• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The race for opening day is on

Jully

I would have to disagree. The web cam makes it appear they are not even half way down upper Rime. But it is full on white, which is nice.

Definitely not a test. While the guns are indeed not on all the way down Rime based on the webcam, they posted their adorable winter starts when we say so video on Twitter and are advertising it as not a test there as well!!

dlague

Definitely not a test. While the guns are indeed not on all the way down Rime based on the webcam, they posted their adorable winter starts when we say so video on Twitter and are advertising it as not a test there as well!!

This has to be a test. The sustained temps are above freezing for the next 3 days so what little they made will not last, if it does it will minimal. Even the ground temp is too warm right now.

http://www.mountain-forecast.com/peaks/Killington-Peak/forecasts/1291

songfta

Website
www.randomduck.com
Is there any particular reason they do such a deep base? Are crowds substantially worse? Or is it just policy?

Part of it is that they have bigger rocks on their slopes than you see in the east: less landscaping of the trails, etc. So an 18" base will minimize the chances of rocks being exposed.

And FWIW, they do run their snow guns past October 31st, especially with changing climate patterns. Sure, they may not run top-to-bottom, but the guns will run until there is enough snowpack to sustain the trails, when thin patches develop, and if there is a prolonged thaw event before, say, March 15th.

Last edited:

Jully

4aprice

I agree that it makes no sense, but 6 is a long time. I think they're just gambling on the weather changing enough to make it worth it. This is ridiculously aggressive, but I'm not complaining!

If you blow it in to mounds and don't spread it out, much of it is insulated and it remains longer. My local PA mountain has done this in the face of a thaw and come back to it later. I know tonight is supposed to be pretty cold in NNJ. Maybe they see more favorable conditions after next weekend.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

steamboat1

Never said test, but not an effort to open either. I believe the K1 is open today for foliage sightseeing, so it's marketing snow!
K-1, Snowshed & Ramshead lifts are all open today for mountain biking. Yes scenic rides on K-1 are also available. They plan on running the same lifts again next weekend for MTB & scenic rides.

dlague

K-1, Snowshed & Ramshead lifts are all open today for mountain biking. Yes scenic rides on K-1 are also available. They plan on running the same lifts again next weekend for MTB & scenic rides.

Conditions will favorable towards he end of next week - exactly why they extended MTB for one more weekend.

dlague

Well things have come to a screeching halt in CO

It's been pretty warm up here at Loveland Ski Area. The snow guns have been off since Friday at 2:00pm. The Trail Maintenance crew was busy pushing snow out today in the PistenBullyUSA on Catwalk and Mambo. Now we just play the waiting game until we can turn the snow guns back on. We'll keep you updated with any snowmaking news.

But this is still nice to see!

14606299_10153781537856193_7749125534470937634_n.jpg

Jully

Sunday River, Wildcat, and Attitash all just posted about snowmaking. SR says starting next week while Atticat both said coming soon.

mriceyman

Sunday River, Wildcat, and Attitash all just posted about snowmaking. SR says starting next week while Atticat both said coming soon.

Coming soon is kind of like saying winter is coming and at somepoint we will make snow. Could be 2 weeks or a month. You know the river will make at first real opportunity.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

dlague

Sure I will make a bet with anyone that winter does come this winter for better or for worse - banking on better.

Jully

Coming soon is kind of like saying winter is coming and at somepoint we will make snow. Could be 2 weeks or a month. You know the river will make at first real opportunity.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Very true. SR was a real post though at least.