Summer 2017 Resort Upgrades - Page 8

AlpineZone

Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by deadheadskier View Post
    While it is limited, I'm actually a big fan of the night life that Sugarloaf does have. With everything on the shuttle or within walking distance, it's easy to party.
    I'm pretty much with you on that; I didn't intend to complain about nightlife but, because I want to be close to it I get stuck with their lodging too.

I try to hit multiple places in a night, including Gepettos, the Double Diamond in the hotel, and the Sugarloaf Inn bar, all of which are open in the evening. We'll usually start at The Rack and get driving out of the way before we settle in at the village.

Quote Originally Posted by Edd View Post
    I'm pretty much with you on that; I didn't intend to complain about nightlife but, because I want to be close to it I get stuck with their lodging too.

I try to hit multiple places in a night, including Gepettos, the Double Diamond in the hotel, and the Sugarloaf Inn bar, all of which are open in the evening. We'll usually start at The Rack and get driving out of the way before we settle in at the village.
    Bus goes to the rack. I have hit the SL inn (shipyard) good for a mellow time. DD sucks at least when I have been there.
    2010/11 - 30days 2011/12 - 29days 2012/13 - 40 days 2013/14 - 39 days 2014/15 - 42 days
    2015/2016 -27 days 2016/17 - 51 days

If they redo the gondola on the cheap, maybe they look to upgrade the seven brothers chair at some point to move people out of the base faster?

You make a good point about the barn and lack of real estate for people to line up for a chair with skis on.

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app
    Funny you mention Seven Brothers. It was suppose to be upgraded to a HSQ but instead the triple got Boyne's first carpet loader. Doubt they do anything with that now.

Sent from my SM-T900 using AlpineZone mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Sacadelic_Skier View Post
    lodging at sugarloaf... too funny
    And how is that exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by Jully View Post
    And how is that exactly?
    I am also quick to offer constructive criticism of lodging at the Loaf, but to be fair, there are plenty of other resorts that have copious B- or C+ product to offer in terms of lodging. I guess it's just the nature of the beast, but there are condos that time forgot all over the place. I've definitely stayed in rooms at Long Trail House at Stratton for $450/night that are pretty embarrassing- cheap 20 year old home depot grade finishes, coil stoves in the kitchen, closets doors falling off, bedding from the early 90's. I'll forgive a lot though when you're given a gas fireplace. The only place I've seen on the east coast that really nails lodging on the east coast is Stowe. Stowe Mountain Lodge is incredibly nice.

Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy80 View Post
    I am also quick to offer constructive criticism of lodging at the Loaf, but to be fair, there are plenty of other resorts that have copious B- or C+ product to offer in terms of lodging. I guess it's just the nature of the beast, but there are condos that time forgot all over the place. I've definitely stayed in rooms at Long Trail House at Stratton for $450/night that are pretty embarrassing- cheap 20 year old home depot grade finishes, coil stoves in the kitchen, closets doors falling off, bedding from the early 90's. I'll forgive a lot though when you're given a gas fireplace. The only place I've seen on the east coast that really nails lodging on the east coast is Stowe. Stowe Mountain Lodge is incredibly nice.
    Oh certainly. Again, the condos in the Attitash Village are a similar vintage / feel IMO. While there are definitely older condos in VT too, I think overall VT has newer, fancier lodging than NH and ME, Loon being a big exception. While there is certainly newer stuff at SL too, it is a lot harder to get and even harder to find. Most people staying there will be in an older condo. I personally don't mind that at all as the fancier stuff isn't my style and is certainly more expensive than my style.

I really loved the Saddleback condos you could stay in (RIP). Those were perfect IMO, new, but still very affordable and on mountain.

Another thing about SL that I love is the plethora of affordable on-mountain condos (albeit older). Seems that so many places are moving toward more expensive on mountain options and if you want cheaper you have to be at least a 5-10 minute drive.

One option to perhaps give owners at all ski areas an incentive to update their units is to offer pictures of each unit and allow guests to pick their unit kind of like you pick airline or sporting event seats.

In looking at Sugarloaf's lodging booking, currently it's set up with a star rating system. That enables guests to somewhat know the quality of the unit they are renting, but there's still quite a bit of variance in upkeep within those units.

To save the time/expense of setting up such a system, they could require unit orders to upload pictures annually to the reservation system in order to be in the rental pool. By employing such a system, the best quality units would get booked first and more often. If an owner wants their unit to generate the most rental income possible, it's in their best interest to keep it updated.

Deadheadskier- that's a great idea and a practical one at that.

One option to perhaps give owners at all ski areas an incentive to update their units is to offer pictures of each unit and allow guests to pick their unit kind of like you pick airline or sporting event seats.

In looking at Sugarloaf's lodging booking, currently it's set up with a star rating system. That enables guests to somewhat know the quality of the unit they are renting, but there's still quite a bit of variance in upkeep within those units.

To save the time/expense of setting up such a system, they could require unit orders to upload pictures annually to the reservation system in order to be in the rental pool. By employing such a system, the best quality units would get booked first and more often. If an owner wants their unit to generate the most rental income possible, it's in their best interest to keep it updated.

The star system you speak of is a Boyne concept and one of the drivers that got SR out of the on mountain condo management business. Many factors, but the star rating system was definitely one of them.

Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by machski View Post
    The star system you speak of is a Boyne concept and one of the drivers that got SR out of the on mountain condo management business. Many factors, but the star rating system was definitely one of them.

Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app
    How did the star rating get them out? Owners were unhappy with it?

Thread Information