• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Most challenging trail at your home hill?

Highway Star

At Killington, trails in descending order of difficulty, IMHO -
Devils Fiddle - rock line skiers right upper, bigger cliffs in the middle, rocks and water bars at the bottom
Ovation - steep icy bumpy headwall, brushy area skiers right middle, lower skiers right ungroomed very steep and inconsistant
Conclusion Lower - rock line skiers left
Vertigo Upper - very steep, typically a sheet of ice
Lower Downdraft - very steep with sheet ice or choppy bumps
Catwalk - narrow, choppy bumps skied off with thin cover

Glades (on the map) -
Big Dipper - the waterfall/breakover, IMHO the most technical and dangerous spot on the map
Devil's Den - upper (not currently on the map, but was) extremely narrow, steep with several small drops and an optional 15ft cliff, lower is all rockgarden
Centerpiece - more rockgarden, 6 ft cliff across most of the trail
Julio/Juanita - long, with tight trees, gets skied out, cliffy area at the bottom skiers left

Of course, there are other steep trails and challenging glades, but the above stand out has being the most consistently difficult and interesting. If you can ski all of them well, you are a strong expert skier.

Off the map there are a few spots that can be brutally challenging due to the tightness, but are not particularly steep or dangerous. There are a couple that are very steep and very tight.

skiNEwhere

+1 on catwalk. That's a great, underrated trail that some people don't even realize is there. since you have to hike up to it

Puck it

At Killington, trails in descending order of difficulty, IMHO -
Devils Fiddle - rock line skiers right upper, bigger cliffs in the middle, rocks and water bars at the bottom
Ovation - steep icy bumpy headwall, brushy area skiers right middle, lower skiers right ungroomed very steep and inconsistant
Conclusion Lower - rock line skiers left
Vertigo Upper - very steep, typically a sheet of ice
Lower Downdraft - very steep with sheet ice or choppy bumps
Catwalk - narrow, choppy bumps skied off with thin cover

Glades (on the map) -
Big Dipper - the waterfall/breakover, IMHO the most technical and dangerous spot on the map
Devil's Den - upper (not currently on the map, but was) extremely narrow, steep with several small drops and an optional 15ft cliff, lower is all rockgarden
Centerpiece - more rockgarden, 6 ft cliff across most of the trail
Julio/Juanita - long, with tight trees, gets skied out, cliffy area at the bottom skiers left

Of course, there are other steep trails and challenging glades, but the above stand out has being the most consistently difficult and interesting. If you can ski all of them well, you are a strong expert skier.

Off the map there are a few spots that can be brutally challenging due to the tightness, but are not particularly steep or dangerous. There are a couple that are very steep and very tight.

What about the drainage in the woods on the right side of Upper East Fall that bags a right before Lower East Fall and dumps back into the Big Dipper Glade.

dlague

Well I generally don't have a home hill but this year I will - at Cannon I believe it to be Tram Line!

skiNEwhere

473181.jpg

Lake chutes. the shady wall especially. I still have not hit it, waiting for some more snow. It's scary

Yes, that is very scary indeed. That's actually the exact spot I went down.

Domeskier

What about the drainage in the woods on the right side of Upper East Fall that bags a right before Lower East Fall and dumps back into the Big Dipper Glade.

I have it on good authority that this rivals some of the single black terrain in central Connecticut.

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
473181.jpg

Lake chutes. the shady wall especially. I still have not hit it, waiting for some more snow. It's scary

Sweet. This pic is taken from the bottom of that headwall. My line was the small rocks to the right of the Lake Chutes, but they were covered by snow when I went.

Also included a shot from right before the drop in.

Attachments

• 1408494824858.jpg
    1408494824858.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 79
  • 1408494845478.jpg
    1408494845478.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 79

skiNEwhere

^The tricky part about the lake chutes too is that you really can't "wait for more snow" like the original poster of that pic was saying. If it snows a lot, ski patrol will shut it down for avy control. Once it stops snowing, the winds from the western side of breck immediately pick back up making the cornices even bigger. There's a reason there's bare ground on the western side and cornices on the other.

Savemeasammy

I would love to contribute to this thread, but my home hill is Pats. I'm out...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk