The NEW Magic Mountain - Page 141

AlpineZone

Page 141 of 169 FirstFirst ... 4191131139140141142143151 ... LastLast
Results 1,401 to 1,410 of 1688
    Quote Originally Posted by Newpylong View Post
    That's heavy I had 5 more plugs put in last year it was around 15K parts and labor. We trench and put the plywood/posts up, they do the hookups.

6" .219 wall for air was like $11/foot last I looked so you're looking at about 30k for pipe delivered if KS is like 2500 feet long. You could do 4" air too for prob $8/ft. Need ball valves too. Might be a toss up putting an air line vs more plugs. Only team Magic knows whats best!

They already has their Arecos.

We went full 8" @.375" everywhere when we replaced everything in the base area. Even air! I want the next time they need to be addressed to be my grandkids' problem. The only thing that got 4" was water return lines, which are only providing backpressure and safety flow anyways. More importantly, we took out several hack job pipe "repairs" that literally consisted of 8" pipe with a flat plate welded on the end, a little hole flame cut into the plate, a 6" 90 degree elbow with another similar flat plate welded on the end of that, and back up to 8" again. We knew something like that was there due to mathematical deficiencies observed at hydrants above it, bit I still couldn't believe my eyes when we unearthed it/them. Also our West side feed was a 6" valve in the middle of 8" pipe all this time! Unacceptable!!! Our wide-open sustained pressure increased dramatically after we fixed everything, which really helped us get that water out there as well as run low-e guns higher up, not to mention improves start speed and shutdown safety (neck downs can hold water which will freeze and can create jams when restarting etc.)

It's such an interesting situation to be in because the system was designed as a full loop originally, but prior regimes turned it into a dead head tree and replaced a bunch of 8" with 6" in areas we are still pulling out, especially going up Wiz. Give me a few years though and we will have this baby purring like a kitten again, better than it ever was for pennies on the dollar. It's a daunting task to try to plan this all out in an incremental fashion that is both attainable and affordable, and in a way that's in line with how we're trying to expand our early season operational plans a la Green Chair and a Turkey Day opening date.

My OCD has it's hands full, that's for sure. Every time we complete a project I sleep good for like a week and then it's back to having long conversations with my ceiling and hours spent in the "war room" scratching my head, reevaluating timelines and budgets etc. when reality's inevitable curveballs come screaming in. Magic is such a complicated organism it's tough to stay on top of, but we are doing it pretty damn well IMO.

Do Work thanks for all of the details. Its amazing what you have done in addition to what us tourists can easily see. Its also so depressing what previous hack jobs were done! Even I know better than to slot in a 6" valve or 6" section in the midst of 8" pipe. WTF? And to dead end an efficient loop system? Almost as bad as selling vs. leasing cell tower land! Keep up the good work. Looking forward to volunteer day(s) this fall, and maybe turkey day skiing at Magic????
    2017/18 = 37
    2016/17 = 31
    2015/16 = Depressing
    2014/15 = 28
    2013/14 = 27

Quote Originally Posted by slatham View Post
    Do Work thanks for all of the details. Its amazing what you have done in addition to what us tourists can easily see. Its also so depressing what previous hack jobs were done! Even I know better than to slot in a 6" valve or 6" section in the midst of 8" pipe. WTF? And to dead end an efficient loop system? Almost as bad as selling vs. leasing cell tower land! Keep up the good work. Looking forward to volunteer day(s) this fall, and maybe turkey day skiing at Magic????

Thanks Steve. It has really been an all-consuming task to try to wrap our heads around the true scope of the project and figuring out cost effective ways and orders in which to tackle everything is always a challenge. It is truly a wonder that it was able to run all those years like that.

Super rewarding though, watching this place tangibly improve every day, seeing the customer base blossom in front of our eyes and hearing all the wonderful feedback from our patrons is one of the most fulfilling things I have ever been a part of. We are truly building an institution and that's exactly how everyone on staff here feels- it's not just skiing to us.

