• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Crotched Saturday Night 2/9

Angus

When/Where: Saturday, 2/09/08, Crotched Night Skiing, 5 – 9PM

Conditions: 4-6” new over hardpack. Snowed all night.

Took my daughter night skiing for the first time. The crowds were relatively sparse when we arrived at 4:45; and when we left at 9:15, it looked like the snow was going to keep the crowds away from midnight madness. Skied the entire mountain including my daughter’s first time down Pluto’s Plunge. I skied UFO, a new trail this season, for the first time as well. Occasionally found some of the icy hardpack under the fresh snow; but in general, it was skiing on light powder. My 6 year-old daughter wanted to spend the majority of her evening in the terrain park skiing up and over the jumps – a real hoot to watch! Discovered that her hands were getting cold because she was wearing a thin glove under her mittens which was making her hands sweat and then as the sweat cooled get cold. Took the thin glove off and hola no more cold hands! She also announced she like night skiing better than day skiing!

A fun evening and it was great to ski in falling snow, a rarity for me. Maybe the last time to Crotched for the season, I used the last of my $$ on last season’s snow card & expect we’ll transition to bigger mountains for the rest of the season. BTW: kudos to the staff, I lost my snow card but still had the card #, they didn’t blink in finding the remaining balance, applying to last night's purchase, etc.

The mountain has a deep base of snow. I noticed that they have moved a lot of their mobile fan guns off the mountain. May be done for the season.

ckofer

Website
www.skicheapordie.com
I showed up at 9 for the Midnight Madness and stayed till about 1 pm. Outstanding conditions-you could find untracked stuff with a little effort-well worth the drive on poorly plowed back roads. As a bonus the band that I thought I had missed by not going Friday night was playing in the lodge (Hot Day At The Zoo)

Here's some pics from my camera phone (click to enlarge)

Last edited:

Angus

we were sipping hot chocolate when they started - Grateful Dead cover band? - They opened with Cumberland Blues I think

ckofer

Website
www.skicheapordie.com
we were sipping hot chocolate when they started - Grateful Dead cover band? - They opened with Cumberland Blues I think

Not quite a GD cover band. They have bar-scene interpretation of bluegrass and old-time music. The video above is from a wedding that I attended last summer-fun band. If you play it all the way through, you should be able to see some related vids as well.