• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Post if You Don't Do Facebook

Mapnut

I don't get that. All four of my kids are my friends...and have been for over three years now. (Including my 19-year-old daughter who posted a drunken video at 3 a.m. one morning. I think she was surprised by phone call at 8 the next morning. ; )

I'm just guessing that my kids gear their status updates to their similar-age friends, and would feel constrained if they knew Dad was watching. 2 out of 3 are very good at staying in touch by phone and e-mail.

dmc

Texting is so efficient, especially if you have a decent keyboard on your phone. Phone calls feel painfully slow to me now.

I also hate to have to check phone messages and may not even have access to do so due to network issues.... It's so much easier to use texting...

mondeo

I don't get that. All four of my kids are my friends...and have been for over three years now. (Including my 19-year-old daughter who posted a drunken video at 3 a.m. one morning. I think she was surprised by phone call at 8 the next morning. ; )
This is exactly why I don't friend family. There are parts of my life they don't need to be bothered with. Drunken idiocy, and activities with higher danger levels than my mom would feel comfortable with.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
I'm just guessing that my kids gear their status updates to their similar-age friends, and would feel constrained if they knew Dad was watching. 2 out of 3 are very good at staying in touch by phone and e-mail.
You wouldn't restrain them: you can select who can (or can't) see status updates on an update-by-update basis or by putting people into groups and determining what each group has access to.

mondeo

Make it their choice to friend you or not. Heck, 20 years from now I might not want to friend my kids on whatever the contemporary version of FB is. If stuff from present day works its way on there, it'll just create a string of "But Dad, you [drank beer out of a shoe/jumped a busy cat track/ran into a tree on a mountain bike] when you were young!"

Glenn

I don't have any kind of objection to Facebook....I guess I'm just not into it. If people I know want to get in touch with me, they'll 99.9% time zip me an e-mail or BlackBerry Message. And since I have my phone on me most of the time, I'll get it. So maybe I just don't see a need for it. Plus, do people really give a crap what I do? I bore you guys to death with my TR's in the winter and random pics in the offseason. I can't imagine casting that upon a wider audience.

Re: Cell phones. Maybe it's me...but I find more people hammering away on their phone (sending messages, e-mails websurfing...whathaveyou) vs people talking on them. I'd be surprised if I used my phone as a phone for more than 30 minutes a month.

Geoff

Since this thread has been thoroughly hijacked by people who do post on Facebook....

I find Facebook really useful for reconnecting with people from my distant past. I've filtered out the worst of the drivel. I don't see all the FarmWars or MafiaVille gaming posts. I normally don't put up mindless "I just took a dump" stuff. I try to mostly put up things that are significant in my life. I put up photos when I was doing rehab on my cottage. If I go somewhere cool, I'll put up a photo or two. van Gogh museum in Amsterdam, for instance.

My two big rules are: No co-workers. No family.

midd

I've kept in touch with those I've wanted to pretty well through the last few years.

Also, it's easier to not have an account than have your wife see and subsequently ask about every girl you've ever hooked up with that's a facebook friend. No impropriety, just avoids the hassle and annoyance.

WakeboardMom

I don't have any co-workers, so that's not an issue for me. I don't friend customers though.

A business acquaintance shared a rulewith me that he's made that seems to work well. "If I've had a drink with you, I'll friend you on FB. If I get a FB friend request from someone who's strictly a business acquaintance, I ignore it and send them a Linked-In request." I like that rule.

Marie, I'm specifically referring to the comment

"I'm too old. I don't think my kids want me to be on it."

I'm old, but immature. ; )

Hawkshot99

For me that does not work. I spend so much time with my co-workers that they are my friends. Every day off in winter is spent with at least 1 coworker. I went on a vacation to Utah with 4 guys from work.

mondeo

For me that does not work. I spend so much time with my co-workers that they are my friends. Every day off in winter is spent with at least 1 coworker. I went on a vacation to Utah with 4 guys from work.
I'm not friends with my previous roomate because we work at the same company with me. Lived with him for 3 years, got drunk together, I saw him do stupid shit, vice versa, etc. We don't even work together, he's manufacturing, I'm pure desk job. No matter. Not friends on FB.