I'll be popping back in when I can to update everyone and as always will try to answer questions as best I can. Thanks for the positive encouragement and keep spreading the good word about Magic!

Thread needs some color. All from this past season.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I never gave any consideration to Magic but now I'm intrigued after reading this thread. I just put it on the hit list for this coming winter.

Quote Originally Posted by Killingtime View Post
    I never gave any consideration to Magic but now I'm intrigued after reading this thread. I just put it on the hit list for this coming winter.
    You won't like it.

Dog Days​
    Hard to believe that August is upon us. Summer is getting stickier and fall is right around the corner so everybody here is already prepping for w-i-n-t-e-r. That means our crew will all be "working lke dogs" to get Magic ready for you.​
    But, we are also enjoying summer here with disc golf, hiking, live music, and the great food and beverage service at the BLT. Last weekend saw the first of what will be more uphill extreme running events here at Magic. There was a good turnout for the Redline Scramble with world records set for the ascent up this steep trail (17:20 set by Josh Ferenc). Congratulations go out to all the competitors who even made it up, but especially at the unbelieveable times set by Josh and the top female runner, Katherine Ogden at 19:07. Also, thanks to the Magic Mountain Outing Club and Mike Owens who put on the event! ​
    On the large project front, Pfister Mountain Services is making good progress on the new Green Lift with upper bullwheel installation slated for this coming week, and haul cable soon to follow! The lift installation is currently on track to be completed this month.​
    The latest timing on permitting approvals for the snowmaking pond expansion and the Black Line Quad puts initiation of work most likely around September 1 if approved. This should be enough time for the pond work to get done this year. The Quad chair installation by winter is a much less certain proposition at that point. Our lift contractor is currently assessing the situation but we will be prepared with two scenarios: 1) Initiation and completion of the Quad install for this winter if timing allows, which would include tear down of the current Black Chair; 2) Initiation of Quad install this fall and completion next summer, which would include retaining the current Black Chair for use this winter. We will keep you posted as always as plans and permitting are finalized.​
    The Magic Mountain National Disc Golf Course has been getting more and more play in between the thunderstorms. Our big charity event is coming up on August 25th both here and at Tater Hill Golf Club. It's our 2nd Annual Master Magician Golf/Disc Golf Biathlon, presented by Fiddlehead Brewing. So save the date and start putting your two-person scramble team together for a fun day and evening of competition, live music (Fennario--music open to all), lunch, dinner, prizes and some of Vermont's finest beer! (Information and registration is here)
    The Black Line Tavern (please follow BLT in FB) is here for you Thursdays-Sundays, with tonight's Locals Dinner featuring specials like Cheese Steak Sandwiches, Baked Mac & Cheese and Grilled Chicken over Rice with fresh Vegetables--each under $10--plus our regular full menu! Then there's Friday Magicritas with 50 cent Wings special tomorrow. So stop on by to play, hike, and enjoy the mountain views and company!​
    We're very excited about the final installation of the Green Chair this month at it really adds to the accessibility of Magic for all skier abilities and allows us to open the lower East Side of the mountain for skiing and riding potentially by late November/early December. These projects take time but, in the end, the ski experience will keep getting better and better for all at Magic.​
    Hope to see you here in August. Think Sun!​
    - Geoff
    SKI MAGIC LLC
    Where skiing still has its soul

2010/11 - 30days 2011/12 - 29days 2012/13 - 40 days 2013/14 - 39 days 2014/15 - 42 days
    2015/2016 -27 days 2016/17 - 51 days 2017/18 - 57 days

Paint it White Rusty, Paint it White.....
    2017/18 = 37
    2016/17 = 31
    2015/16 = Depressing
    2014/15 = 28
    2013/14 = 27

