• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Wapack Trail: NH Rt. 124 South to Stony Top

thetrailboss

Staff member
Date(s) Hiked: October 3, 2004

Trails(s) Hiked: Wapack Trail South.

Total Distance: 8.0 miles rt.

Difficulty: Long, but only a couple of short steep sections.

Conditions: Very good, well marked.

Special Required Equipment: Trekking Poles and a good Topo Map

Trip Report: WHEN I FIRST LOOKED at this hike, I was not very impressed. The Trail book made little mention of any views or anything substantial. After leaving, I think that the guide must be wrong. :wink:

We arrived a bit late for a hike--11am and parked at the Kidder Mountain parking lot (see my previous report). The Wapack heads south across Routes 123/124 and past the old Wapack Lodge site; the only thing left behind is the old stone foundation obscured by weeds and small trees 9a truly sad sight). The trail rumbles up a hill and comes to the map and a warning sign before entering the Windblown Cross Country Ski Area's Trail Network (which is closed to hiking during the winter).

The first lookout was a small ledge on the crest of a hill in the Ski Area. This was the only view to the south and east for the hike, so we stopped to enjoy them. One can see Boston, Watatic, the rolling fields of Ipswich, as well as the ridge that the trail ascends. From here, the trail descends a steep embankment to some more cross country ski trails before descending again to another trail and a small stream. The trail climbs beside the same stream for about .25 miles before taking a steeper pitch to the shoulder of Barrett Mountain. At the top, we wandered north on a ski trail to the Mountain Top Shelter, which is owned by the ski area and has an IMPRESSIVE view to the north and west. The lean-too was nice and the GF liked the sight of a latrine. I would suggest spending a night here sometime (though reservations with Windblown are required).

From here, the trail takes a flat, rolling route to the summit of neighboring New Ipswich Mountain offering some more nice views on different ledges. For the most part, the climbing is over. Just before the summit of New Ipswich the views open up thanks to the ledges in the area and one can see Monadnock. THIS IS NOT STONY TOP. Continue past this area to the signed summit of the mountain.

From here it was only 20 minutes to Stony Top. The trail comes to some more ledges and views towards Stony Top. Descending into the col, one passes the Pratt Pond Trail before the last climb to the ledges of Stony Top. From here, the 180 degree views from the south to west to north are impressive with local lakes, farms, houses, and Grand Monadnock in the background. We had lunch here and enjoyed the foliage before returning to our car. With several stops and a nice long lunch, we arrived back 6 hours after we started.

In all, a true surprise that was long but not by any means difficult. There were a few locals on the trail, but, by and large, another hidden gem on the Wapack Trail. :D