• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Does anyone know anything about ski bindings?

S

Snow Man

I am looking to buy some Line Darkside skis with Salomon S810 Ti bindings.

However these bindings only go up to 1ft ski boot length and my ski boots are about 13 +1/2 inches. How difficult is it to get the bindings changed?

One of my mates told me to get them remounted, does this mean re drilling the ski?

The guy that is selling them told me that re drilling would make the ski too weak, but he did say I could fit Line Reactor 12 bindings to them but they were rubbish. Is any of that true?

Thanks for your help

B

beswift

Redrilling

If the skiis haven't been redrilled before, you should be able to redrill them without a problem. However, I would go to a shop and check on the specifics of the ski. You should also make sure this binding is strong enough for you.

Talisman

You may also be able to use a lifter plate to mount the new bindings and reuse the existing mounting holes in the ski. The rule of thumb above about redrilling skis once is valid, but I try to avoid extra holes because these are more stress concentrations (all though this part of the ski doesn't flex much) and another way for moisture to get into the ski and delaminate it.

B

beswift

Redrilling.

Actually, you should use plastic plugs to fill all holes. If done correctly there's no trouble with contamination. Integrated boot-binding systems put a little more flex into the tortion box of downhill skiis, but it really seems to me alright to redrill a ski twice. However, I wouldn't do it more than once and have never redrilled my own skiis as I have never had a reason. Again, a wood core with a strong tortion box will suffer the least amount from redrilling.

You can drill a ski up to three times.....The new holes have to be at least one hole with apart... and the line binders are and will work just fine, they are NOT crap!
A good ski buddy of mine has them mounted on his dark sides and has had no prob with them......ps. tommy is no sklacker.
Also a lifter is a great idea .

cyrk007

make sure when you tell the shop that you want them centered :) .. bindings on twin tips are designed to be in the center