It's turning to rain right now at Bromont. We just called it a day.

yea the stuff further west of bromont/orford/owl's head stands a better chance.

skiberg

You are right that is rude. I encourage all of you to go to Ski La Reserve. Small hill, big terrain. Cliff drops, frozen waterfalls, steep glades, good snow, absolutely empty. Freshies all day long and the only Cat Skiing operation I know of in the east outside of the Chic Chocs. One of my favorite ski areas in the World.

bigbog

Loaf is only 30 miles less driving than tremblant and lodging and lift tickets for my girlfriend who doesn't have a pass would be significantly more expensive. If I don't go to Canada, I'm going to whiteface to use vouchers, or jay to use BOGO on Sunday

No no no....sorry, brain was fixated on Mont St. Anne and/or Massif....:spin:

Last edited: