• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

My wife needs skis

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
So, now that my mythic riders are on their way.....(should be here by next weekend!) my wife needs to get some new boards. She is a very solid intermediate. (probably advanced intermediate but doesn't really like to push herself on skis). She skis blues and blacks, enjoys some steeper runs, but doesn't like bumps. She is relatively petite, 5'2" 125. She is now on a 1st generation shaped ski from 2000...an Atomic 918L in a 170. I'm thinking something in the 150 length for her...that is easy to turn. I'll probably get a few ideas and then look online for the best deal. Any suggestions?

MRGisevil

I can't tell you what the best ski for her would be, but I can tell you as a solid intermediate that my K2 True Luv's treat me extremely well. I'm taking on more advanced things this year and they've been a solid ski throughout the season, be it on groomed, ice, bumps, or pow. I'm a couple inches taller and a few pounds lighter and ski a 146, which I like very much, so I'd recommend the 146-150 range should you decide to go w/that ski. It's also around 400 bucks cheaper than the +1 version in the Luv series, which is an added bonus.

wa-loaf

I can't tell you what the best ski for her would be, but I can tell you as a solid intermediate that my K2 True Luv's treat me extremely well. I'm taking on more advanced things this year and they've been a solid ski throughout the season, be it on groomed, ice, bumps, or pow. I'm a couple inches taller and a few pounds lighter and ski a 146, which I like very much, so I'd recommend the 146-150 range should you decide to go w/that ski. It's also around 400 bucks cheaper than the +1 version in the Luv series, which is an added bonus.

What she said. Well not from personal experience, but last year I was testing new skis for the ski shop at Wachusett and all the women were raving about all of the K2 skis.

Hawkshot99

What she said. Well not from personal experience, but last year I was testing new skis for the ski shop at Wachusett and all the women were raving about all of the K2 skis.

I send out demos at Jiminey. I rarely have any women come back after skiing the K2's with anything negative to say about them. Also very popular are the Vokle's.

Out of the women's skis I have used the K2 Burning Luv is my favorite.

MRGisevil

I send out demos at Jiminey. I rarely have any women come back after skiing the K2's with anything negative to say about them. Also very popular are the Vokle's.

Out of the women's skis I have used the K2 Burning Luv is my favorite.

I checked Volkl out too when we were shopping. Solid investment... if you can find some on sale, that is ;)

o3jeff

+ 1 on the K2 True Luvs. I picked up last years model on Steep and Cheap for my sister back in January for around $220. Keep your eye out on that site cause i have noticed that they have had a couple different K2 womans skis on there.

SKIQUATTRO

my wife had the 918 awhile back then demoed K2 OneLuv (163) 2 years ago and loves them (68 underfoot) perfect for 90% of eastern days...just picked her up some Line Celebrities (165 and 90 underfoot) for the pow days..

MRGisevil

As an aside, I demoed a pair of Atomic Sugar Mommas just for fun this past Sunday and wouldn't recommend them. Very stiff and wide; a bit overkill for southern/ central New England. Unless you're going to be spending a lot of time out west or far, far north, probably too much ski for her.