WHEN IS IT TOO COLD TO SKI

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

WHEN IS IT TOO COLD TO SKI

Night skiing tonight. Man is it ever gonna be cold. I'll have more layers than grandma's lasagne.

-31 at Mount Tremblant.
    -13 at Whiteface
    -15 at Jay
    -16 Killington

I have skiied this and lots colder. But is it ever too cold? Who's hardcore?

Re: WHEN IS IT TOO COLD TO SKI

Quote Originally Posted by RossiSkier
    Night skiing tonight. Man is it ever gonna be cold. I'll have more layers than grandma's lasagne.

-31 at Mount Tremblant.
    -13 at Whiteface
    -15 at Jay
    -16 Killington

I supposed to go to Jiminy for night skiing tonight...
    Buuuuut.... no... Going to go home and light a fire and fall asleep with the cat on the couch...

You reach a point, and it's different for everyone, where it's just not fun anymore. Wearing 50 layers tends to be uncomfortable to me. So does frostbite. Not saying I won't/haven't done it, just that it's not as much fun. Somehwere the equation balances out, and that's your hardcore line.
    Speaking of too cold, saw a report last night on SpaceLoft making into ski gear next fall. All I can say is "Sweeeeeet." With that stuff, Antarctica isn't too cold.
    "The trouble with internet quotations is that they're often impossible to verify."
    -Aristotle

The coldest I remember was 16 below at Loon last year. That seemed cold enough to me. I have said cold would not stop me , but wow( -31) beer drinking day. Our heat is broken at our office today I have my spring ski coat on.. I can't imagine working outside today. Some really tough people..
    Skiing is my addiction.

Re: WHEN IS IT TOO COLD TO SKI

Quote Originally Posted by RossiSkier

-31 at Mount Tremblant.
    -13 at Whiteface
    -15 at Jay
    -16 Killington

Chicken Man, you are truly hardcore. If you live, post a trip report......

I'll be at Jiminy tonight. I chaparone a school group on Tues. nights so I don't have a choice. Skiing at Whiteface alot, as I do you get use to frigid weather. I just layer up and take breaks when I have to. It is a winter sport after all.

It's about as cold as I'd want it to be.....
    \"J\"

-15 isn't cold. I've skiied colder than that and it still didn't feel cold. I was outside in a sweatshirt today and wasn't cold.

Last January around this time was cold. -45 in some places. Makes for good manmade stuff though.

Friday is supposed to be the coldest day of this week and I'll be up nigh skiing. The good news: A GIANT Nor' Easter coming in Sunday-Monday. Even tomorrow's overnight storm looks good.

Quote Originally Posted by Zand
    -15 isn't cold. I've skiied colder than that and it still didn't feel cold. I was outside in a sweatshirt today and wasn't cold.
    ...wow... You actually skied in a sweatshirt today... Or were you just taking tha garbage out???

Come on.... -15 is friggin cold... - you risk frostbite.. It can be dangerous if your not prepared... It's irresponsible to try and make others think that it's OK to go out in -15 weather.. If they are not used to it....

Giant Nor'Easter? NOAA's not saying anything about it. I hope it comes, really I do. Really really. I want a snow day off!
    "The trouble with internet quotations is that they're often impossible to verify."
    -Aristotle

Thread Information