Ski Magazine 2017-18 Eastern Resort Rankings - Page 7

AlpineZone

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 84
  1. #61
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I can relate. It's tough when you shell out a bunch of money, but have no voice as to how that money is spent.
    Can you not attend local town meetings?


  2. #62
    Quote Originally Posted by Jully View Post
    Can you not attend local town meetings?
    You could potentially, but often they are during the week when 2nd homeowners aren't around. You can't vote so they can listen to you at the meetings and then just ignore you anyway if all the locals want to go in a certain direction.

  3. #63
    Quote Originally Posted by cdskier View Post
    I Current rates (as well as links to rates for the past 6 years for every town in VT) are all available here: http://tax.vermont.gov/property-owne...tion-tax-rates.
    Quickly eyeballing that it looks like they jack up the towns in/by many of the ski areas.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC



  4. #64
    Quote Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
    Quickly eyeballing that it looks like they jack up the towns in/by many of the ski areas.
    Doesn't shock me!

  5. #65
    Quote Originally Posted by cdskier View Post
    You could potentially, but often they are during the week when 2nd homeowners aren't around. You can't vote so they can listen to you at the meetings and then just ignore you anyway if all the locals want to go in a certain direction.
    Yup, same thing in Dover where my 2nd home is. The town meetings are typically on some Tuesday or Wednesday, late afternoon/early evening during some obscure time of the year far from typical vacation time, where I am welcome to attend, but can't vote.

    As long as I just keep paying my taxes, which then go into the VT state pool and redistributed around the state to where the folks on Montpelier see fit, all is fine....
    '07--08 season: 51 Days, '08-'09 season: 55 Days, '09-'10 season: 41 Days, '10-'11 season: 49 days, '11-'12 season: 40 Days '12-'13 season: 57 days, '13-'14 season, 60 days '14-'15 season 60 days, '15-'16 season 52 days, '16-'17 season: 50 days '07-'17 seasons: 515 Days

  6. #66

    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Mad River Valley / MA
    Posts
    169
    Quote Originally Posted by drjeff View Post
    As long as I just keep paying my taxes, which then go into the VT state pool and redistributed around the state to where the folks on Montpelier see fit, all is fine....
    I don't think this is the case. These are local property taxes we are talking about and not VT State income tax. I don't think that towns fork over funds to the state. Does anybody know if that is true?

  7. #67
    Yes, they do. ACT 60 was established to even the playing field for education throughout the state. A portion of the property taxes from "gold towns" which are often ski towns is redistributed to towns that have less revenue.

    In regards to second home owners having a voice in where their tax money goes, is there a state in the country that offers that to second home owners? I mean doesn't that really boil down to 1 person, 1 vote? What if you owned two properties in the same town? Should you have double the influence?

    Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app

  8. #68
    Quote Originally Posted by deadheadskier View Post
    Yes, they do. ACT 60 was established to even the playing field for education throughout the state. A portion of the property taxes from "gold towns" which are often ski towns is redistributed to towns that have less revenue.

    In regards to second home owners having a voice in where their tax money goes, is there a state in the country that offers that to second home owners? I mean doesn't that really boil down to 1 person, 1 vote? What if you owned two properties in the same town? Should you have double the influence?

    Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app
    It's a good philosophical question. On the surface, if you own property somewhere, you should have a say in how things are run in the town.

    The closest I've gotten is a friend who also happens to be on selectman.

    It's a delicate walk. No matter what, you'll always be an outsider. You don't want to be that loudmouthed you know what flatlander who's always making demands.

  9. #69

    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Mad River Valley / MA
    Posts
    169
    Quote Originally Posted by deadheadskier View Post
    Yes, they do. ACT 60 was established to even the playing field for education throughout the state. A portion of the property taxes from "gold towns" which are often ski towns is redistributed to towns that have less revenue.

    In regards to second home owners having a voice in where their tax money goes, is there a state in the country that offers that to second home owners? I mean doesn't that really boil down to 1 person, 1 vote? What if you owned two properties in the same town? Should you have double the influence?

    Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app
    Yes you are right. I guess I am just bitching that I have to pay. I guess we all do. I just wish that VT would get more creative and less socialist. If any state should adopt the legalization of Weed and have dispensaries it should be VT. It would help them greatly.

  10. #70
    Quote Originally Posted by deadheadskier View Post
    In regards to second home owners having a voice in where their tax money goes, is there a state in the country that offers that to second home owners? I mean doesn't that really boil down to 1 person, 1 vote? What if you owned two properties in the same town? Should you have double the influence?

    Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app
    You could always register to vote in the town where your second home is and vote absentee. I register to vote in Binghamton where I go to college but still don't have that on my drivers license.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 1:50 AM.