Killington - Bear Mountain "Revitalization" - Page 2

AlpineZone

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    The mountain is designed pretty well it just takes a little while to get to know all the options. If you find yourself going sideways all day, you're doing it wrong. Point your skis downhill and enjoy the nearest trail.

2016/2017: * = powder day
    Berkshire East [January 16, February 10]
    Bolton Valley [January 1, February 5*, February 19]
    Burke [December 17*, January 28*]
    Heavenly [March 5*, March 11]
    Jay Peak [January 29*, April 9]
    Jiminy Peak [November 26]
    Killington [December 4, December 10, April 8*, April 15]
    Kirkwood [March 8]
    Mad River Glen [February 25]
    Magic [February 13*]
    Mt Rose [March 7*]
    Mountain Snow [April 3]
    Northstar [March 10]
    Okemo [November 23]
    Pico [January 7*, February 18, March 19]
    Smuggler’s Notch [January 22]
    Stratton [February 4]
    Stowe [January 21]
    Sugarbush [January 2]
    Telluride [March 27, March 28*]
    Whiteface [February 12]

yea, k just needs to be skied strategically. like you shouldn't ever be like "ok I'm going to get from Snowdon to Bear in one run", because you're gonna waste time traversing across the place when instead you can ski Snowdon quad to K-1, K-1 to Superstar, Superstar to Bear Mountain (etc) and get 4500 vertical feet of actual terrain skiing in, instead of skating across long stupid connector trails for 45 min
    ~the stars turn, and a time presents itself~

Yeah, in high school I skied there a ton and our best days were when you just enjoyed one pod for a while and then moved on, instead of kind of chasing the trails around...."Scott wants to ski Devils fiddle! Let's go!.....Hey, I just our our friends are over on Superstar....told them we'd meet them at the bottom.....yadda, yadda...." then you are just killing yourself.....

I remember one year - this is probably the last time I skied K-ton until last year when I went for a day - was trying to get from our condo, which was ski on, but way out lookers left of Bear, to the base of the old three stage Gondi - the very base.... It dumped snow, so all the traverse trails were engrossed, flat and just exhausting, and I had to take two lifts before skiing down. Was 45 minutes late for the hook up, and I completely ate it under the lift line of the second lift I had to ride in knee deep powder....

Day got significantly better after that.

The Zoning board gives green light for the luxury condo phase. Lets hope the lodge remodel and new lift are in for next season.

http://www.rutlandherald.com/article...zoning-change/
    And on the seventh day, Ullr created Magic Mountain...

Hard to believe they can get through Act 250, and sell the units in 6 months when construction would have to begin.

I just hope if the condos get tied up the South Ridge chair and Bear lodge revamp still happen by 2018.
    2017-2018 1 Day and counting...
    Mount Snow: 11/12
    "Skiing is the closest you'll get to flying without leaving the ground." -snowmonster

The South Ridge replacement is definitely at the top of my short list of highly anticipated lift replacements. Can't wait to see that. I know people will hate "the goods" being found but it's just too hard to realistically get any runs in there now, and the trails are great over there.

Love South Ridge. Short of a high speed lift, I don't think it will "discovered" anymore than when the old lift was there once the newness wears off

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app

I think they realistically need to replace and reconnect the pipes on Lower Pipe Dream. Seems like a big investment to only have one green square connector to the lift with snowmaking.

Quote Originally Posted by Newpylong View Post
    I think they realistically need to replace and reconnect the pipes on Lower Pipe Dream. Seems like a big investment to only have one green square connector to the lift with snowmaking.
    The lift is much more important than the terrain in the "pod" it serves. Without it/or the Snowshed crossover you have to take the Skye Peak Quad to get over to the K1 side of the hill. It sucks.
    2017-2018 1 Day and counting...
    Mount Snow: 11/12
    "Skiing is the closest you'll get to flying without leaving the ground." -snowmonster

Quote Originally Posted by ss20 View Post
    The lift is much more important than the terrain in the "pod" it serves. Without it/or the Snowshed crossover you have to take the Skye Peak Quad to get over to the K1 side of the hill. It sucks.
    Yeah, the mountain is broken without it. I can appreciate some folks enjoying the terrain holding fresh tracks longer because you can't lap it, but SPE lines can be horrendous.

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app

Thread Information