Whiteface Mountain Question - Page 2

AlpineZone

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Make sure to check Canadian holidays, I was there once on a weekday and it was mobbed. On the gondola I commented on how crowded it was, someone said didn't you know it's insert obscure Canadian holiday here? Why no, I didn't. If I were going to Jay I'd have checked, but it didn't occur to me Whiteface is close enough to the border to draw Canadian crowds, it is.

If it's a clear day when you go, don't freak out at the view from the parking lot. It looks like the friggin Matterhorn, but it isn't too bad. The steeps are very long. When I return to Greek after skiing there the whole hill feels like a bunny slope, enjoy!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using AlpineZone mobile app

Leave no turn unstoned!

I think Ontario is off the week of St Pat's and they definitely go to Whiteface...I have gone several times in March and never been disappointed..Lake Placid is worth the trip..just the drive in from the northway is pretty impressive..the steeps are intimidating and long..great long cruisers that never seem too crowded..big step up from the poconos but well worth it..enjoy (in March)

Go in March.

Ontario Public Holidays 2018:
    Date Week Day Holiday
    January – 01 Monday New Year’s Day
    February – 19 Monday Family Day
    March – 30 Friday Good Friday
    May – 21 Monday Victoria Day
    July – 02 Monday Canada Day (Observed)
    September – 03 Monday Labor Day
    October – 8 Monday Thanksgiving Day
    December – 25 Tuesday Christmas
    December – 26 Wednesday Boxing Day

Oh sweet Jesus, if you value your relationship go in March.
    Did i mention March?

It's the Canadian Larva break weeks that you have to worry about, not Canadian holidays.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

Snow pack - Early March = 100%, New Years = 25-35%
    Crowds - Early March = Average, New Years = Don't get me started.....
    Daylight - Early March = 5:30 PM sunset, New Years = 4:20 PM
    Cost - Early March = Average pricing, New Years = Holiday pricing
    Temps - Early March = Usually quite comfortable, New Years = Cold, cold, cold

Almost every trip I've planned out west ( I know you're talking NE, but same applies) has been late Feb/Early March for most of the same reasons listed above.

Whenever you decide though, have fun!!

I was speaking to a client on the phone yesterday who mentioned she was going up to Smuggler's Notch (from Pennsylvania) for a vacation in early December.

Audible cringe reaction on my part.
    2017/2018: Baby Julia born 12/3/2017!
    [Killington: 12/15] [Mount Snow: 11/27]

2016/2017: * = powder day
    [Berkshire East: 1/16, 2/10] [Bolton Valley: 1/1, 2/5*, 2/19] [Burke: 12/17*, 1/28*] [Heavenly: 3/5*, 3/11] [Jay Peak: 1/29*, 4/9] [Jiminy Peak: 11/26] [Killington: 12/4, 12/10, 4/8*, 4/15] [Kirkwood: 3/8] [Mad River Glen: 2/25] [Magic: 2/13*] [Mt Rose: 3/7*] [Mount Snow: 4/3] [Northstar: 4/10] [Okemo: 11/23] [Pico: 1/7*, 2/18, 3/19] [Smuggler’s Notch: 1/22] [Stratton: 2/4] [Stowe: 1/21] [Sugarbush: 1/2] [Telluride: 3/27, 3/28*] [Whiteface: 2/12]

Quote Originally Posted by bdfreetuna View Post
    I was speaking to a client on the phone yesterday who mentioned she was going up to Smuggler's Notch (from Pennsylvania) for a vacation in early December.

Audible cringe reaction on my part.
    Yeah that's a tough time, barring something really unusual weather wise. I love Smuggs, hit it a couple of times per year, but it's always when the majority of the mountain and glades are open. Early season means very limited terrain and scratch conditions, but perhaps she'll get lucky.

Madonna is still one of the top 5 mountains and lifts in the east!

Quote Originally Posted by sugarbushskier View Post
    Yeah that's a tough time, barring something really unusual weather wise. I love Smuggs, hit it a couple of times per year, but it's always when the majority of the mountain and glades are open. Early season means very limited terrain and scratch conditions, but perhaps she'll get lucky.

Madonna is still one of the top 5 mountains and lifts in the east!
    hmmm, interesting.

in no particular order:
    - single chair MRG
    - tram Jay
    - red Magic
    - madonna Smuggs
    - forerunner Stowe

leaves a lot on the table tho. honorable mentions include:
    - castlerock Sugarbush
    - k1 Killington
    - tram Cannon
    - summit Whiteface
    - timberline Sugarloaf
    ~the stars turn, and a time presents itself~

Quote Originally Posted by KustyTheKlown View Post
    hmmm, interesting.

in no particular order:
    - single chair MRG
    - tram Jay
    - red Magic
    - madonna Smuggs
    - forerunner Stowe

leaves a lot on the table tho. honorable mentions include:
    - castlerock Sugarbush
    - k1 Killington
    - tram Cannon
    - summit Whiteface
    - timberline Sugarloaf
    Never skied Wildcat I take it?

2100 vert in 7 minutes, no terrain runnout and you can lap every inch of the mountain off of it.

Definitely one of the five best lifts in New England IMO. Maybe the best when you factor in average lift lines of about five minutes on mid winter Saturdays

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app

Thread Information