• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Lost Ski Area Trip Report: Mittersill

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
i headed up to the franconia notch yesterday afternoon to hike my winter playground, mount jackson aka mittersill. got to see my first snow of the season! before beginning my hike up mittersill's ski trails to look for hidden goodies, i took a measure of cannon mountain's latest improvements including an extension of the peabody base lodge, newly cut beginner trails, and a brand new quad! the trails have been cut for over a year now, but the quad is about half way done. they have the towers and lift and unload terminals up. they still need the bull wheel and drive on the load terminal, the haul cord, and the chairs. definitely won't be ready by opening day, but is scheduled to open this season! snow making pipes are being laid down currently. this area should go a LONG way in reversing cannon's bad rap with beginner skiers. this could arguably be one of the nicest small beginner areas in new hampshire.

on mittersill, i spied a couple of hidden steep and narrow double fall line trails. props to the dedicated skiers that cut them!!! i did my part and cleared a blowdown off one of the trails while i was hiking it. can't wait to ski those bad boys this winter! didn't see any significant brush clearing on any of the slopes. barron's run and the lift line were generally brush free as they were last year. the remainder of the trails are perfectly o'natural!!!! more brushes and obstacles the better! i just love skiing around the bushes!

here are some pictures from my hike of mittersill and cannon - enjoy!
[/url]

I

IndyJones

That looks like it was fun. It's cool that some skiers cut their own trail.

Greg

Staff member
Grat pics! Thanks Steve!