• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

iPad released today

drjeff

Thing is, what the iPhone does now and iPad is supposed to do are no-brainers. iPod was innovation. iPhone and iPad are cases of putting products into the marketplace, with tons of sexy marketing, a year before the hardware is capable of providing the experience people really want. A year from now, and AMD will have a chip that can go into an iPad-like device (possibly even the next iPad,) and provide pretty much the same performance a notebook can today at power levels similar to whatever's in the current iPad. Which means a year from now, the iPad can be more than just a big iTouch, or you can have a fully featured Win7-based tablet. Or whatever. But because Apple's been in the market with their big-screen iTouch for a year already at that point, they'll have the market lead.

Trend-spotting and making products people want are way back seat relative to marketing at Apple.

In this day and age though, I'd almost bet that if Steve Jobs popped back up on stage in one of his black, mock turtlenecks and announced that Apple was getting into the toilet paper market, that there would suddenly be pre-orders for millions of cases of it :rolleyes:

dmc

In this day and age though, I'd almost bet that if Steve Jobs popped back up on stage in one of his black, mock turtlenecks and announced that Apple was getting into the toilet paper market, that there would suddenly be pre-orders for millions of cases of it :rolleyes:

He's great business man at the helm of a great American company...

mondeo

The iWipe?

dmc

I dunno man, I've read a lot of accounts from a lot of people that he's a real egotistical, over bearing asshole.

Probably why he's so good at the helm...

I know guys that work for Apple in my industry that absolutely love it... Of course they never met him..

If I wanted to move to the West coast I could probably work there... It's tempting...

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Does that mean he's not a great business man?

I suppose it depends on your frame of reference.

The CEO of our company is a relatively humble guy, very down to Earth and friendly. We lead our market by a long shot, offer services no one else can, and we make the bulk of our research available to the public free of charge. Our position is secure, our employees and our clients are extremely well taken care of.

I just don't think Jobs' approach is the only way, nor is it necessary to be as successful.

bvibert

Staff member
I just don't think Jobs' approach is the only way, nor is it necessary to be as successful.

I agree, but I don't think that means he isn't a good businessman. There's no doubt that he's made a crap load of money, which is the measurement most often used to measure how successful a businessman is IMHO.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
I agree, but I don't think that means he isn't a good businessman. There's no doubt that he's made a crap load of money, which is the measurement most often used to measure how successful a businessman is IMHO.

Unfortunately, that's true. In my own personal estimation of a manager, I weigh interpersonal skills and ethics perhaps heavier than most.

bvibert

Staff member
Unfortunately, that's true. In my own personal estimation of a manager, I weigh interpersonal skills and ethics perhaps heavier than most.

I was just offering a counter point. I'd rather work for someone who is a good, ethical, guy and make less money than the other way around. To me one's success is not measured by money necessarily, but I'm not a businessman either.. ;)

dmc

And you should - it makes it easier for you to operate ethically.. My lack of respect for a higher up on my last job due to questionable ethics is probably what got me laid off..

Sometimes an aggressive, overbearing CEO is a good thing.. Doesn't mean the people lower down are and it also doesn't meant that person is unethical. Just an asshole..

I've worked for some awesome assholes.... haha :)

dmc

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-20003345-37.html

Wozniak, who along with Ronald Wayne and Steve Jobs founded Apple in 1976, recently had himself photographed drinking a beer, staring into an iPhone and wearing a T-shirt that reads: "I went drinking with Gray Powell and all I got was a lousy iPhone prototype."

wozGRAY_270x360.jpg

midd

what say the detractors as the ipad hits one million sold less than a month after the initial release?

as for the CEO/asshole discussion, their primary (and near sole goal) is to maximize shareholder value, and there aren't many in jobs' ballpark.

dmc

what say the detractors as the ipad hits one million sold less than a month after the initial release?

More then a million fanboys... :)

I'm going to wait to see what the new IPhone brings before I even consider.
Work will pay for a new phone - haven't pulled the trigger yet.