• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Pico, what a nice mountain

uphillklimber

Resort or Ski Area
Attitash
Date
May 26, 2021
Snow Conditions
  1. Powder
x

Last edited:

Skier75

What a great day of skiing! Couldn't have asked for a better day! Dressed a little cooler than usual, which on the first few runs of the day my legs were a bit chilly, but not too bad. As UK said we headed right over to forty-niner before so we could ski some nice corduroy before it got skied off. I really enjoy the conduroy, that's where I do my best.

As usual I let UK lead the way, as I know he'd be flying by me, no big deal. I felt pretty good with my form, even though the picture may say otherwise. For some reason I almost always have my legs a little further apart than they should, but I feel comfortable this way. I found playing on the Birch Glades a bit challenging, but I like to practice trying to do moguls, but not for long as my knee doesn't like it too much.

We skied all over the mountain until about 10:00 when I was getting a little hungry, so we headed back to the lodge for a quick break. It still amazes me that this mountain is not as crowded as some others that I've been to. I really like it a lot! After break we went over to the Outpost Double chair as we didn't check that out last time we were there. I was tempted to do Sidewinder, but again didn't want to cut the day too short, knowing that my knee would give out on me, so we just did some easier trails like That-A-Way and Stampede, and back down the Expressway area.

Just before noon we could feel the snow softening up more which for me was kinda nice, but when it starts to get mushy, that puts a strain on me. I have to say though we pushed pretty hard most of the morning not wanting to give in. We just had to go back up to Upper KA to do that area again. It had varying conditions after lunch, from some scrape to the soft mush, so we did that one more time and just one more mogul area, I think it was the Sunset Schuss, which really did me in then. So we just ended the day on Fools Gold and Lower Pike. What a day! I love Pico and would take it any day over Killington.

thetrailboss

Staff member
:eek: Wow. Terry, his family, me, Loafer89, and Uphillklimber and his wife! AZ day at Pico! Was there anyone from AZ who was NOT at Pico yesterday? :lol:

Yep, KA is a great trail....a real classic. So glad they blew snow on it and got it open this year!

629d1173573156-pico-what-nice-mountain-dcp_6852-small-.jpg

BeanoNYC

Did they reset the computer's odometer when you got your last oil change? They always forget to do that on my corolla so I just do it myself when I'm at the garage.

BeanoNYC

Turns out, upon review of the owner's manual that there is an exhaust... emissions control issue. No problem driving it. I checked the oil, that's fine, anti freeze is low, gotta go get some......

Trip to garage to find out what is wrong and get it repaired......
\\

What kind of car is it?

Skier75

It's the car I drive, mostly. It's a 2000 Chev Malibu. Darn thing has been giving me troubles from day one with the stupid idoit lights. If it's not one thing its another. To top it off, I've had to have the passlock sensor changed three times since I've owned it. Seems to have a flaw in it.....last time, Chev claims to have it fixed now. Now this....I'm about ready to trade it.

BeanoNYC

It's the car I drive, mostly. It's a 2000 Chev Malibu. Darn thing has been giving me troubles from day one with the stupid idoit lights. If it's not one thing its another. To top it off, I've had to have the passlock sensor changed three times since I've owned it. Seems to have a flaw in it.....last time, Chev claims to have it fixed now. Now this....I'm about ready to trade it.

I had a Jetta that had constant electrical problems. When it hit 49K and the warranty was about to expired they fixed it for me one last time. The service advisor (with whom I became quite friendly with) pulled me aside and said, "Listen to me! This problem is not going to go away and your warranty is up. I'd hate to loose you as a customer, but trade this car in within the next two weeks and buy a toyota!"

That's exactly what I did. The only time the corolla goes to the shop is for an oil change. (Knock on wood :smash: )

...I'll never know for sure, but It's probably one of the best pieces of advice I ever got regarding cars.

It was a VW/Audi dealer and I'll forever miss those A4's he use to hook me up with as a loner!

Skier75

Thanks Warp Daddy.

Hey, Beano, so your saying a Corolla is the way to go, eh? The only thing is believe it or not, I used to swear by a GM product, maybe I just got lucky this time....or not! No seriously, not sure what I'm gonna go with next. I really need a good car that has great traction though, because of the road we live on. Not only that, I'd like something maybe with either all wheel drive, 4WD, or at least front wheel. Not real interested in a 4cyl car, they just don't seem to have the get up and go that I like, maybe I'm wrong but some of the cars I've owned in the past after a while they seem to lose the pick up I like. Okay, enough of the car talk, I've really gotten off the real subject....skiing. Thanks for the advice though.

pedxing

Nice Report and great pic of the trail and view downward.

I hiked Pico as a side trip when I did the Long Trail in '05. It's nice to see a winter view. Interesting to see three good reports on Pico bunched together atop the thread.

BeanoNYC

Thanks Warp Daddy.

Hey, Beano, so your saying a Corolla is the way to go, eh? The only thing is believe it or not, I used to swear by a GM product, maybe I just got lucky this time....or not! No seriously, not sure what I'm gonna go with next. I really need a good car that has great traction though, because of the road we live on. Not only that, I'd like something maybe with either all wheel drive, 4WD, or at least front wheel. Not real interested in a 4cyl car, they just don't seem to have the get up and go that I like, maybe I'm wrong but some of the cars I've owned in the past after a while they seem to lose the pick up I like. Okay, enough of the car talk, I've really gotten off the real subject....skiing. Thanks for the advice though.

I like the corolla for my needs here, I was just relaying a story about my Jetta which was a bit of a lemon. I've heard good things about the Outbacks and Foresters as far for AWD.