Kid gear

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kid gear

Kid gear

My grandson is 2 years old and of course we want to get him on skies this year. We were planning to do it last season, but it just didn’t work out. We just want to give show him how much fun it is His mother and father are both instructors, mom has working in a children’s program for 13+ years. My question is what do we do for equipment? Do we just get the little plastic skies that strap to boots, or is there actually stuff out there for 2 years olds.

SHUT UP AND SKI

Those plastic strap on skis technically aren't supposed to be allowed at ski areas--at least, they're not at Sundown. There actually is equipment available for kids his age but it's not always easy to find at a good price. Check online forums' sale sections (I think TGR even has a thread for kids' equipment) and local swaps first for a deal.
    "Everyone seems to have a clear idea of how other people should lead their lives, but none about his or her own." ~ Paulo Coelho, The Alchemist

Try Ski Universe for kid's stuff. Great to deal with also.
    Live, Ski or Die Trying!!!
    "Life is not measured by the numbers of breaths we take, but by the ski runs that take our breath away."

SKI THE EAST!!!!!!

I've had good luck in the past with level nine: http://www.levelninesports.com/
    Whatever hits the fan will not be distributed evenly.

Also hit the ski swaps in the fall, but be there first. The kid stuff goes quick!

Check out a seasonal lease from a ski shop. *most* decent shops will have boot/ski sizes to fit 2/3 year olds, you'll probably end up paying a few bucks extra than if you lucked out and found some kids gear at a ski swap. but 1) at the end of the year you won't be stuck with a pair of mini skis/boots in the basement and 2) if the child hits a big growth spurt and/or progresses enough to warrant longer skis, it's usually a simple exchange of gear from the shop you leased from.

I know with my kids, I've leased their gear from one of the shops up at Mount Snow (Equipe Sports) where my place is, and the full seasonal lease for skis/boots/poles(if needed) is basically $100. The last couple of years, as my oldest improved beyond the ability of what tends to just be entry level skis for the under 6 or 7 year old typical sizes, I bought skis for her, but leased her boots (nice 3 and 4 buckle overlap boots), her boot lease for the season was about $40.

This way I've been able to keep the kids in appropriate size and ability gear, with a good assortment to choose from, and not end up with a basement full of 80, 90, and 100 cm skis
    '07--08 season: 51 Days, '08-'09 season: 55 Days, '09-'10 season: 41 Days, '10-'11 season: 49 days, '11-'12 season: 40 Days '12-'13 season: 57 days, '13-'14 season, 60 days '14-'15 season 60 days, '15-'16 season 52 days, '16-'17 season: 50 days '07-'17 seasons: 515 Days

Quote Originally Posted by drjeff View Post
    Check out a seasonal lease from a ski shop. *most* decent shops will have boot/ski sizes to fit 2/3 year olds, you'll probably end up paying a few bucks extra than if you lucked out and found some kids gear at a ski swap. but 1) at the end of the year you won't be stuck with a pair of mini skis/boots in the basement and 2) if the child hits a big growth spurt and/or progresses enough to warrant longer skis, it's usually a simple exchange of gear from the shop you leased from.

I know with my kids, I've leased their gear from one of the shops up at Mount Snow (Equipe Sports) where my place is, and the full seasonal lease for skis/boots/poles(if needed) is basically $100. The last couple of years, as my oldest improved beyond the ability of what tends to just be entry level skis for the under 6 or 7 year old typical sizes, I bought skis for her, but leased her boots (nice 3 and 4 buckle overlap boots), her boot lease for the season was about $40.

This way I've been able to keep the kids in appropriate size and ability gear, with a good assortment to choose from, and not end up with a basement full of 80, 90, and 100 cm skis
    I don't disagree with leasing gear, but if you are stuck with a bunch of kids gear in your basement you are doing it wrong. I've bought most of my kid gear off the net new and sold it used at the swap for pretty close to what I paid for it. There's a big demand for good kids gear at the swaps.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    My grandson is 2 years old and of course we want to get him on skies this year. We were planning to do it last season, but it just didn’t work out. We just want to give show him how much fun it is His mother and father are both instructors, mom has working in a children’s program for 13+ years. My question is what do we do for equipment? Do we just get the little plastic skies that strap to boots, or is there actually stuff out there for 2 years olds.
    How tall is he?
    "Indeed, it is I... The token newbie... Beware my wrath...."

Quote Originally Posted by wa-loaf View Post
    Also hit the ski swaps in the fall, but be there first. The kid stuff goes quick!
    And he means FIRST, like before the doors open. I got there an hour after opening and I might as well have stayed home!
    Sent from my TACPOD (Tactical Airborne Command, Control, Communications and Intelligence Pod) using Satellite TADIL J Alternate Gateway Controller (Alternate STGC) via Blackjack

Quote Originally Posted by tcharron View Post
    How tall is he?

33+ inchee
    SHUT UP AND SKI

Thread Information