• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

This time it's London...

Tyrolean_skier

Greg said:
JimG. said:
All I said was that going there didn't stop it...I'm not blaming Bush, but it is clearly another political hit for that policy.

Can't you guys see that?
Going there wasn't meant to stop it. And, yes - perhaps this will lead to further criticism of the administration's foreign policy. It'll be interesting to see which lib points that out first. I watched Tony Blair this morning and he looked as pissed as he did visibly shaken and upset. I think you're going to find that he's going stand firmer with the Bush administration now more than ever...

SkiDog said:
What I really wonder here is does it have anything at all to do with the olympic committee decision, and if so would this have happened in whatever host city was chosen?
Interesting theory. Besides NYC, what other cities were under consideration?

I believe the other cities in the running were: New York, Paris, Madrid, Moscow.

JimG.

Staff member
pizza said:
I can understand the reasoning behind Stephen's comment about liberals, but it's overly simplistic and written not to cause people to think, but rather to make people angry. That's not cool.

So lets analyze that statement and see what we can come up with.

* Rules of warfare have changed in the last century, and yes, those of the liberal persuasion have caused this.
* They have been changed to minimize casualties and long-term damage.
* Had we been fighting by the rules of a century ago, this war would be over.

Fair enough.
Now here's why that comment is oversimplified:

* But methods of warfare have also changed in the last century.
* If we were to apply modern rules of warfare to modern methods, the result would be disaster on both sides.
* Civilian casualties would be incredible. Millions dead. There's a word for that: evil.
* Our intention is to create a stable friendly Iraq. Working this way would be contrary to our intention.
* The sheer number of civilian casualties would skew historical perspective: We would go down in history as mass-murderers as some other historical figures have.

Would you rather have that, or have 2000 Americans dead? Most of us would have neither, but if you would be forced to choose one, I would hope we'd all choose the latter.

So while I am most certainly NOT a liberal, I do recognize the importance of their influence in modern America.

Thank you Steve! I'm a little shocked at the bloodthirsty tone of a few of the last posts.

I did truly enjoy what DJAK wrote though, but he forgot the drunken frat boys Rumsfeld and Cheney.

dmc

Stephen said:
My intent wasn't to bait, but to try and tie the many ideas together. I tried to hit them all in one post as opposed to quoting each and every post in separate replies.

BS - I know it's me against the moderators here...

BUT - your accusation towards Liberals made me sick to my stomache...
Finally, what's the reason for U.S. casualties? Liberals. Plain and simple.

You know,.... The last thing I want is to see people maimed... I worked for Walter Reed Army Hospital when this war broke out and I almost cried every damn day when I saw those poor kids with their arms and legs blown off...

It's too bad that all the conservatives that support this "war" don't enlist instead of being chicken hawks..

Stephen

Website
www.dunhom.com
Again... with the chicken hawk.

IF I can't have an opinion on the war because I didn't enlist, that's like saying you can't have an opinion on conservatives because you didn't vote for Bush. Nice try.

But that's not what this thread is about....

The bombing, other than scaring the public didn't accomplish much. Which I am greatful for. I think you'll find the Brits recover better than we do from it. While it has been a while, they've had regular terrorist acts like this in thier recent history.

Our prayers are with the victims.

-Stephen

P.S. dmc, it's NOT you vs. the moderators. Greg disagrees strongly with my post and has posted as such.

dmc

Stephen said:
Again... with the chicken hawk.

IF I can't have an opinion on the war because I didn't enlist, that's like saying you can't have an opinion on conservatives because you didn't vote for Bush. Nice try.

Right - and I'm responsible for the deaths of 1700 people... Don't whitewash that horrible generalization... I expect an apology from you my esteemed moderator...

So I can't be against the war and be an American...

You make me sick...

dmc

Stephen said:
P.S. dmc, it's NOT you vs. the moderators. Greg disagrees strongly with my post and has posted as such.

PS: Whats between Greg and I is between Greg and I... You had me so upset with your accusation - i didnt read Gregs post...

PSS: Quit adding to your posts after you submit them.. It's annoying...

SkiDog

ctenidae said:
I think it's a bit specious to blame the London bombings on Spain, blacknblue. I think Spain was about to pull out, anyway- there was certainly public support for it- but the gov't was looking for a decent way to exit. The voters certainly gave it to them. Yeah, the terrorists claim a victory there, but in reality all they did was hasten what was going to happen anyway.

To get back to Iraq briefly, what, exactly, could have been bombed, Stephen/b] and skidog? A very small percentage of US troops were killed by the Iraqi military- they were pretty well dismantled. The rest have come from insurgents. What would you bomb? Every garage, kitchen, and basement in the entire country?

Back to London, I can't wait to see what kind of footage those CCTV cameras get.

two words come to my mind......PARKING LOT.

sorry its how I feel.

M

dmc

SkiDog said:

sorry its how I feel.

