• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Event/Trip Forum?

Would you use a hiking event/trip forum?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe

• No

• Don't Know

• Total voters

Greg

Staff member
A member recently suggested setting up an Event/Trip Forum for planning and organizing hiking trips. Please participate in this poll, and if there is enough interest, I'll set one up. Thanks for your time!

Mike P.

Events

VFTT added one & I'm unsure how much use it gets. I rarely ever check that one out, personally I don't need two event places as I'm okay if I hike solo when I can't get someone to play with.

Greg

Staff member
I tend to agree Mike. The person who suggested it even mentioned VFTT's, but indicated it's mostly for the ADKs. It doesn't seem to get much use. I'm a firm believer in keeping the number of forums to a minimum. Thus, the poll. If there's enough interest, I'll add it.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
i don't seem to check vftt as much as i used to. in a matter of fact, i think it's been months. then again, i don't hike during the snowy months :-?

i have mixed feelings about meeting other people i don't know for hikes. i love meeting other people when skiing for some turns. but if you don't enjoy the company of someone you're skiing with, it's really easy to part ways. a little tougher during a hike!

i probably wouldn't use it, but maybe i would if there was a group hike of some sort.

Frodo

Just checked, the VFTT Trips/Events forum has gotten over 5000 views in just the past 4 months, though most of the events are ADK related. I am all for a trip/event forum that is more New England related.

pedxing

I don't think the organization of the VFTT trips forum is very inviting for looking into trips. Thebackpacker.com has a new trip forum that took off like rocket. I'm not sure if that could be adapted to the format of this site, or for the regional interests of this forum though.

Mohamed Ellozy

Website
home.earthlink.net
Hiking with strangers

In summer I have lots of ways of hiking: AMC group hikes, friends, solo, all of which I enjoy. In winter finding hiking companions is harder, but given the potential dangers of winter hiking I am much less inclined to do it with strangers.

Some people post so many trip reports and other things that you eventually feel that they are no longer strangers. A few years ago Mike P was arranging hikes in winter on either HJ or VFTT (not sure which) and I tried to join a couple of them, but things fell through. But I would not have been interested in joining an unknown random poster on a winter trip.

Stephen

Website
www.dunhom.com
*BUMP*

I'd suggest having a calendar that people can post their planned hikes as a way of inviting others to join them.

They could also add their itinerary if they wanted to have it somewhere viewable.

I added a calendar mod to my phpbb forum such that, when posting an event, it becomes a thread in one of the forums (hiking, for example). You could post the hike in the hiking trip report forum, and then add your report to it when you come back.

Later on, if someone is looking for a hike around a certain time of year, then can look back to hikes from the previous year on the calendar and find hikes from that time and get an idea of "typical" conditions, etc.

Finally, when used in conjunction with some user control panel mod, you can have users' birthdays appear on the calendar as well!

*phew* :idea: that was a lot.

-T

Greg

Staff member
Sounds pretty cool, the8re. I've tried to not hack this board as much as possible, except for the Gallery script which is only one line of code in one of the phpBB files. phpBB 2.2 will be released this year so it may be tricky to get some of the 2.0.x mod functionality ported to 2.2. However, as with any phpBB release, it's unclear on when it will happen. "This year" could mean December 2004 so if an events forum gets voted in, I'll consider it. It definitely sounds cool. I'm gonna make this poll run for 7 more days from now.

Also, should there be a single forum for hiking and skiing trips/gathering/events, or two separate ones?

Stephen

Website
www.dunhom.com
I would suggest separate, in keeping with the current format of the board.

Skiing Event---> Skiing Event Forum
Hiking Event--> Hiking Event Forum
FOT48 Event--> FOT48 Forum (no need for separate event forum)

-T

Greg

Staff member
I took a look at that Calendar mod on your site and phpBB.com and it is way cool. Could be a really nice feature, provided it's used. I wouldn't want to clutter the boards if it's only used say every few weeks or so. Here's a demo board for anyone that wants to fool with it:

http://rpgnet.clanmckeen.com/demo/ - Click the Calendar link in the top right corner.

the8re - I assume deleting an event thread removes it from the calendar? Also, can you limit it to only include certain forums?

Stephen

Website
www.dunhom.com
Greg said:
the8re - I assume deleting an event thread removes it from the calendar? Also, can you limit it to only include certain forums?

Deleting an event thread removes it from the calendar.

How it works: The mod adds an option at the bottom of the compose thread screen, just before the poll option, to assign a date to add it to the calendar. Leave it blank and there is nothing added to the calendar.

When you view the calendar, you can select a month, year and forum to view. It will only show events from that forum. Further, it will only show events that theuser has access to. If there is a private forum, then only those who have access to that forum will see any events assigned to that forum.

-T

Greg

Staff member
Joshua B said:
Again, I think too many different forums on the index page can be daunting to new folks.
Well, my feeling is that if each forum is warranted, i.e. used, then more are fine. However, I do not want any dead wood cluttering up the board. I know phpBB 2.2 will have sub-forums so perhaps the index could contain only "Skiing", "Hiking", and "Other", kinda like this:

http://forums.alpinezone.com/index.php?c=99

Greg

Staff member
the8re said:
How it works: The mod adds an option at the bottom of the compose thread screen, just before the poll option, to assign a date to add it to the calendar. Leave it blank and there is nothing added to the calendar.
But this capability works in all forums by default, right? Is there a way to disable it on any non-event/trip forums, i.e. all current forums?

Stephen

Website
www.dunhom.com
Greg said:
the8re said:
But this capability works in all forums by default, right? Is there a way to disable it on any non-event/trip forums, i.e. all current forums?

No, I do not see this as an option. I searched it out and there doesn't appear to be an option. I suggested it to the author. Given a couple months, I might be able to add this option myself... but I've got a few "other projects" ahead of that. :wink:

-T

Greg

Staff member
the8re said:
Greg said:
the8re said:

No, I do not see this as an option. I searched it out and there doesn't appear to be an option. I suggested it to the author. Given a couple months, I might be able to add this option myself... but I've got a few "other projects" ahead of that. :wink:

-T
Hmm. Oh well. Anyway, probably not a big deal provided that moving a thread with the Calendar option enabled to the appropriate forum will carry over the Calendar entry. Can you confirm?

Stephen

Website
www.dunhom.com
Greg said:
the8re said:
Greg said:
the8re said:

-T
Hmm. Oh well. Anyway, probably not a big deal provided that moving a thread with the Calendar option enabled to the appropriate forum will carry over the Calendar entry. Can you confirm?

Confirmed. Once the topic is moved and you return to the forum, the event on the calendar adopts the new forum. Further, even if you leave a "shadow topic" in the old forum, the calendar event still adopts the new forum.

-T

Greg

Staff member
Thanks the8re! So, that mod looks like it will suit our needs if I decide to go forward with this. Thanks for confirming it!

Stephen

Website
www.dunhom.com
FYI it took me about 90-120 minutes to perform the mod... of course, this was the first time that I had done any modding, and I picked one the more involved ones.

But somehow I managed to get it right on the first try without too much trouble. And I did it live on my forum... since it was new and not too many posts yet, I wasn't too woried about losing the lot. You may want to do yours offline...

-T