• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Well, can anyone

zamboniman

tell me what they know about the following skis.
1. Atomic SX 9/10
2. Atomic M9/10
3. Rossi Z5/9
4. K2 Omni 5.5
5. Elan Magfire 10
6. Elan Ripstick
7. Vokl Allstar(S)

I currently ski on K2 omni 3.5 like I said earlier, and want to demo all these skis.

Thanks
Zamboniman

BeanoNYC

I've Demod the Rossi Z9's and Volkl 5 stars and all stars.

I felt the Z9's were a bit clumsy for my intermediate style of skiing. They rode real well, but it was tough for me to get a turn initialted on the groomed runs. I tried a bump run with them but obviously, that didn't work out well.

The Volkl Allstars are real nice, but not forgiving enough for my skill level. The 5 stars on the other hand were perfect for me. Nice quick turns, great pop in the bumps and on the groomers I felt like the skis were glued to the mountain.

Welcome to the forum and keep posting. BTW, Do you drive a Zamboni. I have 8 years experience under my belt on both Zambonis and Olympias.

zamboniman

Thanks Rich,for your response, and no I dont drive a Zamboni, I drive an Olympia, I use Zamboni as the only people that know what an Olympia is, are the people in the bizz. I have ten years experience, I am a Facility Lead Hand, we have a double pad, Gym, 600 person community hall, meeting rooms, senior centre, etc. I live in Midland Ontario, it is about an hour and a half north of Toronto on the shores of Georgian Bay.

Thanks Again,
Trevor

BeanoNYC

zamboniman said:
Thanks Rich,for your response, and no I dont drive a Zamboni, I drive an Olympia, I use Zamboni as the only people that know what an Olympia is, are the people in the bizz. I have ten years experience, I am a Facility Lead Hand, we have a double pad, Gym, 600 person community hall, meeting rooms, senior centre, etc. I live in Midland Ontario, it is about an hour and a half north of Toronto on the shores of Georgian Bay.

Thanks Again,
Trevor

I prefer the Olympia over the Zamboni anyway. It's been quite some time since I've driven one, now, But a huge facility is being built close by and I think i'll try and find out if they need a part-time driver. I understand what you mean about the Zamboni. It's a household name like kleenex. I guess "Iceresurfacerman" would be boring ;)

NYDrew

SX-10 after demoing them, I felt atomic went way down hill. Like clumbsy mack trucks with suped up suspension. It is a poorly made advanced level ski. Those I know who have them have grown to hate them.

Atomic M9/10 - Loved the B5, heard good things about the 10. Felt the B5 was surpriingly agile for such a fat ski...or any ski.

Rossi Z9 - taken my ski school by storm. Over 10 instructors on them incliding both the ski school director and the head ski school supervisor along with one of the techical directors. Heard rave reviews, an expert level ski.

Elan Ripstix - I demoed these the same day I tried the SX-10. Just an awesome ski...definately on my list of things to own. Strong turns, easy zipper lines, stiff as hell. Expert Level Ski.

Allstars - Similar to the SX-10, these skis were worthless for anything other then a GS style turn. well manufactured but no fun at all. Just point and go. Not recommended if you ever plan to leave the groomers, but If you like to rip down them, then you might like these. Most likely the most expert level ski on your list. I may not like them them much because they don't fit my style of skiing (tight turns, off piste) but they still require a well seasoned pilot. Fall to the back seat and say goodbye.

You can test drive the M10, Magfire and Allstars at Labrador Mountain in Cortland, NY where they are always on demo. I might be able to get you a Z9, Z5, Omni and SX-10 to try if you are there. Expect to reimburse others with beer if I can get the reps to lend them to a non-employee.

Tell me a little more about you and I can probably describe all of the above to how you would use them. I'm usually pretty through in my demo's checking all turn types and terrain (if possible). Knowing what ski you are on doesn't help...never skiied a K2.

zamboniman

Thanks NYDrew for your comments very informative, unfortunately I live in Ontario, so I cant hook up and demo with ya.
But as for my ability I am currently using the K2s they are a novice/intermediate ski, I started sking last march(05) after about a 13 year layoff, a friend who kept sking told me to look at a rec ski because it would last me a couple of years, but this isnt the case, I have skied enough to progress in my ability that I feel that I have outgrown them.
I ski at a place called Blue Mountain, its in Collingwood Ontario, it is part of the Niagara Escarpment, It has a 800 ft vertical, guys that have skied at Mont Tremblant say that Blues Black Diamond are equilavent to MT. Trem's Blues and some Blacks. I ski at a strong Intermediate, I ski every hill at Blue including their double blacks, steep pitches but not long runs. I dont ski bumps or glades, not really any at the hill.
I like to go fast for an intermediate, I ski with confidence but not always graceful LOL. I like to do GS turns for the most part but also quick turns if there is maching groomed powder or just straight old powder, I am at heart a groomer lover. I find my skis to soft, in the crud they are to flexible get bounced around. I am 5'10 200 pounds, yes a little overweight. Hopefully this is a help and you can give me some suggestions. I could be an advanced skier but Im not sure, I havent take a lesson since I started again and I am pretty hard on myself. The Z9s when I tried them didnt seem to stiff and the conditions were hard pack/ice, very windy,snowing ran into some drifts.

Let me know what ya think,

Trevor

NYDrew

OK, so you a strong intermediate. Lets knock you up to advanced such that you don't outgrow the ski in a day.

Having almost no vertical to play with (like me), you want a ski that will make plenty of turns on the 800 feet. (forget allstars, ripstix and SX-10/9).

Therefore, my heavy recommendations are:
M10 (not the 9)and Magfire 10

consider the Z9, but its specs dont match what I see people do on them, so I will stay neutral.

zamboniman

Thanks Drew,
I am hoping to demo the M10 this week, and see what else they have to demo, its not a demo day, I will have to pay 35 bucks to try out skis for the day, but I will like to find something for before the end of the season, and then hopefully find a deal in the summer or at the ski show in Toronto in the fall.

Thanks Again
Trevor