• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mt. Sunapee - Newbury Trail 7/14/2007

Jonni

Date Hiked: 7/14/2007

Trail(s) Hiked: Newbury Trail, Lake Solitude Trail

Total Distance Hiked: 7.2 Miles (8 miles including all side detours)

Special Equipment Required: None

Report: Finally having a free Saturday to myself I decided that I needed to get something in that was relatively close, but offered some distance in order to get me good and tired that day. I decided that even though I had hiked Sunapee many times (as well as working there, I see it everyday), it would be a local opportunity to head out into the woods. Choosing a somewhat longer route up to the summit to offer a bit more challenge I decided on the Newbury Trail. Since there isn't much information out there (that I could find after a few basic searches) I will give a description of the trail here up to Lake Solitude.

Getting There: The Newbury Trail trailhead is located on Lake view rd in Newbury, NH. Coming from the Mt. Sunapee traffic circle turn right onto Newbury Hghts Rd (just after Bobs Beacon Marina) and Lakeview rd will be the second turn on the right. The trailhead is about 100 ft up the road on the right. Parking is VERY limited, so you may have to park at the information booth across route 103 (adding maybe 0.15 miles to the hike) if the two parking spots at the trailhead are full. The trail is blazed with Orange blazes.

The Hike: The Newbury Trail starts off into the woods almost immediately crossing a small stream and the beginning its ascent up the side of the mountain. For the first 0.1 mile or so it's a little difficult to follow as there are spots where people have made their own trail to bypass steeper sections, but it quickly reformulates itself after a short distance. Climbing moderately for the first 0.9 miles or so up what appears to be an old logging road. If you would like to get to a quick view, turn right at a small cairn about 0.5 miles from the trailhead and follow a side path 0.2 miles to Eagles Nest, an exposed ledge that looks down on Newbury Harbor.

As the trail continues up moderately it will turn sharply right onto a newly rerouted section of trail completed in 2003 that avoids the former steepest section of the trail. The trail begins to level up and descend slightly. At 1.1 miles you will reach the Rim Trail Junction. The Rim trail goes on to small peak on the side of the mountain and then descends moderately down to the base of the Sun Bowl chairlift. Turn left at this junction and follow the trail very steeply up a set of stone steps gaining elevation quickly over the next 0.2 miles or so. At 1.3 miles from the trailhead the trail breaks out at the South Peak Ledges overlooking Lake Sunapee and points north and east. The trail then continues on at an easy to moderate pace meandering through the woods on a narrow well beaten path following an approximate ridge heading toward Lake Solitude. On this part of the trail you will pass the unmarked summit of the South Peak. I was not able to actually find the summit so I'm not 100% sure what side of the trail it is on, but the elevation is about 2600'. After walking for another 1.2 miles through the woods, you will reach Jack and June Junction at 2.5 miles from the trailhead. Going right at this point will take you up to the White Ledges overlook of Lake Solitude (about 0.25 miles), whereas going left will take you down to the junction of the Andrew Brook trail and the Monadnock Sunapee Greenway trail as well as to Lake Solitude's waters edge (about 0.15 to 0.2 miles). There is a charcoal grill setup next to the lake to allow cooking for campers (although I'm unsure of the camping regulations on Mt. Sunapee, please check first).

The Remaining Portions of my Hike: I was able to complete the Newbury Trail section of my hike in about 1hr 25 mins or so. I took a detour at Jack and June Junction down to the lake to take a short break, and then I went up to the White Ledges to take in the view for another few minutes before continuing up the Lake Solitude trail to the summit. It was very clear and every view to be had was excellent. I did the 1 mile of Lake Solitude trail in maybe 20 to 30 minutes or so. Lunch at the top and then returning the way I came I arrived back at my car for a 4 hour round trip total. Great hike, although make sure you don't step on the striped roots that move. That scares the be-jesus out of ya.

threecy

Website
www.franklinsites.com
Thanks for the trip report...next time I do Sunapee, I think I'm gonna give that one a go...Andrew Brook Trail should be called the Andrew Trail Brook in my opinion.