• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Advices needed on Okemo

cdc28p

I'll be skiing Okemo on Sat and Sunday this weekend. Do you guys have any recommendations on which trails would be nice for an intermediate? Scenic trails? How's the Jackson area? Anything about the resort I should look out for?

Thanks!!!

Paul

What TB said. :)

Jolly Green Giant is a good top to bottom blue cruiser. Also upper and lower arrow, sapphire, tomahawk. Chief is a good, relatively easy black trail from the summit. The Jackson Gore area has a nice long green (Tuckered Out) as well as some of their steeper blacks (Vortex etc)

Yeah, pretty much the whole Mtn. Have fun!

TwinTips21

Okemo is probably the best mountain for intermediates in Vermont because its so not steep, even from the look of it, it is angled back a lot. Have fun, try and stay away from the crowds!

Zand

Considering you're going on a Saturday, avoid Okemo base and Northstar as much as possible. Use the mid-mountain lifts. If you find yourself at the base, take Sachem instead of Northstar if there's a line. Explore the whole place, 95% of it is perfect for intermediate cruisers.

Tyrolean_skier

killingtonman15 said:
Are there any moguls up there? I am leaving this sunday morning and then coming back the foloowing sunday night...

I have not been there for a few years but I seem to recall one run where the moguls were perfectly shaped. Sorry but I don't remember the name of the trail. Most of the mountain is rolling groomed trails good for cruising.

Rushski

Definitley an intermediate mountain as people are saying. Even most of their blacks are fairly mild.

Solitude and Jackson Gore areas will definitely be quieter on a weekend.

Paul

killingtonman15 said:
Are there any moguls up there? I am leaving this sunday morning and then coming back the foloowing sunday night...

They bump Sel's Choice. That's a black run. I think they also bump Lower Tomahawk, which is a blue run.

WICKEDBUMPER

killingtonman15 said:

Blackout is pretty much always seeded with bumps. Sels choice also always has bumps and you can work 'em off the Black ridge triple at will even on a crowed day.
They also seed the TOP of the Northeaster park every once in a while-but the snows been so bad this year, they have concentrated on Blackout and sels. Check out the ledges, Punchline, tomahawk, upper Limelight, and the plunge. There is a chance any of them could be bumped up - if the bumps developed, they leave 'em be until it becomes unskiable and then they mow. its a real crap shot with those. Some times ALL of them are bumped, sometimes NONE of them. It all dependes on the snow. Last year pretty much all of them were bumped, this year - not more then 1 or 2 at the same time. I dont think the place can keep you happy at this point for a week of skiing.

Ski Diva

Website
www.skidiva.com
Was just there yesterday. The Plunge and Upper Limelight, which usually have bumps, have none. The only bumps are on Blackout and Sel's Choice.

None of the trails are true blacks. But hey, if you like cruising, who cares?

My favorite trail there is Timberline, under the Green Chair. It rolls and it's lots of fun.

Personally, I would never ski there on a weekend. But then, I wouldn't ski anywhere on a weekend.