• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Honda CRV v. Toyota Rav4 v. Subaru Forester

bigbog

Forester lift kit!

I think the Foresters can handle slightly larger tires. I'm finding a lift(suspension/body) kit dedicated to the vehicle, which is welcome news = easy & safe tweak for good mechanic.
The videos are fun to watch..but the terrain is usually just mud & water over relatively flat terrain. You try 15mph+ over a few buried rocks & potholes like out in the real world....and you can break an axle without much practice.
Appropriate Tires, with clearance for them...is the answer. either a 2-3" suspension or body lift then a more aggressive tire can work well...just get the spacing/tire right...and check the fender space = a little fender work...and you're good to go.
The thin tire dealers make it look like the thicker you go...the worse mileage you get...not today, 3rd party tire manufacturers make some of the more aggressive tires with firmer rubber than the softer standard highway tires = great glide.
$.01_from_the_sticks
STeveD

Last edited:

ComeBackMudPuddles

I had a black car once. Never again. The thing looks filthy 30 minutes after you wash it. It's an oven in the summer. If I had a "car boy" to wash it every day, they sure look great.

talk about a buzzkill kind of post for HPD....:smash:

highpeaksdrifter

I had a black car once. Never again. The thing looks filthy 30 minutes after you wash it. It's an oven in the summer. If I had a "car boy" to wash it every day, they sure look great.

talk about a buzzkill kind of post for HPD....:smash:

That's ok. He's right about black showing the dirt. I was thinking about buying a white one, but you could only get it with a light interior color which I it didn't care for. Plus I just like the way the black one looks on the few days it is clean. ;-)

Glenn

I had a black Jetta. It got dirty easily, but shined like crazy when I detailed it. You can never beat the shine of a black car.

campgottagopee

I went with a Subaru Forester 2.5X Premium 2010, picked it up last night.

I'm glad I started this thread cause you guys gave me a lot to think about, thanks or that.

A special thanks to Camp for answering the questions I pmed him and giving me good advice.

Nice choice, black is beautiful!!!! Glad you waited for the '10's---heck, they only went up $300 bucks. Glad I could help HPD---looking forward to seeing it covered with snow this year at WF.

Warp Daddy

That's ok. He's right about black showing the dirt. I was thinking about buying a white one, but you could only get it with a light interior color which I it didn't care for. Plus I just like the way the black one looks on the few days it is clean. ;-)

First of all HPD Kudos on nice new set of Wheels !!! Subies are a great choice for we winter sports nuts > hope u get many yrs out of this baby

I too had a 2000 Bitchin Black on Black Celica GT -- one hot looking set of wheels at the time , had to wash that puppy quite a bit but with reflective windshield and rear window sun screens we were able to somewhat control the oven from happening in the summer . They are a PIA to keep using BUT they do help keep the car reasonably cool

campgottagopee

One more thing Subie fans, just got back from seeing the 2010 Legacy/Outback line up. Pix don't do it justice but the car is SA-WEET!

hammer

One more thing Subie fans, just got back from seeing the 2010 Legacy/Outback line up. Pix don't do it justice but the car is SA-WEET!
When do they start showing up in showrooms?

I'm getting close to pulling the trigger on a new Infiniti G37x sedan but I'm keeping my options open...

campgottagopee

Any info on price ranges on the 3.6 variants?

Curious because I'm looking at just under $34K for a G37x...

Nothing "official" other than I know the "base" sedan will start at $19999---based on the 3.0R sedan we used to have I would guess your in the ball park in the "mid" 30's. That car is worth the wait for you to look at. Albeit the G37x is sweet too.

hammer

Nothing "official" other than I know the "base" sedan will start at $19999---based on the 3.0R sedan we used to have I would guess your in the ball park in the "mid" 30's. That car is worth the wait for you to look at. Albeit the G37x is sweet too.
Thanks...need to look at the 3.6 Premium/Limited variants if I want to make a reasonable comparison with the G37x.

Tough part about waiting is that the price I can get on the G factors in a $2000 incentive that's supposed to go away at the end of June...I'd rather delay my purchase, so I'm hoping that Infiniti will extend the incentive...

campgottagopee

Thanks...need to look at the 3.6 Premium/Limited variants if I want to make a reasonable comparison with the G37x.

Tough part about waiting is that the price I can get on the G factors in a $2000 incentive that's supposed to go away at the end of June...I'd rather delay my purchase, so I'm hoping that Infiniti will extend the incentive...

Nissan very rarely changes incentives, so I would guess you'll be safe.

Edd

Bought a 2010 Forester yesterday, X premium trim. It's a sweet ride and Subaru is offering 2.9% financing now.

I consider myself to be a super careful shopper but I missed something when I purchased this. I've had a Sirius subscription for 5 years now and, because the radios are listed as "satellite ready" and they have the appropriate buttons on the stereo console, that it would be as easy as calling Sirius and switching my account to this new radio. Wrong. They have to install the hardware behind the radio first. They charge between $500-600 for this, maiking this easily one of the most expensive satellite radio setups around. Big detail. I checked with Best Buy for a way around this without replacing the deck. No dice. If I replace the deck I risk losing use of the steering wheel audio controls and the aux jack between the seats. This kind of bums me out but my fault for not checking on this deeper.

To end this on a positive note, the car seems super solid and I can't wait to drive it in some snow.

Last edited:

powbmps

The upcharge is rediculous. Does Sirius offer a Skydock like XM? It works great with either an i-touch or i-phone. I hooked one up in my wife's 2010 Outback. Around $100 I believe.

Bought a 2010 Forester yesterday, X premium trim. It's a sweet ride and Subaru is offering 2.9% financing now.

I consider myself to be a super careful shopper but I missed something when I purchased this. I've had a Sirius subscription for 5 years now and, because the radios are listed as "satellite ready" and they have the appropriate buttons on the stereo console, that it would be as easy as calling Sirius and switching my account to this new radio. Wrong. They have to install the hardware behind the radio first. They charge between $500-600 for this, maiking this easily one of the most expensive satellite radio setups around. Big detail. I checked with Best Buy for a way around this without replacing the deck. No dice. If I replace the deck I risk losing use of the steering wheel audio controls and the aux jack between the seats. This kind of burns me up but my fault for not checking on this deeper.

To end this on a positive note, the car seems super solid and I can't wait to drive it in some snow.