• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Limited day ticket sales at all Vail Resorts this year

AdironRider

So am I supposed to be upset about a guy who had a freeze on his credit being denied credit?

Something tells me his "great credit" is actually probably some low 600's score.

cdskier

So am I supposed to be upset about a guy who had a freeze on his credit being denied credit?

Something tells me his "great credit" is actually probably some low 600's score.

I didn't click on the article until reading your comment. I'm inclined to agree with you. This isn't a Vail issue anyway. Uplift is a 3rd party lender used by nearly 200 different companies (and maybe even more if they don't list every single partner on their website). For all we know, the credit freeze could have even been something this person voluntarily put on their own credit at some point and forgot about.

thetrailboss

Staff member
This season people are reporting click-n-bait scam with Vail's so-called "Flexpay". First they advertise 0% interest financing with 0 down for the season pass, then for some reason then say that you are ineligible for the "0% interest financing" and offering you 15% interest financing instead:

https://northstarsucks.com/2023/08/25/epic-failure-with-epic-flexpay-a-vail-experience/
"I REVIEW EACH APPLICATION FOR APPROVAL. ONLY EPIC APPLICANTS ARE ACCEPTED. THIS GUY WRITES A FUCKING BLOG COMPLAINING ABOUT ME 24/7. DO YOU THINK THAT IS EPIC? I DON'T! THE 15% APR IS QUITE GENEROUS!"

rob_katz_0.jpg

Voodoo

Actually anyone could register with credit bureaus (like transunion, equifax, etc) and put lock on credit score checks, opening new accounts, etc. This is nothing to do with the score.

Voodoo

"I REVIEW EACH APPLICATION FOR APPROVAL. ONLY EPIC APPLICANTS ARE ACCEPTED. THIS GUY WRITES A FUCKING BLOG COMPLAINING ABOUT ME 24/7. DO YOU THINK THAT IS EPIC? I DON'T! THE 15% APR IS QUITE GENEROUS!"

rob_katz_0.jpg
15% ?? When a typical APR on credit cards is about 30% ?? Sign me in! LOL

Voodoo

Your credit must suck, my cards are all 10-15%
Chase Sapphire: 21.49% to 28.49% APR, United Mileage Plus: 21% - 29% APR.

15% - could be Apple Mastercard

As for 10% - not sure; is this your mom who is financing you at 10%? (joking, no offense :) Tell her there is a USOI stock ticker which has about 25% yield, paid monthly :)

My score could be better, I know :) Here is a screenshot from my Lifelock dashboard:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-11-29 at 4.53.46 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-11-29 at 4.53.46 PM.png
    23.7 KB · Views: 2

AdironRider

Most rewards cards carry higher rates. You think they pay for those free flights with sunshine and unicorns?

jaytrem

Most rewards cards carry higher rates. You think they pay for those free flights with sunshine and unicorns?
I'm sure I have over 50 free RT flights by now and never paid a dime of interest. If you can stay on top of it, constantly rotating credit cards can be very beneficial. I get a new one about every 6 months as does my wife. Credit score is currently at 829 on the Citi Bank site, so it does not lower that much.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
I have no idea what my interest rate is, never carried a balance, since 1988. I have one card, the same card i had then.

I don't understand that aspect. I try to get a new card every 12-18 months to take advantages of the rewards and sign up bonuses. And of course I close old cards. Sounds like a PITA but I'm not a big income earner/spender and it's still $350-$500 or so of "bonus" rewards put out by the credit card company in addition to the standard rewards I would've earned.

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
Seems like a pain in the ass to me. I'm guessing I'm worth more working, then squeezing money from the credit card companies.

I don't like to fly, and my company card (also had since 1988) get a ton charges to it each month, so if I really need a free toaster, I could use those points for that.

Then again I do all kinds of stupid shit. Like paying $13 to ski McCauley, when they'd probably let me ski for free.

jaytrem

Seems like a pain in the ass to me. I'm guessing I'm worth more working, then squeezing money from the credit card companies.

I don't like to fly, and my company card (also had since 1988) get a ton charges to it each month, so if I really need a free toaster, I could use those points for that.
It takes less than 10 min to open and then close an account. The ones I go for are always worth over $500. So I average over $3000 for an hour of my time, and that's tax free. Unfortunately I don't make $3000 an hour at my current job, so it's worth my time.

As for no flying, there are plenty of other cards to get that just straight up free money or hotel points.

cdskier

I have 4 main CCs at this point each with different rewards. Doesn't constantly opening and closing accounts hurt your credit age and therefore your score? To me constantly opening and closing accounts seems like a hassle. I opened each of these based on bonus rewards offered at the time, but I've never closed any and again since they all have different rewards for different things, they're all still useful anyway (just a pain to remember which I need to use where). Don't even pay any attention to the interest rates as I've never carried a balance so don't care what it is.

jaytrem

Doesn't constantly opening and closing accounts hurt your credit age and therefore your score?
I have a few cards I'll keep forever, or at least as long as they don't charge a fee. Citi Double, Chase Freedom and Discover. That helps avoid any credit age issues.

BenedictGomez

I don't understand that aspect. I try to get a new card every 12-18 months to take advantages of the rewards and sign up bonuses. And of course I close old cards.

That's fine if you dont need to buy a house or buy a new car, but one of the top 4 or 5 aspects of your credit score is age-of-credit, which gets crushed by doing that. My oldest card I rarely use, but I'm not closing it simply because it's over 20 years old.

Every time you apply for a card it's a "hard" check as well, which negatively impacts your score, but this is minor as it only hurts for a year, whereas the age-of-credit impact is basically forever if you close your older cards. Again, as long as you're not buying a house, a car, a boat, or other common crucial credit score things, this isnt terribly relevant.

2Planker

I have a few cards I'll keep forever, or at least as long as they don't charge a fee. Citi Double, Chase Freedom and Discover. That helps avoid any credit age issues.
My checking account was started in 1972.
Acc # starts w/ 00000. Many sites will not recognize the 7 digit number
Have had the same Visa & Amex since 1985

Last edited: