• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

This time it's London...

SkiDog

dmc said:
To call her this morning while she was going onto a subway just upset me... In a couple more months she'll join me here but until then I still fear for her...

I never want to witness what I saw on 911 again.. And I worry about it all the time still to this day...

I have not been into NYC since....just depresses me on a whole different level than I have ever experienced...

Get her out of there man...SOON...

M

dmc

pizza said:
That was my idea towards Iraq..
I still think that Saddam Hussein was a threat and getting him out was a worthy goal.

I'm not sure what we've been accomplishing there lately though.

Your right... But we had him contained..
We could've waited instead of rushing to war..

JimG.

Staff member
SkiDog said:
but I do belive that the liberal views, while I may agree partly with some of them, are weakening the society as a whole...

Special interests, be they conservative or liberal, weaken American society as a whole because the needs of the few outweigh the needs of the many. As long as concerned citizens (like EVERYONE who has posted here today) fight amongst ourselves over the merits of these special interests, real issues and policy decisions suffer.

So, while we sit here and disparage each other and ignore our common interests and goals, those special interests wind up the winners by default.

I really do apologize to anyone I've offended here today...it isn't my style and I wouldn't want anyone to stop contributing as a result. This has become one of the only places I can express my views and feel I'll get an intelligent if not sympathetic response.

dmc

pizza said:
dmc said:
Your right... But we had him contained..
We could've waited instead of rushing to war..

There's the difference. I didn't see it as rushing in. I thought we were pretty patient with the U.N. and with Iraq itself.

But that was just my perspective..

Rushing in not in the context of tht UN...
More from the context of finishing in Afgahnistan first..
If we could've had more resources we could've sealed off the boarders of Iraq and quelled any terrorists that wanted to enter the country to kill our guys...

I think getting Osama was a higher priority...

SkiDog

JimG. said:
SkiDog said:
but I do belive that the liberal views, while I may agree partly with some of them, are weakening the society as a whole...

Special interests, be they conservative or liberal, weaken American society as a whole because the needs of the few outweigh the needs of the many. As long as concerned citizens (like EVERYONE who has posted here today) fight amongst ourselves over the merits of these special interests, real issues and policy decisions suffer.

So, while we sit here and disparage each other and ignore our common interests and goals, those special interests wind up the winners by default.

I really do apologize to anyone I've offended here today...it isn't my style and I wouldn't want anyone to stop contributing as a result. This has become one of the only places I can express my views and feel I'll get an intelligent if not sympathetic response.

I agree and also apologize (again) if I offended anyone...sometimes I type and then think...its a fault...HA...

M

dmc

SkiDog said:
I agree and also apologize (again) if I offended anyone...sometimes I type and then think...its a fault...HA...

M

YOU don't need to apologize...

Stephen on the other hand with his remark about liberals... Still makes me really mad...

Abusive comment... Totally out of line...

pizza

Website
www.tursi.com
dmc said:
Rushing in not in the context of tht UN...
More from the context of finishing in Afgahnistan first..
If we could've had more resources we could've sealed off the boarders of Iraq and quelled any terrorists that wanted to enter the country to kill our guys...

I think getting Osama was a higher priority...

I see.

Interesting. I'll have to think about that.

ALLSKIING

Staff member
dmc said:
Darn... I was going to reply to Stephens vapid post but it got deleted...
Moderator - moderating himself... cool...

Today has been a tough day for me...
As much as we want to think that terrorists wont change the way we live... My Fiance' and I bought a house away from NYC so we wouldnt get blown up... To call her this morning while she was going onto a subway just upset me... In a couple more months she'll join me here but until then I still fear for her...

I never want to witness what I saw on 911 again.. And I worry about it all the time still to this day...
Its the way the world is now and has been for awhile in other places. As much as I hate to say it attacks are going to happen...BUT your chance of getting hurt or killed in a car accident is MUCH greater then getting hurt or killed by an attack.

Greg

Staff member
ALLSKIING said:
BUT your chance of getting hurt or killed in a car accident is MUCH greater then getting hurt or killed by an attack.
Maybe, but inherent day to day risks are things I'm willing to accept. Some whacko ideology that results in the loss of innocent life is not...

