• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What angle should I sharped my edges at?

eatskisleep

Hey guys,

I tune all of my own gear. Wax skis bvefore every race etc... but thats my racing skis. I sharpen them at a 2 or 88 (depending on how you look at it) angle for GS and Slalom...

So my question is:

What angle do I sharpen my "play" skis at? I ski everything: groomers (altough if the conditions are right I try to stay off of them) bumps, woods, etc. Thanks.

NYDrew

check with the manufacturer of the ski. They design the ski for a specific cut, chances are it is a 1-2 or a 1-3 (89-88, 89-87)

SKIQUATTRO

Tognar has a chart of ski manufacture and suggested edge anles. K2 and Atomic are 1 base 3 side..

Goblin84

yeah, you will have to tune up yout 3's more often, but it sounds like you do a fair amount of tuning so that shouldnt be an issue.

tognar also has some charts for the different types of skiers (beg, advanced...what not)

I tune mine to .75/2 ....it treats me pretty well

eatskisleep

Anyone know where I can find a chart for Salamon 720s? They're are 160s if that matters?

eatskisleep

Really? I just got this email form them?
All of our alpine skis come factory tuned at one degree/one degree.

Regards,

ash trace
consumer services
Salomon North America
p. 1.800.654.2668
f. 1.971.234.7002

But, I think I might just go with a 2 degree side.

BeanoNYC

Really? I just got this email form them?
All of our alpine skis come factory tuned at one degree/one degree.

Regards,

ash trace
consumer services
Salomon North America
p. 1.800.654.2668
f. 1.971.234.7002

But, I think I might just go with a 2 degree side.

I'm 99% positive I read a 2 degree angle in the Tognar Catalogue the other day. If not I gave my friend the wrong information. I'm not home, so I can't check right now.

SKIQUATTRO

i know the free gear booklet Tognar sends out has it...great tips on the website though

koreshot

You could try zero degrees on the base.... if you want the skis to really REALLY hook up :)

I have always done 1 degree on the base cause i have heard anything less than that and the ski gets pretty hooky/scary... but im tempted to go to zero and see what happens.

woollatr

Wish I knew about this stuff a few weeks ago...

We have a access to a tune shop here at school for being part of the ski club and the kids down there told me to go 0 base. Did that and it didn't seem too bad, they definitely held through anything, I was carving on ice like it wasn't there. I'll have to keep this is mind for my next sharpening endeavor.