• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Couch to 5K Plan

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Anybody do the Couch to 5K Running Plan?

This is something I've wanted to do for nearly 2 years now. The first year I put it off because I thought I needed better running shoes and to go to a shoe fitter. Last year I didn't because first I was pregnant, then I broke my foot when my son was 2 weeks old. So this year I was ripe for finally putting on those running shoes and giving it a shot!

I LOVE it! I've only done 2 training sessions so far, but it's awesome. Even though I'm not running the full time, I'm getting that runner's high and feeling so peaceful and even-keeled afterwards. Just what I need. Plus I'm making progress already! I accidentally did week 2's intervals tonight (2-3 min walk/90 sec jog) and I did it!!! 25 minutes on the dirt and paved roads at White Memorial, up and down hills and on gravel even! :D I was never a runner so this is a huge accomplishment for me already.

My mom promised I could use her treadmill during inclement weather or when I can't get someone to watch the kids, so I am set! About 8 weeks from now, I should be able to run 3 miles. Woohoo!

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Don't worry, I'm not even sure I hit 2 miles today. I'm doing time instead of distance since I have no way of measuring distance while I'm out there. I think I *walked* a 13 minute mile in high school for the Presidential Fitness thing. I'd love to get in sub-10 minute range for running a mile.

In due time....

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Keep meaning to get back into running. My brother just ran his first marathon recently which was a stretch goal I once had when I was running 5 miles every other day in college. No dreams of distance running at this point, but I keep thinking about sitting down and putting a plan together. I have seen the Couch to 5k plan at cool runnings before and it looks like a solid plan. That type of plan just wouldn't work for me mentally, though. Once I get a weekly routine going, it doesn't take long to work myself up to 5k. By the third week of that plan, I would be bored out of my mind. The getting off the internet part is what I need to work on....

drjeff

About 8 weeks from now, I should be able to run 3 miles. Woohoo!

Kepp up the good work.

What I've found that works for me with respect to running and distance/fitness goals, is to find yourself a 5K race roughly 8 weeks from now, and enter it ASAP. That simple entry into the race is often enough(atleast for me) to give me that extra kick in the butt to get out there and do a training run on thsoe days when my energy levels are slim to none.

For me, I'm basically a 6 month a year runner. I rarely run suring ski seson, and it's certainly not because of a lack of treadmill access as I have 1 in my basement and a full health club in the complex where my ski house is in VT, I tend to just get sick of running on a treadmill. So each year basically in late April/early May I lace up the running shoes which may have been used atmost a half dozen times since early November and start building up the miles(and shedding the winter weight again). If my running season goes correctly, I'll typically peak/finish by running the hartford 1/2 Marathon in mid-october (last year I finished in 1:51 and change). Along the way for training purposes, I run a local 5 miler in early August also. Both races I've already sent my entries in, so that gives me my motivation to hit the track. One of these years I thiknk I'll actually try and keep some of my milage up during the winter months and go for one of my lifetime goals of running a full marathon :rolleyes:

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
What I've found that works for me with respect to running and distance/fitness goals, is to find yourself a 5K race roughly 8 weeks from now, and enter it ASAP. That simple entry into the race is often enough(atleast for me) to give me that extra kick in the butt to get out there and do a training run on thsoe days when my energy levels are slim to none.
Excellent tip! Will do! :D

I'm surprised my left knee hasn't been bothering me more with the running. It was actually well-behaved skiing last weekend, too. Guess the PT really did pay off. :D

ski9

Anybody do the Couch to 5K Running Plan?

This is something I've wanted to do for nearly 2 years now. The first year I put it off because I thought I needed better running shoes and to go to a shoe fitter. Last year I didn't because first I was pregnant, then I broke my foot when my son was 2 weeks old. So this year I was ripe for finally putting on those running shoes and giving it a shot!

I LOVE it! I've only done 2 training sessions so far, but it's awesome. Even though I'm not running the full time, I'm getting that runner's high and feeling so peaceful and even-keeled afterwards. Just what I need. Plus I'm making progress already! I accidentally did week 2's intervals tonight (2-3 min walk/90 sec jog) and I did it!!! 25 minutes on the dirt and paved roads at White Memorial, up and down hills and on gravel even! :D I was never a runner so this is a huge accomplishment for me already.

My mom promised I could use her treadmill during inclement weather or when I can't get someone to watch the kids, so I am set! About 8 weeks from now, I should be able to run 3 miles. Woohoo!

That's actually a great plan...the idea mirrors how some people I run with got into it. Most liked to do hikes, but started jogging the slight downhill sections. And they ended up finishing their hikes five or 10 minutes faster. So the started to jog some of the flat sections and got done even quicker. My advice is to get an easy-to-use watch with stop-watch features. Keep a log of all the places you walk/run, along with the distance and times.

I got into running when my oldest daughter joined her high school cross country team to get in shape for her ski race season. And while her race career ended after high school, she received some decent scholarship money for college. I no longer make fun of cross country....

Anyway, a novice runner in decent shape should first look to jog a sub-30 min. 5k (3.1 miles, of course), eventually working toward running sub-8 minute miles. Everyone's different, so where you go from there depends on how much time you want to put into it.

In know GSS doesn't mind mixing in some walking, but my philosophy is that once you can run a course, try to never give in to dropping out of your jog. Make that a religion...never allow yourself to stop. Taking a break for a runner means to drop off your pace, not to start walking. But, again, everyone's different.

Try music. I almost always run with tunes.

Treadmills: I have one because my road is ice/snow covered for four months, so I use it begrudgingly. I feel slow and bored and a treadmill tends to shorten your stride.

Running used to be punishment for the sports I played in hs/college. "Take a lap bitches" was not a happy invitation by my baseball coach (as a soccer goalie, we ran hills, not distance, for sprint speed). But running changes your life in so many good ways. And 30+ ski runs into the day in early December is not an issue anymore.