M

Wow.... I pray you never have where you live turned into a parking lot....

Do you have NO compassion for the innocent?

SkiDog

dmc said:
Stephen said:
My intent wasn't to bait, but to try and tie the many ideas together. I tried to hit them all in one post as opposed to quoting each and every post in separate replies.

BUT - your accusation towards Liberals made me sick to my stomache...
Finally, what's the reason for U.S. casualties? Liberals. Plain and simple.

You know,.... The last thing I want is to see people maimed... I worked for Walter Reed Army Hospital when this war broke out and I almost cried every damn day when I saw those poor kids with their arms and legs blown off...

It's too bad that all the conservatives that support this "war" don't enlist instead of being chicken hawks..

dude war aint fun...noone here said it was...but its a fact of life...name one war that EVERYONE agreed with?

I think you'll be hard pressed to find one...noone wants their sons and daughters heading off to die, but its all part of being one of the most powerful countries in the world.

M

JimG.

Staff member
Stephen said:
The bombing, other than scaring the public didn't accomplish much.

Tell that to the relatives of the people who were killed; I'm sure they think otherwise. The comment seems particularly coarse coming from a "pro-life" conservative.

Also, I think your concept of "accomplish" is a little different from the terrorists. Americans like their bombings to take out whole neighborhoods, not some stinking bus. Terrorists don't care about that...they want the attention the media gives them and the terror and fear these acts cause for the citizenry. In these regards, they were once again quite successful.

Participating in these discussions makes me realize more and more that I have no use for the 2 party system.

SkiDog

dmc said:
SkiDog said:

sorry its how I feel.

M

Wow.... I pray you never have where you live turned into a parking lot....

Do you have NO compassion for the innocent?

I think we could easily "remove" the innocent...

oh and I pray I never have a liberal like yourself making any decisions for the United States...

We'd be a bunch of sniveling babies if that happened..

M

dmc

SkiDog said:
dude war aint fun...noone here said it was...but its a fact of life...name one war that EVERYONE agreed with?

I think you'll be hard pressed to find one...noone wants their sons and daughters heading off to die, but its all part of being one of the most powerful countries in the world.

M

What about going into Afgahnistan to get the REAL terrorists?? I think everyone - including myself - was pretty psyched to go in these and dismantle the Taliban and get Osama...

thetrailboss

Staff member
dmc said:

I would not say that. As moderators, the opinions we express are our OWN and NOT that of AZ or the other moderators. Folks can express their feelings/opinions in here and we are here to make sure that things remain civil.

Again, one last time, PLEASE keep this conversation on the topic of the bombing and DO NOT flame each other.

dmc

SkiDog said:
oh and I pray I never have a liberal like yourself making any decisions for the United States...

We'd be a bunch of sniveling babies if that happened..

Nice... A snivleing baby huh... You don't know anything about me...

I'm against..... nevermind... check the other thread..

That comment was ALMOST as lame as Stephens about Liberals...
Why didnt you sign up for the war??

You guys are really pushing it today..

pizza

Website
www.tursi.com
dmc said:
What about going into Afgahnistan to get the REAL terrorists?? I think everyone - including myself - was pretty psyched to go in these and dismantle the Taliban and get Osama...

That was my idea towards Iraq..
I still think that Saddam Hussein was a threat and getting him out was a worthy goal.

I'm not sure what we've been accomplishing there lately though.

dmc

thetrailboss said:
dmc said:

I would not say that. As moderators, the opinions we express are our OWN and NOT that of AZ or the other moderators. Folks can express their feelings/opinions in here and we are here to make sure that things remain civil.

Again, one last time, PLEASE keep this conversation on the topic of the bombing and DO NOT flame each other.

JEEEZE!!!! I already talked to Greg and apologized..

SkiDog

dmc said:
SkiDog said:

M

Maybe everyone HERE in the US, but not worldwide...

but I do belive that the liberal views, while I may agree partly with some of them, are weakening the society as a whole...

I am sorry if I came off as offensive, I meant no attack....please accept my apology..im really miffed about where this counrty is headed as it seems you are too, but for different reasons...

Thats why we have freedom of speech and can think for ourselves...least we STILL HAVE THAT..

M

SkiDog

pizza said:
dmc said:

That was my idea towards Iraq..
I still think that Saddam Hussein was a threat and getting him out was a worthy goal.

I'm not sure what we've been accomplishing there lately though.

Wow I sooo agree...Iraq had been a "thorn" in america side for many many years..

M

dmc

Darn... I was going to reply to Stephens vapid post but it got deleted...
Moderator - moderating himself... cool...

Today has been a tough day for me...
As much as we want to think that terrorists wont change the way we live... My Fiance' and I bought a house away from NYC so we wouldnt get blown up... To call her this morning while she was going onto a subway just upset me... In a couple more months she'll join me here but until then I still fear for her...

I never want to witness what I saw on 911 again.. And I worry about it all the time still to this day...