• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

SKI Magazine 2016-17 Eastern Resort Rankings

cdskier

I'm glad to see Killington move up. I think it clearly shows how the work of Mike Salomano is making a difference at a customer level. They've stopped shrinking and they have reclaimed their reputation for the early/late season product. And while they haven't really started to grow again, they've stopped the bleeding and they are doing a lot of catch-up deferred maintenance on their infrastructure.

I do think that if Sugarbush and Killington were both the same distance from the major population centers, that Sugarbush would beat Killington - hands down; but if you moved Snowshoe to New England, it wouldn't come close to this list. But then again, if grandma had wheels, she'd be a wagon.

I was happy to see Sugarbush move back into the top 10 where I think they rightly belong. I'm not necessarily entirely sure that Sugarbush would beat K hands down even if they were the same distance. It all depends on the criteria being considered. This is where it would be interesting to see how they compare in the various individual rankings (terrain, snow, etc). I would rank Sugarbush ahead of K in terms of terrain and snow, but K would probably have higher marks for apres and nightlife (even though I personally prefer the MRV type of vibe over the K access road scene).

benski

Relax it's no biggie. One of the old Snowshed doubles.

Last year when i went to Killington the first thing one of the people knottiest was that the old snowshed doubles stupid. I get that they could be useful as a backup or on really crowded day but 2 doubles and a express quad seems a bit much.

steamboat1

Last year when i went to Killington the first thing one of the people knottiest was that the old snowshed doubles stupid. I get that they could be useful as a backup or on really crowded day but 2 doubles and a express quad seems a bit much.
They use at least one of them quite often when they have icing issues & can't get the quad going. One or both of Snowdon's fixed grip lifts are often the first lifts open on those mornings too when they can't run the detachables because of icing. Same thing with the Bear & Middle Brook fixed grip quads. For some reason K has icing issues pretty frequently. Having the North Ridge & Canyon fixed grips also come in handy to get people up the mountain.

Last edited:

benski

They use at least one of them quite often when they have icing issues & can't get the quad going. One or both of Snowdon's fixed grip lifts are often the first lifts open on those mornings too when they can't run the detachables because of icing. Same thing with the Bear & Middle Brook fixed grip quads. For some reason K has icing issues pretty frequently. Having the North Ridge & Canyon fixed grips also come in handy to get people up the mountain.

Do you really need to get the mountain open quickly when there is icing. It seems 95% of the time icing on lifts means icy trails.

BenedictGomez

I was simply implying that you, nor anyone else, is the authority on what what makes the best ski town.

Ummm..... okay?

I was happy to see Sugarbush move back into the top 10 where I think they rightly belong.

Agreed. I'm not a huge Sugarbush bull, but I think it's a difficult case to make to not have Sugarbush somewhere in the latter part of the top-10.

Jully

I haven't found that to be true. Besides grooming usually will take care of it.

Indeed. Usually days starting out with icing can turn into the best days. Uncrowded groomers in the morning because of the ice / lift issues and then it all softens around 11am but people still don't come out!

machski

Relax it's no biggie. One of the old Snowshed doubles.

Hmm, funny to hear you say it is no biggie. Granted, it really is no biggie but any loss of a redundant, little used lift at K stirs up the K-Zone crowd soething fierce. Look at it this way, that is now 2 less lifts they have to worry about and spend $$ on to keep them certified, $$ that can be spent on the other highly utilized lifts or socked away to some day provide newer uogrades. I realize the SRT was a nice option on busy days to move from Bear back to Skye/K, but it didn't serve any great terrain that was worthy of lapping.

machski

List seems reasonable to me. I am interested in next year's list to see how bad SR gets hit without Spruce chair for the season. Though for those of us who don't mind a short bootpack up, having a lightly to little used trailset still with snowmaking could actually boost their ranking :)

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
... I realize the SRT was a nice option on busy days to move from Bear back to Skye/K, but it didn't serve any great terrain that was worthy of lapping.
Besides not being crowded, I found the SRT (South Ridge Triple) to have some very nice lappable terrain including some very lovely bump runs and a few glades that were were pleasant (and not "killer"). It's presence also made it much easier to go from the Sky Peak side to Snowden.

machski

Besides not being crowded, I found the SRT (South Ridge Triple) to have some very nice lappable terrain including some very lovely bump runs and a few glades that were were pleasant (and not "killer"). It's presence also made it much easier to go from the Sky Peak side to Snowden.

