• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

This time it's London...

ChileMass

ABC News reported the other night that there was an al-Qaeda "summit meeting" in Pakistan early in 2004 which approved the London subway system and the NY financial district as bomb targets. Now that they've done London - twice - I wonder how long before something happens in lower Manhattan? God help us if it does. I don't feel like getting laid off again.

Let's all agree to support the NYPD, the FBI and the Homeland Security folks........

ctenidae

It wasn't much of a sell off, actually- mostly just what the article said- people taking some gains from yesterday. Of course, the markets would probably be rocking right now, if not for London (and some dissapointing earnings reports). China finally floating the yuan is the best news I've heard all day. Don't think I like the timing, but that's beside the point.

More to the point, looks like an attempted repeat of two weeks ago- 3 stations and a bus, again:
http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,16011047%5E661,00.html

BeanoNYC

Oh gosh, I hope these cops didn't make a mistake, it would just add to the problem. We see this too many times with the NYPD and it's just not good for anyone.

"One of them was carrying a black handgun - it looked like an automatic - they pushed him to the floor, bundled on top of him and unloaded five shots into him."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/4706787.stm

JimG.

Staff member
Thought about this one for a day; didn't want to start any more firestorms. You know, I thought the first attacks in London would be a political pothole for GWB.

I think the 2nd wave is just the opposite...it's a political windfall for him. Not only does it take the Plame thing off the front pages, it bolsters his stance on terrorism.

Al Qaida takes a big hit on this one...if they think they're gonig to scare the Brits with their little bombs they're wrong. The Brits lived through nightly air bombardments during WW II and buzz bombs and V2 rockets at the end of that war. The Brits aren't scared and will ferret these people out like rats. Look at how they've reacted to the past 2 weeks. Instead of setting up "ground zero" like memorials and flocking to the bomb sites to take a look like we do in the US, they were back in the park SUNBATHING right next to the covered shell of the blown up bus from 2 weeks ago the next weekend! Stiff upper lip!

I like the British, they really are our friends.

ski_resort_observer

Website
www.firstlightphotographics.com
ctenidae said:
It wasn't much of a sell off, actually- mostly just what the article said- people taking some gains from yesterday. Of course, the markets would probably be rocking right now, if not for London (and some dissapointing earnings reports). China finally floating the yuan is the best news I've heard all day. Don't think I like the timing, but that's beside the point.

More to the point, looks like an attempted repeat of two weeks ago- 3 stations and a bus, again:
http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,16011047%5E661,00.html

History tells us that in the past 20 years the DJIA has only moved up in the 2nd half of the year three times. I'm hoping this year will be an exception to the rule as I had a great July.

BTW, since I started following Intrawest and Vail beginning April 20th, they are up 16% and 18% respectively.

ctenidae

BTW, since I started following Intrawest and Vail beginning April 20th, they are up 16% and 18% respectively.

I've been half-watching them too- Vail's Q3 earnings are impressive, and I think Intrawest is being bouyed by that a bit. Vail closed on 114 parking spots in Vail Village in June- each one went for $100K. Each.

On to London- The House renewed the USA PATRIOT Act last night, indefinitely. I'm not a fan of that move, personally, but the London bombings certainly provided adequate cover for it.