• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

WHEN IS IT TOO COLD TO SKI

SIKSKIER

The ski areas are definately taking a hit with this cold.Every mt that had cams that I watched were empty.The Superstar quad had about 1 in every 7 chairs loaded.Didnt look at Mt Snow.

Edd

It’s cold enough to push me to Utah next week where conditions don’t appear optimal. My generous friends have been pushing me for a month to join them at a slope side condo they rented at Solitude Jan 6 - 10. Max pass pays for the skiing. $375 direct round trip flight. About as cheap as it gets for a quick trip. I’ve resisted because they’re below average on snow but it’s running 30 degrees warmer out there into next weekend. I was going to spend a few days in So VT but screw it.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

jimk

It’s cold enough to push me to Utah next week where conditions don’t appear optimal. My generous friends have been pushing me for a month to join them at a slope side condo they rented at Solitude Jan 6 - 10. Max pass pays for the skiing. $375 direct round trip flight. About as cheap as it gets for a quick trip. I’ve resisted because they’re below average on snow but it’s running 30 degrees warmer out there into next weekend. I was going to spend a few days in So VT but screw it.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

You are my kind of wimp. Make it snow out there and report back. I am going to UT about 3 weeks after you.

SkiFanE

$.30 toe and hand warmers of have to be one of the best recent inventions. Survived yesterday pretty well. But without those amazing spots of heat not sure it'd have made it long. (Bought by case at Costco they're pretty cheap).

At least cold cold keeps ice and crowds away - skiing is great.

Alpine

Today is definitely too cold. -4 for the high in Lake Placid, but -35+ with windchill at the base.

Yesterday wasn't bad - no wind, and decent conditions for Whiteface.

Glenn

From what I saw, Stratton held off on summit access today. Looks like Mt. Snow ran the Bluebird at a reduced speed. It's pretty darn early for these temps.

Smellytele

Cannon was pretty cold today. At the base it was -12 when we got there at 8:30. It was -11 when we left at 3. Not sure what it was on top. took 4-6 runs and then took breaks. Used hand and toes warmers. Toes got cold just before lunch then replaced the toe warmers. Got a little frost nip on my left check between my googles and balaclava.

kingslug

Well damn. I have to go to Stowe to inspect a place we are buying . Next sunday 10 below with 30 below windchills..Imagine..im there and not ski..WTF..ill try it..but dont want my face to fall off..thats friggin cold.

cdskier

Well damn. I have to go to Stowe to inspect a place we are buying . Next sunday 10 below with 30 below windchills..Imagine..im there and not ski..WTF..ill try it..but dont want my face to fall off..thats friggin cold.

Agreed...I just looked at the Sugarbush forecast for next weekend and saw -11 for the high on Saturday (and that's a valley high temp) with lows both Friday and Saturday nights dipping down into the -20s. I don't know if I want to know what the summits will be.

ALLSKIING

Staff member
-25 windchill yesterday with gusts up to 25mph...it was cold
b8b35c0895a606ea8c374b15af06f83b.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using AlpineZone mobile app

Edd

A number of lift delays at Killington this morning on Twitter.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone