• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Sundown - 1/14/2008 (night)

Greg

Staff member
Date(s) Skied: Monday, 1/14/2008 , 6:30 pm - 10:10 pm

Resort or Ski Area: Ski Sundown, New Hartford, Connecticut

Conditions: Bumps. Nice snow. Calm, temps near freezing.

Trip Report: The mountain picked up around 7" today which settled to around 3-4" by the time I got there. Jumped right into Nor'easter and was pleasantly surprised by some silky smooth bumps. Great surface on the bumps and no more uglies to be found in the troughs.

After two or three runs on Nor'easter, it was roped to groom that side of the mountain. On the next lift ride, the rope was dropped on a freshly groomed Canyon Run. I jumped on it first and took big sweeping side-to-side turns eating up the entire run. Lots of fun. Took a run down Gunny waiting for access to Nor'easter to reopen. Gunny was recently groomed and very nice.

As I waited for the rope to drop on Upper Nor'easter, jonnypoach arrived. We took a few runs and eventually bumped into severine as we loaded. We all skied together the rest of the night. Sev took CR while jonny and I hit the bumps. Sev did a great job keeping up. We had to do the singles line express a few times after lift two closed.

Ex bumps are played out. Still some turns in there and more entertaining than a groomed Ex, but pretty beat. Troughs were icy in there too. The backsides of the NE bumps showed some signs of ice appearing again by the end of the night. Back to our icy CT bumps already!

Sev split around 9:45 and jonny and I skied till close. Nice night on the bumps. The mountain is back in prime shape.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
You're fast! :D

Thanks for letting me tag-along tonight! The snow was fantastic on Canyon Run and I had fun watching you guys hit the bumps. I'm glad I didn't give up after the less than stellar warm-up on Sunnyside. :D

Greg

Staff member
Wow Greg. I didn't know you carved? :lol:

Not sure what I was doing could be defined as "carving", but yes, I will cruise the groomers....but only if I have to! ;)

Grassi21

Wow Greg. I didn't know you carved? :lol:

Glad you guys hooked up and had a good time. Wish I could have made it...

Me either! :-?

Not sure what I was doing could be defined as "carving", but yes, I will cruise the groomers....but only if I have to! ;)

I was with him once and he said he did it. He was skiing behind me so I can't confirm if it was a carve or his usual hug the tree line and crank out tons of turns. Not that there is anything wrong with that... ;-)