• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Cannon Closed today

MikeTrainor

When you check our reports, you expect honesty, and here goes.
Mother nature is in one of her moods this morning. It is warm- 45 degrees at the base, and around 36 on the summit, with a general 10-15 mph wind blowing. We are expecting one more brief line of squalls to move through in the next hour or so, then things will calm down a bit. Forecasts are calling for winds to shift to the west as the day goes on, and cooler air will gradually move in.

Because of surface conditions today, weather and anticipated conditions as the cold air moves in later today, Cannon will not operate today- we anticipate reopening on Wednesday morning at 9:00, with 5 lifts and around 30 trails.

As things cool down tonight, the groomers will be hard at work, working the surface. There is the potential for snow showers and squalls over the next day or two, which would help surfaces come back. And, as is normal after a thaw, every night’s grooming makes a huge difference. Today won’t be a great day to ski, but just watch what the groomers can do over the next few days- the skiing will get better and better.

This Saturday is the annual Ski for Kristen’s Gift Day- Plan now to get here and enjoy the skiing and support this great charity. Winter’s coming back later today, so don’t take out the lawn mower quite yet- we’ll see you up on the mountain.

MikeTrainor

Wildcat too

Looks like Wildcat too!

Good morning from the Cat!! Wildcat will not be operating today, Tuesday, the 14th of March. We received some rain last night and the forecast is calling for a chance of thunderstorms with dropping temps and increasing winds. We feel this decision is in the best interest of our skiers and riders and will help to preserve the snow surface. There is a chance for several inches of snow tonight, so once temps drop a bit this evening, the groomers will come back in and work their magic. We will reopen tomorrow, Wednesday, with three lifts, including the summit quad, and as many trails as possible. The full trail count will not be determined until Patrol goes out on morning sweep. Hey, we got a little rain last night, but we're New Englanders and we'll bounce right back!! Buy your pass for next season & ski the REST of this season for FREE! No black out dates! For the most up-to-date info, speak to a guest services representative by calling 1-888 SKI WILD X217

hammer

Crotched too

Looks like we're up to at least 3 closures for today...from the Crotched Web Site:

Due to damage from heavy rains, operations are suspended today. ** POSSIBILITY OF OPENING THIS AFTERNOON ** Check back here for updates during the day.

This would really stink if it were a weekend...:mad:

Update: They just opened up as of 12:45...sent an e-mail out on their mailing list as soon as they did. The e-mail included the following explanation:

We delayed the opening this morning so groomers could get out and properly work the snow. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT because we are expecting temperatures to drop below freezing tonight.

By grooming NOW and again later tonight as the temps approach the freezing mark, we're ensuring the best possible snow conditions for tomorrow and the rest of this week!

Last edited:

thetrailboss

Staff member
Wow. Three down. I figured that Burke might join the list....but they opened. Makes sense though...close and regroup.

Also, the wind, rain, and freeze on MLK weekend essentially closed Jay and other resorts.

ctenidae

I was at Cannon on Sunday. If the lake that formed in front of the lodge freezes over, it'll be ugly. I think the day was pretty much evenly divided between ice skating and water skiing. It's really no surprise they're closed today.

haines

ctenidae said:
I was at Cannon on Sunday. If the lake that formed in front of the lodge freezes over, it'll be ugly. I think the day was pretty much evenly divided between ice skating and water skiing. It's really no surprise they're closed today.

State Run Mountains ______________________ (you fill in the blank)

ctenidae

haines said:

Are pretty cool?

Not slamming Cannon at all- I was actually pretty impressed it was only as bad as it was- Middle Hardscrabble is completely bare- no snow whatsoever. Kind of weird.

thetrailboss

Staff member
awf170 said:
Are a lot better than places that were bought by okemo and now charge a ton of money.

I agree. You can't blame Cannon for not being open today. My feelings are with Haines though if he drove up there intending to ski and saw they were closed, but I doubt that a lot of people were disappointed.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
haines said:
such as cannon made a similar decision not to open based on weather which is entirely precidented both in the past and with other such notable "skier's mountains" in new england such as wildcat and mad river glen.

State Run Mountains Rule and there are far to few of them these days.

jackstraw

riverc0il said:
State Run Mountains Rule and there are far to few of them these days.

yes they do, Cannon rules and i hope it never changes! although, the changes made recently were for the best. ie, kinsman glade and the opening of tramline!! yes, Cannon rules!!

AdironRider

Kinsman and Tramline are two of the best trails in the east IMO. First tracks on Kinsman after a 1 foot dump is by far the best run Ive ever had.

MikeTrainor

haines said:

Are the only mtns that are a chalenge in new england, Cannon, Wildcat, MRG, Jay, Sugarbush, and Sugarloaf, any other I will argue to the end

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
mike, whoa, hold there a second there my man! mansfield? magic? smuggs? to the best of my knowledge, i think cannon is the only state run mountain in new england since sunapee is technically run by triple peaks. cannon puts up the most challenge in NH for sure and is definitely on the top five for new england. but there's lots else challenging other than state run areas and your list.

skibum1321

MikeTrainor said:
Are the only mtns that are a chalenge in new england, Cannon, Wildcat, MRG, Jay, Sugarbush, and Sugarloaf, any other I will argue to the end
The only state run mountain you listed is Cannon... And I agree with River that Stowe should be on that list. I've never been to Magic but from what I've heard that should probably be on your list too - especially since they have no snow this year. If you want a challenge try skiing from patch to patch of snow down a steep rocky trail ;).

MikeTrainor

riverc0il said:
mike, whoa, hold there a second there my man! mansfield? magic? smuggs? to the best of my knowledge, i think cannon is the only state run mountain in new england since sunapee is technically run by triple peaks. cannon puts up the most challenge in NH for sure and is definitely on the top five for new england. but there's lots else challenging other than state run areas and your list.

Agreed there should have been others on the list. I guess the arguement I was trying to make is sometimes skiers mtns get a bad rap, but they in my opnion are the best mtns out there and I think a lot of people here will agree. However alot of these places are a little rough around the edges and that is what keeps crowds away. I was always an ASC passholder and never really tried any of these mtns until recent years and I am so glad I have found them. I guess my comment was a little harsh now that I read it over

zowi420

haines said:

let NH seniors ski free......offer discounts to NH students......offer season pass discounts to NH residents......let NH school groups use the Flume and Tram for free in the summer......etc. etc. etc.

hammer

zowi420 said:
let NH seniors ski free......offer discounts to NH students......offer season pass discounts to NH residents......let NH school groups use the Flume and Tram for free in the summer......etc. etc. etc.
I guess it pays to be a NH resident.

I take it there are no state run mountains in Mass... :(

MikeTrainor

Cannon is the only state run mtn I know of in the east. NH owns Sunapee but does not run it.