• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Car Quiver & Tires

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Phew! Snow tires are now on all three vehicles, mine, the boss and the kid's car. Blizzaks all around. What a PITA, the kid's car, we bought used, I don't think anyone ever took the tires off, the nuts were so rusted! (Low miles, many years). Nobody had any issues with yesterday's several inches. Interesting how different the tire pressures are - Camry is 29 psi, Sienna is 35. Says a lot about weight, I suppose. Tire Rack rocks.

That's the last of the domestic tasks, now bring on the skiing.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
I got some Blizzaks from TireRack this year. They have a really good service. Bought all four tires cheaper than the local shop (including shipping) and got a $50 gift card for free. Mounting was the same either way. Hoping the Blizzaks perform a little better and last a little longer than the Michelin X-Ices, though I understand the more recent version is much improved. They got their first big storm this week and performed admirably but I look forward getting them up to speed on the highway in a few inches.

:beer:

jaja111

I'll second, or rather third TireRack rockin it. My set of studded cheapo Winterforces on steels proved well worth it in today's first official Lake Erie puke out here in Western NY. New England needs a huge lake or two. You can't beat 3inch an hour snowfall with 10ft visibility. Now if TireRack sold some sort of FLIR so I could see......

Hawkshot99

I was going to buy snows for my truck after having them for the first time last year and loving them on a previous vehicle. But I was lazy and had put it off. On the way to work yesterday I was loving the A/T's that came on my truck. Never bothered to put the truck in 4x4, as I went to work.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
We have WS-60 Blizzaks on a Sienna and Camry front wheel drive. My wife claims there is a huge improvement in handling, even in city slush and muck. I put LM-25's on my AWD sedan. We rarely drive on unplowed roads, but they are often snowpacked. When we do drive on unplowed, control is all there. Even the extremely steep 1 mile hill at Stowe is no longer a problem when un-sanded. We're on the highway at speed on a regular basis and quite happy with them.

It's kinda fun to be the fastest in-control car on the metro roads when it's snowing around the metro area. In dryland conditions, I'm the slowest driver, I drive quite conservatively in all conditions.

I'm pleased all the way around. Mounting, steel wheels and tire combined delivered pricing can't be beat. This is the fifth set of tires I've purchased from Tire Rack.

The local guys will always remain, too many people unwilling/unable to change their own tires.

Philpug

Tire Rack IS great, as is Discount Tires Direct. I have had my best luck of late with Craigslist. I have bought and sold many sets of snows there. I guess being a bit south, I find a less used snow than you NE'ers.

hammer

I'm still looking for an alternative to the $1000+ for the Tire Rack recommended wheel and tire set...as expected, my all-season low profile tires don't do all that well in the snow.

Glenn

I was going to buy snows for my truck after having them for the first time last year and loving them on a previous vehicle. But I was lazy and had put it off. On the way to work yesterday I was loving the A/T's that came on my truck. Never bothered to put the truck in 4x4, as I went to work.

I run A/T's on my Grand Cherokee. I picked up a set of Firestone Destination A/T's about a year ago. I'm really impressed with the tires. They do great in the snow. I'm sure a winter specific tire would be even better. However, for what I've driven in, the A/T's seem to really hold their own.

IMG_0038Medium.jpg

Puck it

Toyo Open Country A/T's on the FJ. They were great in the snow the other day. Just replaced the Dunlop Grandtrek(stocks and 50K on them) in September. I got the best price online and Town Fair matched and saved MA tax by going to NH. I loving to giving to Gov. Cadillac Deval.

Philpug

I'm still looking for an alternative to the $1000+ for the Tire Rack recommended wheel and tire set...as expected, my all-season low profile tires don't do all that well in the snow.

For what car? size wheels?

deadheadskier

Staff member

I'm with Phil. Go with Craigslist.

I purchased 4 barely used Dunlop snows (maybe 3K miles on them) on steel wheels for $395 for a set of four. Probably the same size as what you're looking for your Volvo S40 as our Mazda3 is the same platform, similar sized car.

ctenidae

I purchased 4 barely used Dunlop snows (maybe 3K miles on them) on steel wheels for $395 for a set of four. Probably the same size as what you're looking for your Volvo S40 as our Mazda3 is the same platform, similar sized car.

+1- got mine on craigslist, $400, on ASA rims, tires still have the little rubber hairs form the injection mold.

Bit of a different ride from my 19 inch low profile semi-slicks, though. Feel like I'm riding 6 inches higher, balancing on pizza cutters. I'll get used to it though, I'm sure.

Geoff

Tire Rack package Blizzak WS-60 on the GTI
Studded Nokian Hakka SUVs on eBay OEM rims on the Mountaineer

I haven't put the studded tires on the Mountaineer in a couple of winters. I'm only driving it 2 miles from the condo to the parking lot. The studs were for black ice on I-89.

WWF-VT

Brand new Firestone Winterforce snow tires on my wife's Subaru Outback. Glad to have them on driving home in the snowstorm on Sunday. Other car is 2001 Audi A6 wagon. Had to replace my badly worn Dunlop Wintersports 3D when I was doing the changeover the first week of December. Now have Vredestein Snowtrac 3's.

WWF-VT

never heard of them. what made you pick them?

I was at DirectTire when it was determined that my Dunlops were shot and they had the Vredestein Snowtrac 3's in stock. Got a great deal. Vredestein is a Dutch company and the tires get good ratings.

hammer

After your experience, do you still think this approach is a good idea?

hammer

Bump...someone is looking to sell a used set of Volvo alloy wheels and winter tires for $600. Only catch is that the tires are studded Hankook 404's and I'm leery of running studded tires...