• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

New Vehicle to get us to the trailheads.

skijay

I think every manufacturer has a different version of an AWD system, and some are better than others.

Some kick in to late & do not stay on long enough. The computer may sense all is well, but it can not see what is coming up. I can attest to that!

ctenidae

I think every car made will have AWD within the next 5-10 years. It's a pretty good thing, verall, though hyped an awful lot (one reason everyone's going to ahve it eventually).

On Subaru problems, I wonder how much of it can be traced to GM's 50% ownership? Maybe the new Subaru's use the same head gaasket as the old Cavaliers, '80's Silverados, and I don't know how many other makes of GM vehicles...

dmc

I love my 2005 Forester... My last Forester blew it head at around 175,000. And I'm going to get it fixed at the end of the summer for a town beater..

AWD is awesome... Doesn't give me a false sense of security.. It DOES get me up hills where other cars are spinning sideways.. I'm a very safe driver in the snow... Even with AWD...

Also - fits my drumset and ski equipment... Which is very important...

tree_skier

ctenidae said:
On Subaru problems, I wonder how much of it can be traced to GM's 50% ownership? Maybe the new Subaru's use the same head gaasket as the old Cavaliers, '80's Silverados, and I don't know how many other makes of GM vehicles...

The subaru engine issues result from the 2.5 design. the 2.2 had none of the issues (ie head gasket especially around the #4 cyl) of the 2.5. It is a subaru design not GM. Subaru is a wholly owned subsidary of Fuji Heavy Industries. GM owns a percentage of Fuji Heavy Industries.

BeanoNYC

dmc said:
AWD is awesome... Doesn't give me a false sense of security.. It DOES get me up hills where other cars are spinning sideways.. I'm a very safe driver in the snow... Even with AWD...

I just remember to keep the speed down. With AWD you can get moving quick.........it's the stopping on ice that's the problem. I can't tell you how many times I've seen a car/SUV with AWD cruising along, only to skid like crazy when brakes are needed.

dmc

BeanoNYC said:
dmc said:

I just remember to keep the speed down. With AWD you can get moving quick.........it's the stopping on ice that's the problem. I can't tell you how many times I've seen a car/SUV with AWD cruising along, only to skid like crazy when brakes are needed.

Slow and low that is the tempo... :)

BeanoNYC

dmc said:
BeanoNYC said:
dmc said:

Don't forget that White Castle fries only come in one size! :eek:

dmc

BeanoNYC said:
dmc said:
BeanoNYC said:
dmc said:

Don't forget that White Castle fries only come in one size! :eek:

word...

hammer

BeanoNYC said:
I get the sense that most suburbanites who have AWD or 4WD don't understand what it's meant to do and what it does not do...

AWD and 4WD, in my experience, really only help to improve traction when you're accelerating...if you are skidding, it MAY help, but if all 4 wheels lose traction, you're SOL...

I have AWD on both my vehicles and it's been very helpful when I've had to commute during snowstorms, but I still drive slow and "smoothly" when I'm in the snow.

Back to the original question, I have a 2001 Highlander and it's been great. Only a few minor issues under warranty, and even the brakes lasted about twice as many miles as previous cars I've had. I would say, however, that I like how the AWD works better on my Subaru Outback...

dmc

hammer said:
I have AWD on both my vehicles and it's been very helpful when I've had to commute during snowstorms, but I still drive slow and "smoothly" when I'm in the snow.

That was my determining factor in buying another Subaru...
Cause I only take off work when it snows more than 5".. So many days I'm headed down the mountain road to get to the NYS Thruway.. If we take my friends Jetta(TDI) - we almost always lose traction going up the hill..
I drive when it snows... I think I'm a better driver in the snow too...

dmc

BeanoNYC said:
That ride down the mountain through the park can be some scary stuff sometimes!

It truely is... But - I take it slow and steady..
Leave lots of room between cars.. Used low gears instead of breaking.. The whole deal...

bigbog

Re: Thanks for your help and advise

HughK said:
....We finally made a decision and got an excellent deal on a Toyota Highlander......
We got a no frills model-only a single CD changer :roll: , four cylinder that really does hold its own on the highway and the hill through the White's. Went with the four for the gas mileage. Didn't detect a large difference of power to the six. It will get the real test in August with trip to the Bigelow Range and the logging roads...
Great choice,
Much of the issue is really all about torque..drivetrain..etc. My first car was a 74' Corolla which back then..the body possessed the rigidity of a beer can, the the 4Cyl made it EVERYWHERE!...put a hole in the muffler area ~every 2summers, but HughK...I went Everywhere that my Granddad & I went in the Ford Bronco...years before.. 8). Would love to get a new 4Cyl - AlternativeFuel 4-Runner.
:beer: ..that would be sweet..

bvibert

Staff member
dmc said:
...If we take my friends Jetta(TDI) - we almost always lose traction going up the hill..

Does he have snow tires? The VWs that I've had were tanks in the snow when I had snow tires. I think tires are the biggest factor in the snow (next to cautious driving of course). As mentioned earlier, 4WD/AWD will help you get going, but you need traction from the tires to stop and stay on the road.

btw, don't get the wrong idea, I'm a supporter of 4WD/AWD (all three vehicles we own are)... I just think tires are more important.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Trailboss and Ms. Trailboss are close to purchasing our first new car...not an SUV, but a Nissan Sentra with a sporty spoiler. 40 mpg folks.

:beer:

dmc

bvibert said:
dmc said:
...If we take my friends Jetta(TDI) - we almost always lose traction going up the hill..

Does he have snow tires? The VWs that I've had were tanks in the snow when I had snow tires. I think tires are the biggest factor in the snow (next to cautious driving of course). As mentioned earlier, 4WD/AWD will help you get going, but you need traction from the tires to stop and stay on the road.

btw, don't get the wrong idea, I'm a supporter of 4WD/AWD (all three vehicles we own are)... I just think tires are more important.

Not sure... I'm getting snows for next year.. Lots of people around here use studs... :eek:

bvibert

Staff member
dmc said:
Not sure... I'm getting snows for next year.. Lots of people around here use studs... :eek:

I used to have an 4x4 S10 blazer that I would put snow tires on... that was fun in the snow, a little harder to do donuts with though... On my first car, a VW Golf, I had studded snows. That thing went everywhere, I still miss that car... :cry:

skijay

I run 4 snow tires on my Saturn. My new 1992 VW Jetta Eco-Diesel came stock with Eagle GT tires on alloys. Why did VW put Eagle GT tires on a diesel powered Jetta back in 1992????? Needless to say I had 4 Blizzaks for winter driving.