• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Baking

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com

ctenidae

I consider any food that is prepared by heating in the oven to be baking. Stove top is cooking (which I don't like).

What about roasting? You don't bake a potroast, do you? But you can bake a ham. and where does braising fall?

I'm so confused now...

Maybe dry indirect heat = baking
dry direct heat = broiling
moist indirect heat = braising/roasting

What other inane subjects can I over analyze this morning?

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
What about roasting? You don't bake a potroast, do you? But you can bake a ham. and where does braising fall?

I'm so confused now...

:lol: I just adjust the meaning to suit me. Baked ziti and baked mac & cheese are okay--they qualify because I actually like making them. But I don't roast meats. Pot roast is about as close as I get and that's in the crock pot. Any other meat is usually prepared on the grill. ;)

snoseek

I'm so confused now...

Baking and roasting are pretty much the same thing. It's more the product being baked...er roasted. Damn now I'm confused.

Braising=a combo method-usually starting with high dry heat and finished with slow moist heat. Stewing would generally just be slow moist heat. Good beef stew is technically a braise not a stew. Good pot roast is a braise not a roast. mmmpot roast.....

snoseek

:lol: I just adjust the meaning to suit me. Baked ziti and baked mac & cheese are okay--they qualify because I actually like making them. But I don't roast meats. Pot roast is about as close as I get and that's in the crock pot. Any other meat is usually prepared on the grill. ;)

No saute?

I actually don't mind steaks done oven on hi broil. Not charcoal but good enough for when I don't feel motivated.

I knead to make that recipe you floated in here. Maybe tomorrow

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
No saute?

I actually don't mind steaks done oven on hi broil. Not charcoal but good enough for when I don't feel motivated.

I knead to make that recipe you floated in here. Maybe tomorrow

I really don't like to cook. I tried to do some stir frying and even chicken fajitas recently, but I just don't enjoy it. I don't even prepare meat all that often--not that I don't like it, just don't feel creative about cooking it and it gets boring making the same things all the time.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
I really don't like to cook. I tried to do some stir frying and even chicken fajitas recently, but I just don't enjoy it. I don't even prepare meat all that often--not that I don't like it, just don't feel creative about cooking it and it gets boring making the same things all the time.
you and the kids can only eat franks and beans for so many days, Sev........

bvibert

Staff member
you and the kids can only eat franks and beans for so many days, Sev........

:puke: I don't think our kids have ever had franks and beans... They'll live off of chicken nuggets and tater tots (baked off course) if we let them though. ;)

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
:puke: I don't think our kids have ever had franks and beans... They'll live off of chicken nuggets and tater tots (baked off course) if we let them though. ;)

:puke: I actually don't cook many nights because of school. B feeds the kids and I grab a Luna bar or something. But when I do, it's not franks and beans. :lol: