• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Your tuning workshop.

Grassi21

Grass

You're only looking at 99 bucks for the world cup vice (same vice, different color) .... bout the same if you bought two stanleys and a center vice. Not to mention the tax avoidance by mail ordering.

My vice was only $65 from Artech. It's a toko. It looks just like the one Beano has so maybe the price has gone down. They also have a 10% off deal for all purchases in September. I just paid for normal shipping and I got it the next day too!

Good stuff guys. That'll work. I think you just stepped up my urgency to buy.

BeanoNYC

http://www.steelfiles.com/rasp1.html

I just use one of these to sharpen both plastic and thin metal scrapers. Dont know exactly what the teeth look like though.

Yeah...I use that and drywall mud sandpaper now, but I don't get the "brand new" result I'm looking for. Maybe I'm doing it wrong. Anyhoo this is what I was referring to. I'm wondering if it does better.

Hawkshot99

Yeah...I use that and drywall mud sandpaper now, but I don't get the "brand new" result I'm looking for. Maybe I'm doing it wrong. Anyhoo this is what I was referring to. I'm wondering if it does better.

Loks pretty cool. Hope it works good for you.

On you not doing it right, I run it a time or two before I start working every time, to keep it haveing a good edge. This way I never get behind.

BeanoNYC

BTW which one of the ones in your link are you looking at?

The Toko...but I may go get a panzer file. Was thinking about using it to reduce the sidewall. Then again, I don't need to cut the sidewall yet...still plenty of blade left. Not sure how to use it for that either. When and how do you cut the sidewall, Hawk?

wa-loaf

When and how do you cut the sidewall?

You only need to do it when it starts to get in the way of beveling your edges. You'll know cause you'll have a bunch of sidewall material in your file.

wa-loaf

OK...that makes sense. Any tips on how? Or, at least, how not to.

A sidewall planer is probably the easiest and most precise way. But a panzar file works well too, I don't think there's a science to it. You can do it by hand or put it in a side edge beveler and just make sure you aren't screwing with your edge. I haven't done it much, so maybe someone else can chime in with a better tip?

Glenn

I built this bench over a month ago...but finally got around to the pics.

Bench cost was about $25 total. A few 8' 2x4's an a sheet of 3/4" OSB (4x8). The shelf under the bench top had to be built up high due to the pipe we have coming in from the well. But there's enough space to stash stuff. I had to make a but of and overhang for the top in order to get the vises to fit. I have boxes and boxes of screws, so there wasn't a need to get those. I panted the top of the bench and the shelf with porch floor paint. I had that left over from painting the deck and wood side stakes on my trailer. I haul the ATV on the trailer and brush...and all sorts of crap (not all at the same time) and that paint has held up just great for the past three years.

The light fixture was almost the cost of the bench. I use the same lights in my garage, so I had a few T-8 bulbs left as spares.

DSC03985Medium.jpg

DSC03986Medium.jpg

Glenn

LMAO! That's the sign I stick on the door to the garage so I remember to unplug them before leaving for work on Monday after skiing Sunday.

I wish I had room for a fridge! That's the boiler room and it's small already...but I'm sharing the space with the boiler, and indirect fired hot water tank and the well tank...oh, and all the piping.

Here are the plans I kinda went off of: http://www.hammerzone.com/archives/workshop/bench/below20.html

This guy built a really nice lower shelf. I just ran two leftover 2x4's; one front, one back an screwed them to the legs.

rueler

The Toko...but I may go get a panzer file. Was thinking about using it to reduce the sidewall. Then again, I don't need to cut the sidewall yet...still plenty of blade left. Not sure how to use it for that either. When and how do you cut the sidewall, Hawk?

I've only used a panzer file (as wa-loaf also suggested) for removing excess sidewall. I use it with a file guide and tilt it towards me a bit (away from the edge) and make a pass or two to get the sidewall material out of the way. It's really not that difficult. After you do it a couple of times, you get the hang of it.

Sky

No pics...but I went nuts last season...got a bunch of stuff from Artech (sp?) and really got into it.

I went Swix....nice vice set, and iron.

My brother in law gave me a list...I followed it pretty much...diamond stones, and guides etc.

Still working on a wax I like.

Wa-Loaf gave me a recommendation...B in Law another...and a third (I have not tried this yet) from a vendor associate I work wih.

I watch the swix-school vid every once in a while to be sure I'm following the code. :>

deadheadskier

Staff member
I like to keep it simple

ski.jpg

though truth be told, I don't even know how to use it. Bought it in the spring and threw away the package. :oops:

I used to be way into tuning back in High School, but no longer have all my old vices, files and such. I live in a very small condo with no room for tuning; well at least that my wife would approve of :lol: