• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mount Snow - Vermont - January 9, 2005

Charlie Schuessler

January 9, 2005

Mount Snow - Vermont

30's - Sunshine & Blue Sky – Puuurfect Powder with Snow Making in Progress on North Face

What a day! What more can I say?

The snowfall over the last 72-hours has left Mount Snow with POWDER, did I say POWDER which made the mountain a playground for the Boys & Girls of Winter. I found ice only on one trail in the North face area which was under the lightest POWDER I’ve seen in New England in years.

I haven’t been there since 1988 and my son has never been there and we didn’t pick up a trail map until after the day was done, so I can’t list anything specific, but every trail and glade we glided through was perfect in every way...

What I can really say for sure, is if you have chance to ski Mount Snow in the next few days DO IT!

B

beswift

How deep was the powder? Glad to see you had a good time, but how many shared the happiness with the boys 'n girls? Isn't there a trail on the North Face named "Jaws of Death"? They always seem to blow a great whale on one of those trails.

RossiSkier

Mount Snow 7th, 8th, 9th

Mount Snow was a great place to be this weekend. We had a crew of 12 ski for three days there and there were three totally different conditions. Friday the 7th was a fantastic day. Sunny and clear you could see for mile. The conditions were packed powder and some spots of ice.

BUT THEN CAME THE SNOW. It started snowing Friday night and didn't stop until Sunday. Saturday the 8th was skiing in a snowstorm. Huge mounds of ungroomed snow, chopped up into every shape and direction. Snow was coming down in buckets. Good day to see if your bibs are waterproof.

Sunday the 9th was once again sunny, beautiful and clear. But unlike Friday, there was piles and piles of fresh snow. 4 feet I would estimate. If you were on the lift at 8am it was the single best day of skiing of the year. Run home and get your skis with the fat shovels. Holy cow!

Charlie Schuessler

beswift said:
How deep was the powder? Glad to see you had a good time, but how many shared the happiness with the boys 'n girls? Isn't there a trail on the North Face named "Jaws of Death"? They always seem to blow a great whale on one of those trails.

The mountain was busy and the lift lines in the morning were relative in length, easier area lines were longer than the advance areas, however I did not hear any whining...although I don’t believe they near maximum capacity, they even had one of the longer lifts not even operating.

I don't now the names of the trails without looking at the trailmap. I thought the Northface area was the steepest, however the whole place was loaded with fabulous powder…

tree_skier

beswift said:

It is now just Jaws as the of death was just too morbid for the pc crowd. Also thats why they renamed the Challanger Triple as it reminded too many people of the space shuttle.

It certainly was an awesome weekend however.