• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Powder Ridge to be removed from NESLAP?

Big Game

Middlefield Officially Buys Powder Ridge; Town to Seek Operator for Ski Area
Matt Dwyer Reporting

A deed was filed Tuesday morning, making the town of Middlefield the offical owner of the shut-down Powder Ridge ski area. First Selectman Jon Brayshaw says the town paid more than 2-and-a-half million dollars for the property.

Brayshaw says the purchase is an historic day for Middlefield.The town will next look to hire an outside organization to run the ski area, by requesting proposals. Middlefield hopes to charge taxes on the buildings and equipment on the property.

Powder Ridge went bankrupt and closed in 2006.

http://www.wtic.com/Middlefield-Officially-Buys-Powder-Ridge--Town-to-/3578339

Glenn

Wow! Now that's some interesting news! That place is about 10-15 minutes from our house. A few buddies and I used to go there in college every so often.

SKIQUATTRO

used to live 20min from there and actually instructed there......best time top to bottom was :28 sec...
some nice b/c (if you will) off the backside of PowRid.....long hike back, but some good steeps and cliffs......have thought about hiking and getting some fresh pow runs in...

Stache

Website
WWW.SKIWITHSTACHE.COM
I will NEVER forget the radio ads for Powder Ridge back in the 1979-1981 seasons.
I was in the Navy stationed at the Submarine Base in Groton, CT.
There was quite a snow shortage those years, as well as some other stories in the news back then.
The ad started out with a little boy asking "Daddy What's Snow??"
Dad answers "Well son, snow is this white stuff that falls out of the sky."
Son replies "You mean like a DC-10?"
It went on to descrobe Powder Ridge snowmaking capability.

Glenn

The ad started out with a little boy asking "Daddy What's Snow??"
Dad answers "Well son, snow is this white stuff that falls out of the sky."
Son replies "You mean like a DC-10?"
It went on to descrobe Powder Ridge snowmaking capability.

LMAO! I've never heard that one. Although, I didn't move to CT until 1995 when I started college.