In any event, I hope we're all through with the mudslinging for today. Suffice it to say, that today was a bad day and most of us let our emotions take over, but one more flame and this baby is locked.

ctenidae

Interesting- Merrill Lynch just came out with their "Terrorism Impact Update", showing the effect terrorist attacks have on the financial markets. Two things struck me looking at it- the frequency of attacks is increasing, and the reaction of the broad markets is getting tamer. Even the markets, prone to freaking out at the least provocation, are taking terrorism in stride. Business goes on, I guess...

Can't find a link to it online, but if anyone's interested, PM me, and I'll email it to you.

JimG.

Staff member
Greg said:
Suffice it to say, that today was a bad day and most of us let our emotions take over, but one more flame and this baby is locked.

Sometimes that happens. It proves we're all human and this type of event certainly causes emotional responses. These flames were nothing compared to the bonfires I've seen on other sites.

Really a good group.

ChileMass

I don't have anything else to add to this other than I wish we as civilized westerners would pull together in solidarity against assholes with bombs, whether they're from Afghanistan, Iraq, OK City or wherever. The Brits pulled for us after 9/11, and we should do the same for them today.

Democratic civilization is worth defending - and that's a fact. The rest of it is style points. Forget complaining about whose style is best in putting out the fire, and help put out the fire. If someone comes over here and bombs a major American city or a grade school or poisons a well, we're going to be sorry we stood around bitching each other out and not doing something about the problem.

BeanoNYC

I'm quite sad about todays events. London is a great city (I even got engaged there) and I was happy to see them win the bid for the Olymipics. I'm hoping the best for the victims and their families.

SilentCal

I agree with CHILE!!!!!! Everyone needs to chill out and have a :beer:

:argue: <----- doing this between us lets them know they won

:flag:

SkiDog

ctenidae said:
Interesting- Merrill Lynch just came out with their "Terrorism Impact Update", showing the effect terrorist attacks have on the financial markets. Two things struck me looking at it- the frequency of attacks is increasing, and the reaction of the broad markets is getting tamer. Even the markets, prone to freaking out at the least provocation, are taking terrorism in stride. Business goes on, I guess...

Can't find a link to it online, but if anyone's interested, PM me, and I'll email it to you.

Something on the news this morning regarding exactly this. They pointed out that if the terrorists think they are going to effect our economy with these type things that they have another thing coming.

I hope, though, that we are not "de-sensitizing" ourselves to these type attacks, and remain diligent in removing the individuals responsible.

M

SkiDog

something struck me this morning (also on the news) regarding the size of the devices. They are saying the devices contained only 10lbs of high explosives.

now we're talking about a subway system with thousands of people everyday traveling its trains. Most of these people will have backpacks or breifcases. Those "packs" can all EASILY hold 10lbs of explosives. How can we ever hope to stop this? Seems an impossibility to me, its just to hard to monitor and too easy to bring things in..

This personally scares me. It's one thing for "them" to have brought in explosives over days and assembled a bomb, but for them to just be able to walk in, essentially on a moments notice and detonate something so destructive is really bad.

Why can't we control the ability to obtain these explosives? Is it becasue of the Cold War ending and those less fortunate countries needing to sell of munitions to the higest bidder? Can't they see where this stuff will go? Even if its a black market thing these black marketeers must fear that these devices could effect someone in their family?

Man I just don't get how these people think..thats why its so impossible to win or stop them.

As the wise man Bob Marley onces sang One Love, One Heart, Lets join together and it will be alright....

If only it were that easy..

sorry for the rant.

M

smitty77

Website
hotmix77.tripod.com
SkiDog said:
Those "packs" can all EASILY hold 10lbs of explosives. How can we ever hope to stop this? Seems an impossibility to me, its just to hard to monitor and too easy to bring things in..
You never will stop them (see also: Greg's comment on perpetual killing). I don't know if there is an answer to the problem, especially when they enemy is a coward and won't stand up for a fair fight and doesn't play by the "rules". :x

It was a sad day in the city of London. :cry:

Smitty