• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Jay Peak 1/9, my last trip

Tin

Woods were fantastic. Trails were on the icy side of firm. Canyonland, Deliverance, Kitz, Timbuk, Orchard, and Staircase skied fantastic. Were were stuck to the Bonnie and Jet thanks to an absolutely bull shit wind hold, we hiked up to Tux Chute, never experienced a wind of 10 knots. Never had wind crushing us coming off the Bonnie. Zero reason for a wind hold. Out of my ten days so far this year it was probably the calmest in terms of winds.

Today was the last straw, I will never be returning to Jay. The snow report at 6:30am hinted they wouldn't be spinning upper mountain lifts as the tram would be "delayed in the morning for maintenance" and "groomers reported 35 mph winds over night". We were already to St. Johnsbury when I read it or else I would have turned around.

Then 8am Flyer closed for the day due to "high winds". Tram finally started spinning unloaded around 1:30 and we saw it make multiple trips up and back in spite of the "high winds".

I do believe there are times when they are legitimate, but today was not it. Employees and staff (as well as AZ forum members) have mentioned it, and when I was there a couple times ago I just figured it was due to the trail conditions. But today I experienced/got screwed by it first hand. Many people on the hill were complaining. No reason for it what so ever. I hope whoever buys Jay cans the assholes who make these decisions. Seven hours in a car for the Bonnie and Jet. Ate up a ton of our day traversing around to get back to the Bonnie. Skied from about 9:30 to 2:30 and got in a whopping ten runs. Thanks!

canyonland.jpg

Last edited:

Zermatt

Monday in early January...seems like par for the course at ski areas across the country.

I saw Crested Butte closed mid day due to too much snow. More like not enough patrol and not enough skiers to keep the terrain safe by skiing it down.

bdfreetuna

That sucks. I've sworn off Jay before, for different reasons but also related to their unprofessionalism. But Mountain Sports Club 2-for-1s make it worth a trip or two in the spring. At least I don't pay full price. Wouldn't even try going there on a weekday as from what I gather, and your report reinforces it, they are slack at running lifts when they don't have the crowds.

Sounds like you burned a bunch of time with the Chutes hike and Staircase. Maybe bad strategy, but if you're determined go for it.

It is totally unacceptable though. People like you and me who have to drive 7 hours for day trips can really get screwed. Jay Peak needs to start looking at the weather forecast, and their available staff and operating funds honestly, and letting people know the night before if they are going to be operating short on lifts.

jimk

If it makes you feel any better. It's nothing new. The one and only day I went to Jay Peak was a weekday in Feb 1989. I live in VA and don't get to that part of the ski world too often. It was a seemingly normal day to me with little wind. The tram was closed all day on wind hold. Being a tourist I figured maybe there were strong gusts on the summit, but it was kind of a disappointment. The fact that they might be "economizing" certainly crossed my mind. Felt like I never got to see what Jay is really all about. But I had several good days including a powder day at Smuggs on that trip.

Tin

Sorry about that long haul Jimk. Glad to see I'm not the only one, 4 days at Jay the past 3 seasons and I've yet to ride the Flyer or tram.

The fact their rep came on here last week to address that they don't close lifts to save cost and this happens was a real slap in the face.

Jcb890

Sorry about that long haul Jimk. Glad to see I'm not the only one, 4 days at Jay the past 3 seasons and I've yet to ride the Flyer or tram.

The fact their rep came on here last week to address that they don't close lifts to save cost and this happens was a real slap in the face.
Yeah, I was the one who posted about this and their rep (Steve) was very adamant with me in regards to this. Honestly, he can come on the forum and say whatever he wants, but actions speak louder than words (spoken or typed). They can sit here and tell us that they don't close the Tram or Flyer for any reasons other than safety, but it is not a very believable stance. It would be one thing if it was just me thinking this or just you noticing this or it happened once a few seasons ago... unfortunately, it is multiple times each season and they all coincidentally seem to fall on weekdays with low crowds... shocking!

I like the mountain a lot, I like their terrain a lot. I like going up and supporting the local economy. The local economy really needs it badly. When you're spending 4-5+ hours in a car each way, it is tough to not feel wronged when lifts aren't spinning for seemingly no reason.

I have friends who came up the week before Christmas from Virginia, a 12+ hour drive each way. They came up and stayed an entire week, spending money in the town of Montgomery, at Jay, etc. I have been up to Jay with him 3 times now, he makes his way up every year. Each and every day that week, operations lied to this group of friends telling them both the Flyer and Tram would be fixed and running the next day. This was the message Monday and Tuesday. Finally on Wednesday they conceded that they "hoped" the Tram would be up and running tomorrow (for Thursday), but that it might not be up and running until Saturday. Unsurprisingly, the Tram never opened all week, but was ready for Christmas weekend on Saturday or Sunday (I forget when it was working again). Flyer did open later in the week thankfully (Wednesday), otherwise that would have just been pathetic. Though the day the Flyer did open, it was delayed... I know, shocking.

I also thought their "dedication" to opening new trails/terrain rested somewhere between quite lacking and flat out pathetic. Plenty of snow and depth, just nobody there grooming and moving snow around or setting up the trail. Delayed opening of trails, for what reason? Not good ones! Ski Patrol didn't setup warning signs/netting/etc. the afternoon or evening before, so instead they started at 10 AM and got the trail open for 11 AM or Noon.

JimG.

Staff member
I would have been pissed if I had taken 2 days to ski there this week and lifts were closed. Your TR diverted me and I took a day trip to K instead.

You kind of have to expect that because the resort is essentially bankrupt.

Tin

I would have been pissed if I had taken 2 days to ski there this week and lifts were closed. Your TR diverted me and I took a day trip to K instead.

You kind of have to expect that because the resort is essentially bankrupt.

I was worried you were heading up, glad to hear it. Did you hit some good fresh stuff at K yesterday?. When I looked even the Bonnie was on hold yesterday but it was legit, some wild winds yesterday.

JimG.

Staff member
I was worried you were heading up, glad to hear it. Did you hit some good fresh stuff at K yesterday?. When I looked even the Bonnie was on hold yesterday but it was legit, some wild winds yesterday.

Heh, no nothing fresh it was cut up and very thin in places but a lot of fun. I was impressed that they allowed so much thin cover to remain open.

Sure the snow at Jay is much better but a non holiday weekend might be a better bet for me to make a multi-day trip. At least a better bet for more lifts to be open. Although I have always enjoyed lapping the Jet it is not a fast lift.

Tin

Heh, no nothing fresh it was cut up and very thin in places but a lot of fun. I was impressed that they allowed so much thin cover to remain open.

Sure the snow at Jay is much better but a non holiday weekend might be a better bet for me to make a multi-day trip. At least a better bet for more lifts to be open. Although I have always enjoyed lapping the Jet it is not a fast lift.

Oh well, I'm sure it was better than the firm conditions at Jay!

I wonder if they are becoming a bit more liberal with trail openings after the mass poaching early this year. Can't take away everyone's passes and tickets! :grin: