• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Car Quiver & Tires

bigbog

Ah. Should a front wheel drive car get all four wheels? Or is the four wheel alignment only beneficial to those with rear or all wheel drive?

Trying to figure out where to get the tires from at this point. TownFair "price matches" online (with S&H of course, that is fine) but then you need to pay $100 or so for the "online package" which negates the price match. But they throw in a bunch of freebies. Sounds like even the freebies have strings attached. Might be worth just having them shipped in and mounting them locally.

Yep..imho get all four riv, and the addition of the oldschool couple of boxed-up cinderblocks, placed somewhere over the rear-axle really adds to rearend traction, you'll really notice the difference with your vehicle.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Yep..imho get all four riv, and the addition of the oldschool couple of boxed-up cinderblocks, placed somewhere over the rear-axle really adds to rearend traction, you'll really notice the difference with your vehicle.
Duh, of course you get four snows, I've been going four snows for three sets of tires now. That wasn't what my comment was about. Read it in context... it was a back and forth regarding front vs four wheel alignment.

:dunce:

ALLSKIING

Staff member
and the addition of the oldschool couple of boxed-up cinderblocks, placed somewhere over the rear-axle really adds to rearend traction, you'll really notice the difference with your vehicle.

Duh, of course you get four snows, I've been going four snows for three sets of tires now. That wasn't what my comment was about. Read it in context... it was a back and forth regarding front vs four wheel alignment.

:dunce:
Not sure but I would bet he has front wheel drive.

darent

Like TownFair tire making you get a 4 wheel alignment? I've been using DirectTire lately and they don't do all that BS and prices are pretty much inline with what you get a TownFair. Though they did forget to balance my tires once. Noticed as soon as I got on the highway, they fixed it no prob, but it did kill an afternoon.

I bought toyo winter tires for my subie at town fair. they charged me for mounting and balancing and alignment,I saw their add that said it was free so I called them up and they looked up my invoice and sent me a rebate with a note apologizing for the error. I get my tire changeover for free every year, I have no complaints with townfair.a subie needs four wheel alignment. two wheels are free at town fair along with mounting and balancing. not all stores go by their advertising. that is how I received a rebate. I called the corporate headquarters

Last edited:

Geoff

I had a 200 pound granite tombstone in the back of my old Mustang in the early 1980's.

You don't want to put weight in the rear of a FWD VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen

wa-loaf

I bought toyo winter tires for my subie at town fair. they charged me for mounting and balancing and alignment,I saw their add that said it was free so I called them up and they looked up my invoice and sent me a rebate with a note apologizing for the error. I get my tire changeover for free every year, I have no complaints with townfair.a subie needs four wheel alignment. two wheels are free at town fair along with mounting and balancing. not all stores go by their advertising. that is how I received a rebate. I called the corporate headquarters

Maybe they changed their policy, but I quit going to them 3 years ago when I had to pay for an alignment every time I had the tires changed. As stated before cars don't need an alignment every six months.

darent

Maybe they changed their policy, but I quit going to them 3 years ago when I had to pay for an alignment every time I had the tires changed. As stated before cars don't need an alignment every six months.

should have contacted corp headquarters, I have a feeling that some individual stores and service reps try to get away with what they can to boost commissions. I bought my tires from a store near waltham when I was off Island when my wife was attending a seminar. they tried to charge for everything. then I heard one of their radio adds coming home and made the call to corp headquarters- worked out for me. I guess no matter who you deal with you have to watch your butt, seems it is the american way of doing business,scam all you can

wa-loaf

should have contacted corp headquarters, I have a feeling that some individual stores and service reps try to get away with what they can to boost commissions. I bought my tires from a store near waltham when I was off Island when my wife was attending a seminar. they tried to charge for everything. then I heard one of their radio adds coming home and made the call to corp headquarters- worked out for me. I guess no matter who you deal with you have to watch your butt, seems it is the american way of doing business,scam all you can

It's also bad for business I shouldn't have to call corporate to get a refund. I took my money to a place that (as far as I can tell) isn't trying to rip me off or deceive me.

darent

It's also bad for business I shouldn't have to call corporate to get a refund. I took my money to a place that (as far as I can tell) isn't trying to rip me off or deceive me.

true , you would think they would think like you , but it seems these big chains depend on who manages them , the store in hanover has treated me well so far and I am kind of dependent on off island stores because of shipping to the island, would like to try tire rack because of all the favorable comments from here, but the shipping would kill it

hammer

So I think I'm going to pull the trigger on the winter wheel setup at the stealership...been checking craigslist.com and swedespeed.com for the past several weeks and no deals worth the risk.

The package includes Gislaved Nordfrost V tires...anyone had Gislaveds before and if so how were they?

wa-loaf

So I think I'm going to pull the trigger on the winter wheel setup at the stealership...been checking craigslist.com and swedespeed.com for the past several weeks and no deals worth the risk.

The package includes Gislaved Nordfrost V tires...anyone had Gislaveds before and if so how were they?

I think they are the tires that the Altimax Arctics are based on.

AltimaxNordFrost3.jpg

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
I have a friend who has been putting this brand on his Audi for 20 years. He swears by them, and he's a skier,up north a lot. I just had a bit of an issue with the price.

wa-loaf

I have a friend who has been putting this brand on his Audi for 20 years. He swears by them, and he's a skier,up north a lot. I just had a bit of an issue with the price.

That's why you should go with the Generals. It's the same tread, gets great reviews and they are cheaper.

SKIQUATTRO

past: Volvo XC 70 with General Articmax...awesome tire

Current:

Suburban with Firestone Winterforce on dedicated 17"s ... awesome tire

Jeep Wrangler JK on stock 18"s now, deciding to go with a dedicated 17" rim and Winterforce for $872 or go with a really good AT on my stock 18" rims...no confidence in the oem tire for the snow.