Nope, some fun to be on the lower third but far too short to be entertaining for two runs tops. Had SRT just run to the midstation, that would have made for a nice little lapping lift. The whole thing on the flat upper? Not so much. Given the reality of limited $$ for everything at resorts, K did the smart thing in my opinion.

And just so I don't seem overly biased, SR has lost lifts permanently too. The fall line double is gone for good out of South Ridge and it has burnt the resort on occasion when Chondi and South Ridge Express have both gone down with no other lift option out.

steamboat1

Nope, some fun to be on the lower third but far too short to be entertaining for two runs tops. Had SRT just run to the midstation, that would have made for a nice little lapping lift. The whole thing on the flat upper? Not so much. Given the reality of limited $$ for everything at resorts, K did the smart thing in my opinion.
I think you forgot about Jug which starts near the top of the old lift. The other trails which start lower are also definitely worth lapping. The SRT made getting from Bear back to K-1 so much easier because you could traverse over from the top. Now the only way to get to K-1 is to let them rip from the base of Superstar across the front of the base lodge which creates a dangerous situation being there's two way traffic. Only other option is to ski lower Ovation which is often closed or very icy. Even if they put in a new South Ridge lift I probably wouldn't see the benefit though because the old lift ran mostly on weekends only & I'm a weekday skier.

Smellytele

And just so I don't seem overly biased, SR has lost lifts permanently too. The fall line double is gone for good out of South Ridge and it has burnt the resort on occasion when Chondi and South Ridge Express have both gone down with no other lift option out.

There has never been a reason until maybe now (or late Season in the past) to go to South Ridge at SR.

KustyTheKlown

and whiteface has such unique terrain. that massive vertical drop, the slides when they are able to open them, that view from the peak. my only issue with whiteface is a lack of good tree skiing. the one off the Wilmington trail is deceiving. it's long but the fall line is a short hit to the creek bed and then you're basically gliding out at very low angle

Tin

and whiteface has such unique terrain. that massive vertical drop, the slides when they are able to open them, that view from the peak. my only issue with whiteface is a lack of good tree skiing. the one off the Wilmington trail is deceiving. it's long but the fall line is a short hit to the creek bed and then you're basically gliding out at very low angle

Any idea about what you can get off lifts like the Summit Quad or the Little Whiteface Double? The map is deceiving but if the gondi gives you 2400', each one should put each one around 1600-1800'. That is really impressive for essential "pod" skiing. They need a better map imo.

BenedictGomez

Any idea about what you can get off lifts like the Summit Quad or the Little Whiteface Double? The map is deceiving but if the gondi gives you 2400', each one should put each one around 1600-1800'. That is really impressive for essential "pod" skiing. They need a better map imo.

When you ski Whiteface from the summit, by the time you get to the bottom, you know it's the highest lift served elevation in the east. It's a really long run.

Keep in mind, this picture is Litte White Face (i.e. not the summit, which is significantly higher)
Ski-Map-Sign-at-Whiteface.jpg

And yes, you're right, their trailmap stinks.

Whiteface has been on my list now for years and still haven't done it. Hopefully this year w a combo of Gore to make a northern NY trip.

Question: I've heard the runout from the middle of WF down to the base is pretty boring. How much vertical is just getting back to the base lift(s)?

BenedictGomez

Whiteface has been on my list now for years and still haven't done it. Hopefully this year w a combo of Gore to make a northern NY trip.

Question: I've heard the runout from the middle of WF down to the base is pretty boring. How much vertical is just getting back to the base lift(s)?

Saying "the middle" is harsh, but the bottom is in fact pretty boring, that's true.

You will not be disappointed in a Gore/Whiteface trip. Leave early, ski Gore, then stay a few nights in Lake Placid. Only advice I'd give, is to make it a flexible weekend trip planned "the week of", rather than a trip planned well in advance. You really want to hit Whiteface with good conditions, and you really dont want to hit Whiteface with poor conditions. And IMO, Gore has some of the best tree skiing in the entire east, and what's even better about it, is that very few people know that Gore has some of the best tree skiing in the entire east.

Thanks for the intel BG. That's what I've heard and another reason why I need to get there this year.

Have skied most areas in NE, but for some reason, WF and Gore have never worked out. Didn't mean to go negative on the runout, but I've skied areas where the runouts are way to long for my liking, (Sundance anyone), so always heard WF is great but vert is a bit overstated due to the "road" down to the base.

Hopefully this year!!