And now, when I visit my folks in Florida, I can't wait to run in the 100 degree brutal sun...or on the sand at our shore house. There are so many awesome ways for runners to find challenges.

Buy good running shoes, then pad the hell out of them with Dr. Scholl's insoles.

Eh, sorry for the ramble...good luck running.

ckofer

Website
www.skicheapordie.com
unfortunatly running is something my knees can not take. im even having problems with mountain biking. you would think that i would hurt my knees snowboarding but its one of the few things doesn't inflickt pain.

It may be a pedal issue. My toes point out a little and I found that a pedal that keeps them far enough from the crank helped a lot.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
That's actually a great plan...the idea mirrors how some people I run with got into it. Most liked to do hikes, but started jogging the slight downhill sections. And they ended up finishing their hikes five or 10 minutes faster. So the started to jog some of the flat sections and got done even quicker. My advice is to get an easy-to-use watch with stop-watch features. Keep a log of all the places you walk/run, along with the distance and times.
It's funny because before I saw the program, it never occurred to me to try intervals to increase the amount of time running. Now it makes perfect sense. AND it works!

I
Anyway, a novice runner in decent shape should first look to jog a sub-30 min. 5k (3.1 miles, of course), eventually working toward running sub-8 minute miles. Everyone's different, so where you go from there depends on how much time you want to put into it.
Yeah, not really "decent" shape yet. But I will be by the end of the 9 weeks! :D

Eh, sorry for the ramble...good luck running.
No ramble. I appreciate your input!

Wish I could go for a run today but today is a rest day.

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
Awesome that you're into something. I'm no runner, but I am an avid biker, both Mountain and Road. My only advice to you is to not stop running until you're on skis next fall/winter. If you keep it up, even at modest distances like you're talking about, you'll be amazed....totally amazed at how much better you'll feel after skiing. You'll be able to handle those days with variable snow conditions much better, like the day I recall you posted and talking about on here a month or 2 ago..that had you down.

Like some others have mentioned, I just don't have a runner's build, and my knees pay the price. I tried to run for a couple of weeks this winter when the snowpack was such that I couldn't get out on the mtn bike midweek, and my entire body was in pain. If my knees are going to blow out, its going to be on a ski slope, not a treadmill.

ski9

I tried to run for a couple of weeks this winter when the snowpack was such that I couldn't get out on the mtn bike midweek, and my entire body was in pain. If my knees are going to blow out, its going to be on a ski slope, not a treadmill.

Better to be hit by a car crossing a street in Hawaii than in Trenton...

Not speaking specifically to your thoughts, marcski, but running has gotten a lot of negative press in the last few years because it's been fashionable to focus on impact injuries like shin splints and joint pain. While it's true that your body does take stress from road running, it's almost like the argument where baseball coaches have put too restrictive pitch counts on pitchers. In Japan, as well as prior to a few decades ago in the US, pitchers threw 150+ pitches per outing. They built endurance and arm strength. With good mechanics in throwing, as well as with running, knees and ligaments build strength to tolerate repetitive impact. Eh, but maybe it's just easy for me to say 'cause I've never (knock on wood) had knee issues....

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
I did it! I registered for the Lake Compounce 5K on 7/27 and the Torrington Donors Week Road Race (5 miles!!!!!) on 8/10. :eek:

Guess I better get training!!!

ski9

I did it! I registered for the Lake Compounce 5K on 7/27 and the Torrington Donors Week Road Race (5 miles!!!!!) on 8/10. :eek:

That's very cool. And now that you posted it, there's no possible way to back out, right? Good luck!

drjeff

Cool! In all seriousness, I've found that physically the difference between running a 5k and a 5 miler is ALOT easier than you think it will be, if you've trained for the 5k. A few members of my office staff didn't believe me before they ran in the local early August charity 5 miler, but afterwards they were amazed and how easy that extra 1.9 miles between a 5k and a 5 miler were.

If you've never in a race before, the biggest challenge is often to not get caught up in the excitement of the start, where alot of folks will take off with the pack at a much faster pass than they're used to and "run out of gas" during the race. :eek:

drjeff

EXACTLY. :D

Another training day today of walk/jog. It may be in the rain, but that's okay.

laps at the track last night in the "lovely" 50 or so degree rainy weather we had in eastern CT weren't exactly fun :mad: Took about 6 laps before the shoes were completey soaked through, had to turn up the volume of the ipod to block out the "squish squish" sound with each step I was taking :rolleyes:

Warp Daddy

Pace yourself both in race and race training . I got into running late in life(45) , my son was an All East runner in college div 1 level ( XC and Indoor/outdoor track)and all state in hs .He runs marathons now in his late 30's

So when he left home to go to college i decided to get into it- . Altho a competitor for years in several sports in college and afterwards as an adult ----I'm COMPULSIVE as an athlete ---no half way measures and at 6'2" 208 lbs a bit of a "clydesdale " for serious running .

My mistake was running 7 days a week non stop for 5 years in all kinds of weather. While it was superlative conditioning, it gave me hip bursitis as a reward ! So make sure to do the appropriate rest days to let yourself re-build and then go out and do your routine training and have fun

It is a marvelous activity , great for endorphin highs and the ability to be at peace while also thinking about how to resolve any issues

Take care , have fun

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Definitely. I'm only walk/jogging 3 days a week right now with at least 1 day in between to allow my body to recover. Though I will admit to other activities if I can fit them in (like biking or regular ole walking).

Wish I had an ipod or something like that, but I don't and no money for one. I'll just have to get used to running to ambient sound. :)

wa-loaf

You're going to be in great shape by the end of the summer! Someone's going to be sorry . . . :-D