Quote Originally Posted by Smellytele View Post
    Dog Days​
    Hard to believe that August is upon us. Summer is getting stickier and fall is right around the corner so everybody here is already prepping for w-i-n-t-e-r. That means our crew will all be "working lke dogs" to get Magic ready for you.​
    But, we are also enjoying summer here with disc golf, hiking, live music, and the great food and beverage service at the BLT. Last weekend saw the first of what will be more uphill extreme running events here at Magic. There was a good turnout for the Redline Scramble with world records set for the ascent up this steep trail (17:20 set by Josh Ferenc). Congratulations go out to all the competitors who even made it up, but especially at the unbelieveable times set by Josh and the top female runner, Katherine Ogden at 19:07. Also, thanks to the Magic Mountain Outing Club and Mike Owens who put on the event! ​
    On the large project front, Pfister Mountain Services is making good progress on the new Green Lift with upper bullwheel installation slated for this coming week, and haul cable soon to follow! The lift installation is currently on track to be completed this month.​
    The latest timing on permitting approvals for the snowmaking pond expansion and the Black Line Quad puts initiation of work most likely around September 1 if approved. This should be enough time for the pond work to get done this year. The Quad chair installation by winter is a much less certain proposition at that point. Our lift contractor is currently assessing the situation but we will be prepared with two scenarios: 1) Initiation and completion of the Quad install for this winter if timing allows, which would include tear down of the current Black Chair; 2) Initiation of Quad install this fall and completion next summer, which would include retaining the current Black Chair for use this winter. We will keep you posted as always as plans and permitting are finalized.​
    The Magic Mountain National Disc Golf Course has been getting more and more play in between the thunderstorms. Our big charity event is coming up on August 25th both here and at Tater Hill Golf Club. It's our 2nd Annual Master Magician Golf/Disc Golf Biathlon, presented by Fiddlehead Brewing. So save the date and start putting your two-person scramble team together for a fun day and evening of competition, live music (Fennario--music open to all), lunch, dinner, prizes and some of Vermont's finest beer! (Information and registration is here)
    The Black Line Tavern (please follow BLT in FB) is here for you Thursdays-Sundays, with tonight's Locals Dinner featuring specials like Cheese Steak Sandwiches, Baked Mac & Cheese and Grilled Chicken over Rice with fresh Vegetables--each under $10--plus our regular full menu! Then there's Friday Magicritas with 50 cent Wings special tomorrow. So stop on by to play, hike, and enjoy the mountain views and company!​
    We're very excited about the final installation of the Green Chair this month at it really adds to the accessibility of Magic for all skier abilities and allows us to open the lower East Side of the mountain for skiing and riding potentially by late November/early December. These projects take time but, in the end, the ski experience will keep getting better and better for all at Magic.​
    Hope to see you here in August. Think Sun!​
    - Geoff
    SKI MAGIC LLC
    Where skiing still has its soul
    Ok, mind is blown by part of this update, since if I understand the route of the mentioned uphill foot race correctly, it was basically straight up the length of the Redline to the summit, and if so, the winner's time being essentially what the time it takes to ride the Red to the top!!!!

Impressive!!!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using AlpineZone mobile app
    '07--08 season: 51 Days, '08-'09 season: 55 Days, '09-'10 season: 41 Days, '10-'11 season: 49 days, '11-'12 season: 40 Days '12-'13 season: 57 days, '13-'14 season, 60 days '14-'15 season 60 days, '15-'16 season 52 days, '16-'17 season: 50 days, '17-'18 season 52 days, '07-'18 seasons: 567 Days

Quote Originally Posted by drjeff View Post
    Ok, mind is blown by part of this update, since if I understand the route of the mentioned uphill foot race correctly, it was basically straight up the length of the Redline to the summit, and if so, the winner's time being essentially what the time it takes to ride the Red to the top!!!!

Impressive!!!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using AlpineZone mobile app
    Uh....I can barely get down Redline in the uphill ride time unless conditions are perfect...
    2018-2019 0 days and holding...

"Skiing is the closest you'll get to flying without leaving the ground." -snowmonster

Thread Information