• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Breakneck Ridge/Sugarloaf Loop, Hudson Highlands

una_dogger

Despite the ominous forecast, MichaelJ and I enjoyed super weather yesterday, Saturday May 13 here in the Hudson Valley.

After all the recent AMC hype, I decided to invite MichaelJ out for a hike of Breakneck Ridge, and we opted for the Breakneck/Sugarloaf Loop.

Driving north on 9D from Cold Spring, NY -- we got a taste of what lie ahead; a 1.5 mile scramble up from the base of Breakneck next to the Hudson River, 1000ft of which is gained in only 0.4 mile. It was great fun and we took it slowly so we could take in the views of Storm King Mntn, directly across the Hudson.

After briefly pausing at the top of the biggest section of climb, we pushed on over a series of more gentle climbs and knobs until we reached the summit of the ridge.

The trail continues along the ridge for several miles, offering super views of the Hudson River, Storm King, West Point, Black Rock Forest, Harriman State Park, Schenemunk, and the Shawangunks -- ordinarily the Catksills would have framed the backdrop, but ominous storm clouds obscured them from view.

We continued along the path through forests of oak, hickory, sugar maple and beech, and were treated to several glimpses of wild columbine, dogtooth clover, flowering dogwood trees, and some early budding mountain laurel. The forest was alive with the brilliant greens of newly opened leaves and freshly sprouted grasses. This area is unique in that the forest floor along the dips in the ridges is covered with light, feathery grasses.

Finally we dropped down from Breakneck and began a gentle, meandering climb up Sugarloaf, where we enjoyed a birdseye view of Bannermans Island and the ruins of the castles there. The sun was glistening on the Hudson below and several small ships had dropped anchor in the river between the mountains.

The trail back down Sugarloaf drops down into a more traditional hardwood forest with leafy forest floor, and follows a babbling brook for most of its descent. The sounds of the freight trains and cars travelling Rt 9D got closer and closer, and soon we were back out at the height of the Hudson and made our way about a tenth of a mile along the road back to the parking lot.

It was a great day to be out walking in the Hudson Highlands for a few hours, and although the skies threatened a couple of times, not a drop of rain fell on us.

zook

Thanks for report. I was actually in that area on Sunday. I'm planning a hiking trip up the Breakneck Ridge in June for a small group of people and I wanted to check out parking availability and the trail start. What a great trail! I did probably the first 0.2 miles up - just awesome. Great views, too. I'm glad you had good weather.

selski

I did the Breakneck loop on Sunday with my boys (7&8 years old). They finished in 3 hours. We had a great day. Cool air, few people and the trail was pretty dry considering all the rain. This is one of my kids' favorite hikes. The views are spectacular.

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
Agreed - we were surprised at how dry the trails were. It must just run right off that ridge.

Good thing, too, because I would not have enjoyed the initial rock scrambles if they were wet!

Greg

Staff member
Nice to see AZers getting out hiking together too!