• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mounting Marker bindings?

joediddley

Hi, I didn't see an equipment forum except for Buy/Sell, so I'm posting my question here. I bought new Volkl Racetiger Jr GS skis and they come with Marker Junior Race Plate pre-mounted on them. I also bought the Marker Race 10 TCX bindings to mount on the plate.

The plates already have screw holes for various size boots. It used to be you had to have a "certified technician" mount your bindings but in this case I don't see how much more trivial it could be. Can I just use a screwdriver and screw these bindings onto the plate into the right holes for the length of boot? One other nagging question I have is whether I need any kind of compound applied to the screw threads or in the holes before mounting the bindings onto the plates?

Does anyone have familiarity with this particular set-up?

Thanks!

kbroderick

It's possible to (a) use the wrong holes; (b) cross-thread the screws; (c) find a new and inventive way to screw it up. I'm not familiar with that particular setup, but the similar setups I've used generally don't need anything on the screw threads. Usually, you only need glue on the screw threads or in the holes if you're mounting into a ski, which serves to prevent the screws from loosening and to prevent moisture from entering the ski.

The trickier part is that the holes are for a range of bootsole lengths, and the forward pressure and release settings will then need to be adjusted. Markers are notoriously touchy about forward pressure, especially on a racecourse (which is where I'd assume those will end up). Some coaches will adjust forward pressure for their athletes, but that may vary with program policy.

I'd hope you could get them mounted for less than the cost of mounting flat skis (there is a lot less to screw up since you're not actually drilling any holes), but the local shops I can think of are busy enough that I'm not sure they'd give you a break; your local shops may vary. There is an associated cost to them in both staff time and needing to document everything for indemnification purposes.

joediddley

Thank you kbroderick and ss20, for your replies. I hear you about getting a tech to do it. I live 30 miles from a tech and given the market conditions and backlogs I don't know that I can do it for $30 plus the drive & down time, but I will find out. I also have 3 pairs of skis and 3 daughters all racing, so overall I thought if a competent guy with tools like myself can get comfortable with this, it saves a significant time and money in the long run.

It was the pre-drilled race plates that got me thinking, otherwise I wouldn't entertain it. I hear you loud and clear about other considerations like forward and downward pressure, release settings. I'm going to give the tech a call.. Thanks for the info. Sounds like in a pinch I could also handle the task.

kbroderick

Paying somebody to mount your skis is like paying somebody to install your windshield wipers.

You’ll find all the necessary deets in this thread here….

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php/232898-PSA-Mount-your-own-fucking-skis
On a predrilled race plate, more like paying someone to replace headlight bulbs on a modern car where they're a PITA to reach. It's not rocket science, but it's not for everyone, either. On a flat ski, it's more involved, there's a lot of room to screw it up, and having the correct drill bits and shop supplies isn't free.

Also, to the OP: I'm sure this is called out in the TGR thread, but if you are going to touch any binding screws, get a proper pozidrive #3 screwdriver. Don't be fooled into thinking they're a #3 Phillips; they are not, and therein lies the road to stripped screw heads.